[DEV] Minerva R3 - A modular phpBB portal solution

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Minerva

[DEV] Minerva R3 - A modular phpBB portal solution

Post by Minerva »

Hello All,

I would like to take this oppotunity to officially announce Project Minerva here at phpBB.com. If you have been searching for a real portal based on phpBB then this is what you have been waiting for.

What is Minerva?

Minerva R3 is a modular, highly optimised, portal/CMS solution derived from phpBB 2.0.x and phpBB 2.1.x. It has a number of best of breed mods cleanly integrated into the core along side some innovations of our own to make it extensible via modules and blocks, which means that Minerva R3 is more comparable to portals such as phpNuke or PostNuke rather than the forum only solution it was forked from. All the 3rd party code we have integrated has been done so in agreement with the original authors and we openly document this on our site. To find out more about Minerva R3 and how it differs from phpBB please visit our site.

http://www.project-minerva.org

As project manager it is probably not surprising that I am very excited about the prospect of Minerva R3, but it really is very cool, and will feature match most of the established open source portal solutions when finally released. That final release day is still a way off but we hope to generate some community enthusiam for Minerva R3 now, while it is still pre-beta, so you can get an early glimpse of what it can do and we can encourage some developers to join our project. If you are interested in joining an active team of developers trying to create a quality portal solution then see the details at the bottom post for more information.

The main reason for posting this announcement is to try and attract more developers, so if you are a developer/programmer looking for a cool project to get involved with you just found us!

For those of you who are just interested in finding out more about Minerva R3, read on...

Minerva is Modular

When we started creating Minerva R3 we set an overidding goal. Extending Minerva R3 should be simple and should not require the modification of files in the core. In fact, 'modding' is strictly prohibited with Minerva R3 and we have provided module and block engines to enable developers to create drop in applications and applets. Modules and blocks are entirely self contained and have there own installers so they can be installed/uninstalled with a single click. This means upgrading the Minerva R3 core does not overwrite all the customizations you have added to your site and unlike Minerva R2, IntegraMOD, phpBBFM, etc you don't end up with a single bloated application. You can pick and choose precisely what you want to use, and what you don't. The days of modding and easymod are long gone with Minerva R3 as modules and blocks are managed via the ACP and don't require any manual editting of code or templates. The install process even makes the appropriate database changes and the uninstall can remove the DB changes too.

Performance and Security Optimized

Throughout the Minerva R3 design and development process performance optimization is foremost in our minds, despite the huge array of features that have been added, Minerva R3 is fast and it will get faster as we progress through the Milestones.

The security enhancements are quite subtle in Minerva R3, but they are there none the less and meant that we didn't suffer at the hands of the recent worm attacks. However, in future Milestones we have plans to implement some robust application level protection and detection capabilities which will help give peace of mind to even the most paranoid of site owners.

Milestone 1a - Available Now

Minerva R3 Milestone 1a was released in December 2004 along with a good number of add-on modules and blocks. Minerva R3 is currently considered pre-beta and is not suitable for running production websites, but is suitable for developers and early adopters to get up to speed with the APIs we currently have available. Here are the highlights for Minerva R3 Milestone 1a.

* eXtreme Styles template engine. This was our first area of attention to address our desire for improved performance and modularity. It may sound like we have just re-used code from CyberAlien, but this is not so. Our development team works directly with CyberAlien to improve, extend and optimize XS 2.0.x. Therefore anyone already using XS 2.0.x is already directly benefitting from Minerva R3 development and demonstrates that we pass work back to the original authors whenever possible.
* Other template related improvements include the removal of the '/images/' in the root directory. All images are now linked to a template, there are no 'global' images. Additionally, the .tpls for the ACP are now seperate from the public style. There are numerous other template improvements all of which are to make life easier for template designers or to boost performance.
* We have implemented an advanced cache manager (ACM) which is based on code from phpBB 2.1.x and provides an API for developers to intelligently cache DB queries, thereby reducing server load while increasing performance and scalability. A good portion of the Minerva R3 core is using the cache, but there is still room for more caching and therefore more speed.
* As discussed above, Minerva R3 is equiped with a block and module engines for ease of use and customization.
* The forums have been overhauled and had a number of essential modifications integrated to make them much more functional and feature rich. This work is far from complete and Milestone 3 promises some big changes to the forum code.
* The ever popular Profile Control Panel has been integrated which not only improves the user interface but also and adds many desirable features. We have extended the PCP to integrate with our modules engine and also tightly.
* The Private Messaging system has been replaced with an Advanced Private Messaging system. It includes multiple folders, multiple recipients, PM forwards, PM filtering, send PM to groups, convert PM to email and much more.
* We have impemented a real time instant messaging system which is based on stripped bown Prillian 0.7.0 but it is heavily optimized and now completely independant of the (A)PM system.
* Rules, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright notices are integrated into the core and managed via the ACP.
* PHP 5.x compatible.

