How to NOT list spammers in the member list?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
torbengb

How to NOT list spammers in the member list?

Post by torbengb »

I'm running 3.0.8 with reCAPTCHA, but spammers are still able to register, so I need to find a way to improve the spambot countermeasures. I've read the "read first post" about countermeasures but I'd like to avoid switching to some insane tests (like crazy math) out of consideration to real users.

I'm pleased that all spammy messages are routed to the Moderator Control Panel for approval, so that part works fine. But the spammy registrations still show up in my member list, with spammy URLs -- that's what I want to get rid of. I could manually delete the existing spammy registrations, but that won't stop new ones.

Is there a MOD that simply hides zero-post users from the member list and from the member count in the forum stats in the homepage footer? If spammy registrations are simply never visible, my mission is accomplished.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: How to NOT list spammers in the member list?

Post by KevC »

You're better off stopping them registering in the first place.

Recaptcha appears to have been broken. Switch to the Q&A captcha and you should be ok. It doesn't have to be a complicated question.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
torbengb

Post by torbengb »

Thank you, I will switch to Q&A and monitor new registrations.

Incidentally, are there any good sources for such Q&A content? Or would such sources defeat their own purpose by providing the answers for the spammers as well?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

It depends how you use it although theoretically the spambots can't 'read' so they don't know what you're asking them to put in the box.

I have the answer right there next to the box and it still works. Some people put a link and say type the word on this page, others have a question (just don't do things like what is 2+2 or what colour is the sky - they're done to death).
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”