Announcing MODX

Read me first before posting anywhere!
Subscribe to the feed, available in Image Atom or Image RSS format.
Ideas Centre
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Announcing MODX

Post by wGEric »

Announcing MODX

For the past several months, members of the MOD Team have been collaborating to improve and extend the MOD Template to meet the rising demands of today's new MODs and the MODding community, and in preparation for the impending release of phpBB3. To this end, we're proud to present MODX, the first in a series of initiatives, our next generation of MOD install files.

What is MODX?

MODX is an extended version of the current MOD Template which we have ported to XML. Through XSL transforms, this enables MOD Authors to keep the familiar format of the MOD Template available for their users, while simultaneously adding a level of clarity. The template extensions will also empower MOD Authors with new tools to create and update their MODs.

Why XML?

Since XML is a data storage format, it allows for multiple interpretations. As mentioned before, XSL can be used to retain the familiar MOD Template, but also provide user-friendly HTML formats or even patch files based on your preference. As data, it is language-independent, allowing a smoother MODding experience with localized XSL transforms.

Furthermore, as data, it allows for easier meta-handling of MODs, facilitating community and team projects such as: generating synopsis documents, automated installer tools, syndication, etc.

This will also help keep our community at the forefront of online forum MODding

How do I install a MOD with MODX?

Opening up the MODX file in your favorite (Firefox, Mozilla, Internet Explorer 6, Netscape 6+, Safari) compatible browser will display the MODX file in the MOD Author's XSL visual format of choice. If your browser doesn't support XSL, we plan to add a script to phpBB.com that will translate the XML file into HTML for you.

Also, The MOD Team has been building MODX support right into EasyMOD*. With MODX, EasyMOD will become more powerful, more stable, and less hassle for MOD Authors and their users alike.

How do I write MODs in MODX?

The MOD Team has put together some documentation and tutorials to help ease you into MODX. In addition, we've created some tools to enable you to automatically convert existing MODs over from the old MOD Template.

Will I still be able to use the old Text Template?

Yes, the text template will still be avaliable to use. At this time MOD Authors will still be required to use the Text Template and MODX is optional. We would like authors to use MODX though.

Where can I get more information?

Everything you'll want to know (we hope), including our FAQ, is avaliable in our MODX resource centre.

Feel free to ask any questions and to discuss MODX here.

Here is a MOD that uses MODX.

*Note: The current release of EasyMOD (version 0.3.0) doesn't support MODX. We plan on releasing a version which does support it sometime soon.
Eric
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

The past month has been great! I'd like to thank everyone for your feedback in regards to MODX. Please keep it coming. Recently we have done some updates to fix bugs in the various documents and scripts as well as adding some new features to the XSL file to make it easier to use. The main new feature is the ability to scroll through the code boxes selecting everything in them using the arrow keys on your keyboard.

Head to the Resource Centre to get the updated files and you can view a sample of the new XSL file here.
Eric

Return to “Announcements”