Milestone 2 - In Progress

Milestone 2 is under active development and the following has been added or improved since Milestone 1a.

* Back ported sessions.php from phpBB 2.1.x including bots detection and the new ban system. This enhances security and means that R3 sites are now search engine indexer friendly.
* The bbCode parser has been overhauled completely and now all bbCode is dynamic and you can create your own bbCodes in the ACP.
* Prillian has been fixed so the network messaging and automatic detection works.
* Highly optimized colour Groups and Ranks for Groups.
* RSS 2.0 feeds for most of the modules.
* IP Logging including a new PCP panel which shows the IP address and hostname of users when they registered plus every IP they have used and posted. Admins and moderators can now seach the forums by poster IP address and various other security tweaks.
* The block engine has been completely rewritten, the functionality is largely the same but the code is highly optimized and the file layout is consistent with the modules make it far easier to develop and distribute your code.
* More of the templates have been made XHTML compliant. We should be 100% compliant very soon.
* PCP 2.11 integrated.
* Attachments have been integrated with APM.
* Module can be export/imported and backed up. Useful for module developers to export a working module on their server to share with the community.
* An events engine has recently been added enabling developers to create modifications to the core, without modifying any of the files in the core. This is an important step to us acheiving complete modularity and extensiblity because prior to this block and modules could only execute code in their own content, but now they can interact with just about anything.
* Styles are now better handled and this paves the way for enabling Minerva R3 to serve content to traditional computer based web browsers as well as small screen PDA and WAP devices. Minerva R3 could do this now, if we have PDA and WAP friendly templates available. Hint, Hint!

We do not have a relesed date for Milestone 2 at this time.

Official Modules

In order to launch and run our support site at http://www.project-minerva.org we needed some modules to manage content. Therefore we have a selection of modules which are reasonably stable, feature rich and tightly integrated with the Minerva R3 core. These include a Knowledge Base, Links Directory, Download Manager, IRC Chat, News System, Photo Album and Calendar. Milestone 2 has the following modules in development by the official team and 3rd parties, Weblogs, ADR, Statistics and Auction. In total their are 20 or so modules in CVS at varying stages of completion.

Developers Wanted!

We are currently working towards Minerva R3 Milestone 2 and we would like to extend the official development team so we can turn up the development pace and infuse the development discussions, design and direction with new perspectives.

If you are interested in joining the official development team and are skilled in any of the following PHP, XHTML, CSS and/or CSS2, MySQL, MS-SQL and Postgress then please get in touch.

You will also need to be a capable user of CVS or prepared to learn as we host our project at Sourceforge. We are really interested in hearing from seasoned PHP and phpBB developers who can't help with the outstanding integration tasks we have already identified as well as innovating and implementing new features for Minerva R3. Our current template is based on subSilver but updated so that it is XHTML compliant, we really want to get a new look and feel so if there are any template/graphics designers out there who want to express their creative urges we have a just the project for you.

Postgres and MS-SQL

The schema for Minerva R3 has only been maintained for MySQL 3.x and 4.x thus far, although we have documented (most) of the schema changes. We are really interested in hearing from Postgres and MS-SQL developers/DBAs who might be able to assist us in getting our schemas consistent so R3 runs on multiple DBMS. We are also planning a back port of the phpBB 2.1.x DBAL in the near future so other DBMS skills are also in demand.

3rd Party Development

If you don't want to be a part of the official team then you can always develop your own blocks and modules indenpendently and we have some documentation at http://www.project-minerva.org that will help you get started.

Thanks for reading

If you read all that lot, then thank you for showing an interest in our project. But despite the length of this post it really only scratches the surface of what Minerva R3 currently offers, even at this early stage.

