Re: Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans [*Read the First Post!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Re: Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans [*Read the First Post!

Post by Marshalrusty »

🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
bellmaniac

The RAC MOD works like a charm! Bots are gone!

Post by bellmaniac »

And the code was very easy to implement. Now if bots figure it out, I can make a simple change to make them start guessing all over again. Many many thanks!
grotevoet

Re:

Post by grotevoet »

ChrisRLG wrote:a. Install a MOD that is unique to your site. This does mean that it will take more work for you to do the scripting yourself, but no spammer is going to go to the length of coding a tool just for your site
First I added Live Email Validation, but none of the Russian mailservers is configured properly, it seems, so that was only a limited success. Then I made a personal adaption to the Stop Advertisement bots which seems to work very well.

What I found strange is that after adding these to my board, and stopping all attempts for about 2 weeks, it looks like the number of tries is going down. The Stop Advertisement Bots MOD send notification emails to the webmaster and I dropped from 10+ a day to one every other day.

It is almost as if these spammer all use the same tool and this tool actually removes protected/troublesome sites from their db ... :?
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Re: Preventing SPAM - Bots and Humans [*Read the First Post!*]

Post by ChrisRLG »

grotevoet wrote:It is almost as if these spammer all use the same tool and this tool actually removes protected/troublesome sites from their db ...
They do !!!.

I have tried one of the tools - they are offered for download with a 30 day evaluation offering just like legit software.

I removed all the forums in the installed copys database ( some 4k+ ) and added 3 of my own to do a testing against my own forums.

So yes - for $30 dollars they are all yours.

They register - monitor an email account for activations emails, and use the activation link to activate the accounts - before posting to the 'most used' room with your spam post.

You just sit and watch the process as it does its job.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

Do they?
I wouldn't know, I haven't had a single spambot manage to register on any of my forums since installing the "Textual Confirmation" mod 4 months ago.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I've had similar succes with Anti Bot Question, about 8 months or longer. Appears to be about the same as textural confirmation. Bots don't think and that's why it works.

What I would suggest is that people don't get in the habit of using too simple a question such as "What color is the sky?" It doesn't have to be hard question, just unique. For example if you run a site about mustang cars your question could be "What model of car is this site about?"

Also make sure the mod allows for multiple answers, eg: mustang or ford mustang
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
jwig

Post by jwig »

HI. I am going to start implementing these right now, but one quick question: Why should we never delete users directly from the table? I tried to check out the Admin Toolkit, but the page is unavailable. I've been deleting hundreds of spam registrations per week directly from the user table.

Thanks!

JWig
Precious and Pleasant Boutique
http://www.PreciousAndPleasant.com
"An Elegant Boutique for Children and Their Mothers"
Free Shipping Code: 412103097
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

jwig wrote:Why should we never delete users directly from the table?
Do not think of the tables as being stand alone - they are intrinsically connected.
To remove a user from your site requires not only their removal from the table phpbb_users but changes to some other tables.

I have seen a link to the Admin toolkit posted recently - if I find it I will post back.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Post by ric323 »

The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
govinda

Post by govinda »

Hi friends,
i got an idea 3 days ago. Since most of the bots get to recognise the characters and enter them, how about putting an image which will have 6-7 lines of confirmation codes. All in different colours and styles.. And ask the user to enter the code which is written in a specific colour.

I think most of the bots are configured to read the codes using a technique whereby the colours in the image are reduced to two colours and only contrasts are considered. Hence, the bots may find it difficult to recognise the code.

i dont know coding . Hence i will be happy if anyone can implement this. I got this idea after i read about the VIP code mod.

What do u say friends.

I think is it better to post this idea in the MOD discussions section.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I say you will really annoy the registrants, especially the color-blind ones, of which there are lots. I also say it is unnecessary, as existing MODs are 100% effective.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
bailrs

Post by bailrs »

My question now becomes, why should I have to Download something to fix this problem...shouldn't the software that has been bought and paid for do it for me?
Phil
Former Team Member
Name: Phil Crumm

Post by Phil »

bailrs wrote:My question now becomes, why should I have to Download something to fix this problem...shouldn't the software that has been bought and paid for do it for me?
You didn't "pay" for anything. phpBB is free.
Moving on, with the wind. | My Corner of the Web
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

bailrs wrote:My question now becomes, why should I have to Download something to fix this problem...shouldn't the software that has been bought and paid for do it for me?
Firstly, as iWisdom has stated above, phpBB is free.

Secondly, bots are specifically designed to bypass the standard software (you would know this, if you completely read the first post in this topic). The solution, therefore, is to change the registration so that the bot becomes confused (once again, explained in the first post).

Finally, I took the time to write (and rewrite) the guide to help you. The least you could do is not complain about the 10 minutes it would take you to implement the suggestions.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
skezza

Post by skezza »

Got to agree with marshal here, the guys at phpBB have put years into making this project and they are offering it you for free. Like he said, bots only have artificial intelligence. They only have the intelligence they are programmed with, therefore, if you can stop them from having enough intelligence to complete the form correctly to register, you will stop them altogether. My personal favourite is Textual, as it allows you to put a number of random questions which you can often relate to the topics on your board. Simple, takes 10 minutes, or 30 seconds if you have easyMod installed. Might be a good idea to start!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”