Reset all permissions

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Buuuh

Reset all permissions

Post by Buuuh »

Hi,

i've already searched for that topic, but haven't found what i was looking for.

I messed up the permissions of my board in some way and want to reset all permissions to default now.

I've installed some mods, which added specific permissions i want to keep and i want to keep all existing users, but just setting their permissions from scratch again.

As far as i understood the database structure, just emptying the tables phpBB_acl_users, phpBB_acl_roles and phpBB_acl_groups should do this, but keep all added rights from the mods (calendar, mchat, ...).
Then just restoring basic content of this tables from install/schemas/schema_data.sql (just that lines, which affect the mentioned tables) should restore the rights for the initial admin user.
Then i can login as admin and set all permissions from scratch.

Is this right? Did i forget anything? Is anything wrong with this approach?

Btw: I haven't completely understood how phpBB merges all these permissions from user permissions, forum permissions, different roles, admins, mods and so on, to result in the effectiv permissions.
Is there some documentation about this?
As far as i read through what i found here and via google, with phpBB3 the "never" permission was introduced, but with that concept i'm missing something like "always" on the opposite.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Reset all permissions

Post by stevemaury »

Knowledge Base - phpBB3 Permissions

Any "Yes" permission is an always unless there is "Never".

I think your plan will work, but have never tried it. If you backup those table first, you have nothing to lose.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Buuuh

Post by Buuuh »

stevemaury wrote:I think your plan will work, but have never tried it. If you backup those table first, you have nothing to lose.
Backup before trying that is self evident.

Ok, then i will try it soon and post the results here.
Buuuh

Post by Buuuh »

Ok, i tried this out as mentioned above and it worked as expected.

Now i have 2 points i don't understand, after resetting all permissions:
  • My user account (not the admin account) has all administrator permission according to effectiv permissions in ACP. But i don't understand where they come from? The user is in administrator group which has standard admin role set. There are no custom user rights or roles set for this user, respectively i can't see anything of those set in ACP. I have another user in admin group and his effective permissions turn out as expected.
    On low level view, there is nothing set for this user in phpbb_acl_users and in phpbb_user_groups he is only in the admin group and registered user group (like i can see in ACP, too).
  • Global moderators see the admin area link in the forum overview. They can log in to ACP but only see the statistics there and not change any settings. But i don't understand, why they can see the link. Is this already default for moderators?
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

The permissions masks are the tools you need to sort this out.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Buuuh

Post by Buuuh »

Ahh, nice, haven't known this feature yet. But that showed me quickly, the permissions are there, because i defined the user as a founder.
Mickroz

Post by Mickroz »

nice, thanks!! this should be added in the STK!
I don't need to "get a life." I'm a Gamer, I have lots of lives!
Q: Whats a hash and a root password?
A: hash gets you high, root password gives you god powers, combine the 2 and you are invincible.

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”