I will try to monitor, and reply to, any posts I get to this topic but if you have any questions you would do well to post them on our site where you will get a prompt response from our team members.

We look forward to your visit at http://www.project-minerva.org.

Links

- Official Project Minerva Support Site
- Sourceforge Project Page
- phpBB.com Topic
- Project Minerva HotScripts Listing
Last edited by Minerva on Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Martin.
Minerva R3 - A modular and highly optimised portal solution derived from phpBB 2.0.x and phpBB 2.1.x.
SpiderTech Hosting - A excellent and affordable web hosting provider with first class service.
Smokeydogg

Post by Smokeydogg »

looks like ezportal with more features
vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w »

Except easyportal is non-modular. If you want to add a block, you must open up the code and muck around in it. Minerva is very modular, no changes to the code are required for blocks or modules.
Wanna join a very advanced OO based modular port of phpBB? PM me :)
Merri

Post by Merri »

Quotes don't work as they should on Firefox.

On the other note, there are plenty enough of portals for phpBB already, though it is good someone does it with more style. I'll go back developing my non-portal system and hope I can get more interest as well (my project is modular as well, but it seems my modules are far different from Minerva's module style).
vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w »

Minerva's modules are very inclusive. They can contain entire mods, such as KB, paFileDB etc. The quote bug is only in one module ;)
Joe Belmaati

Re: [DEV] Minerva R3 - A modular phpBB portal solution

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Minerva wrote: HINT, HINT

I've written a pda template based on 240px width that I'll be happy to send to you, and you can implement it, mock about with it, or whatever you want. You can check it out at my site www.belmaati.com, but you'l need to forge your user-agent string. Any valid pda user-agent string or anything with "mobile" in it will work.
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

vze3k59w wrote: Minerva's modules are very inclusive. They can contain entire mods, such as KB, paFileDB etc. The quote bug is only in one module ;)
David, I read somewhere that there is a open SQL-injection hole in pafile, has Minerva dealt with that? Is Minerva using your Template X?
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

BTW, I have also adapted the pafile and kb template files to fit iCG station. Let me know if you want that, and I'll be very happy to send it to you.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Joe, those templates you mentioned sound like they would certainly give us a head start. If you are prepared to share them with us we would be most grateful. Just bear in mind Minerva R3 is under the GPL so you would need to be happy to let your contribution be released using that license.

If you are agreeable you can either PM link here or contact me over at our site.
Regards, Martin.
Minerva R3 - A modular and highly optimised portal solution derived from phpBB 2.0.x and phpBB 2.1.x.
SpiderTech Hosting - A excellent and affordable web hosting provider with first class service.
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Hey, I get stuff for free, I share my own stuff for free. No credit necessary. Will clear out stuff specific to my site, bundle it up, and send you a download link via PM
ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy »

Joe Belmaati wrote: Hey, I get stuff for free, I share my own stuff for free. No credit necessary. Will clear out stuff specific to my site, bundle it up, and send you a download link via PM

:D Thank You
Chris SmithGitHub
vze3k59w

Post by vze3k59w »

Joe, thanks 8)
Chris, change your sig.
drumstix42

Post by drumstix42 »

Sorry for not doing my homework on this mod, as I usual do before I ask a question but anyhow here goes:

I understand this is modular, and I like the concept, makes things easy. But there are some cases, with which you have more than 1 style (have 9 installed and modded up), and the files need a little "tweaking" on some styles.

Does this mod have support for different styles and such?

Thanx for the response, looks like some good work done here.
Need a phpBB update or mod installed? PM me for any questions and pricing!
HostMonster.com (Unlimited Space, Unlimited Transfer, Unlimited Domains, $6.95/month )
webmedic

Post by webmedic »

this isn't really what you would call a mod. It's a complete portal system. Since it is using extreem styles yes it is very easy to add new styles.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Joe, thanks for the PM's. I have replied and we can discuss your contributions more via PM. Thanks for your support.

Drumstix, Minerva R3 is not a mod it is the core of a portal solution upon which modules and block can be easily added to create a site. Your question about the templates is agood one, and R3 goes some way to avoiding the potential issue you outlined but we know it is not perfect yet and something which will get more attention in the future. But, it does support multiple styles right now.
Regards, Martin.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”