[DEV] Card Match visual confirmation

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
menk

[DEV] Card Match visual confirmation

Post by menk »

Name: Card Match Visual Confirmation (tentative)
Description: An alternative visual confirmation based on "matching cards" rather than recognizing letters and numbers that seem to get increasingly difficult to identify. :oP
Demo: Here

To Do
- Clean up code, make more efficient
- Make more intuitive, improve directions

Hi, I'm a n00b to this forum and to modding in general. I wanted to put this mod out there to get some feedback on the concept to see if it's worth putting out a "final" version. I basically modded just the usercp_confirm.php file except for the text I added/changed on the registration page.

I think the advantage to my system is it doesn't rely on bots "reading" characters like we do. Instead, it takes advantage of the fact that we can match concepts of items. We can see two different cows and recognize them both as cows, two different hats, shoes, etc. whereas I believe it'd be a lot more difficult to create a bot that does so.

So far the disadvantage is that it's not quite intuitive or simple as reading a set of characters and typing them. Also for increased effectiveness, the installer would have to create their own image library so not everyone uses the same cows, chairs, etc. Each site would then be unique and pretty unlikely for a bot to be able to crawl the web and be able to spam multiple boards. Then again, that sounds like a lot of work for installation.

Example:

In this case, the confirmation code would be: A8E4F9
... but hopefully you were able to figure that out without me telling you. :o\
Last edited by menk on Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeViAnThans3

Post by DeViAnThans3 »

:lol:
a very nice, secure and funny way of bot registration blocking ;)
great!! :)

is there any way to change the images, in fact? :)
I only provide support via the appropriate topics! Please no PM or mails! :)
My MODs :: [BETA] Facebook Connect
menk

Post by menk »

Heheh, thanks. :o)

Right now I create a folder structure like this:

+[images]
|--+[cow]
......|- cow1.jpg
......|- browncow.jpg
|--+[hat]
......|- uglyhat.jpg
......|- blabla.jpg
......|- hatthingy.jpg
hm.. sorry for the ugly tree...

You can add more category folders and more images within those catagories (through FTP or whatever). The script will pick six random categories to represent each character and pick two random images within each category, one for the "key" image series, one for the randomized image series.

Oh, and the images can be any size since they'll all be resized to the set width before being displayed. The idea is if you want to install more images, you can easily do a Google image search and rip them off (I dunno about copyright issues heh) and stick them directly in the folders. Or if you want to, draw your own images.
pierro78

Post by pierro78 »

very smart mod ! :)

I can't seem to be able to make the other GD-based captcha mods to work on my webhost because it doesn't support GD I believe ... so I am VERY INTERESTED in your mod !

Do you intend to release the sources ???

Thanks !
Last edited by pierro78 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramon Fincken

Post by Ramon Fincken »

watching this ..
Dutch quality fully managed WordPress hosting - ManagedWPHosting.nl

Before changing a file, some code or installing a MOD >> Make a backup first!

Do you like my mods? paypal me $1 :) forumsoftware[AT}creativepulses[DOT}nl [/size]
PhpBBantispam.com || Instant find your mod here
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

that's cool ;) i think it'll need a better explaination under the images though explaining that you need to match up like-images ;)
menk

Re: [DEV] Card Match visual confirmation

Post by menk »

Oh, shoot... I totally forgot I posted this and I stopped working on the project, hahah. Well, I'm glad there are more people interested. I'll move the demo to a different forum since the old test one seems to have disappeared. I'll see if I can get things back in gear within a month or so. Soon this "CAPTCHA" will p0wn all others.

Okay I just wanted to say CAPTCHA so it might turn up in search results. :oP

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”