phpBB Godaddy and Email Delay

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
wbensonix77

phpBB Godaddy and Email Delay

Post by wbensonix77 »

I appologize in advance for the amount of text that follows but I want to try to help make sure this thread finds its way onto the search engines. Feel free to skip to the picture to look at my setup, but please keep in mind this will limit you to 250 relays per day unless you pay GoDaddy for additional relays.

I hope this post will save a few people the hours I spent digging. If so then I've done my good deed for the year.

I know I'm not the only one that has spent way too much time trying to research how to get around the huge delay when sending emails through GoDaddy's hosted service. I'm hoping that people having the same problem I was having will find this post useful. It might save someone the headaches I went through. Please keep in mind this is not how GoDaddy will tell you to set it up. They will tell you to use relay-hosting.secureserver.net for your smtp address. I tried this and it will send mail but it was taking up to an hour for my users to receive their registration notification. Instead of using relay-hosting.secureserver.net I used smtpout.secureserver.net. This is the smtp relay server for the free email account (which you must setup to get this to work).

relay-hosting.secureserver.net:
Advantages - Does not (at least for me) appear to use any of the 250 relays a day your limited to with the free email address you get with your site
Disadvantage- emails, notifications etc, can take up to and somtimes over one hour to deliver.

smtpout.secureserver.net:
Advantage - Emails are delivered almost instantly/immediately
Disadvantage - Emails sent by your forum will use the 250 relays you're allowed daily on the free account. If your board has a heavy traffic load you will need to contact GoDaddy support to increase the number of relays you're allowed daily. There are limitations to the number of relays you can send daily and you may have to pay GoDaddy for additional relays so please keep that in mind when considering this solution.

I was experience these problems/errors and this was the final email setup for GoDaddy using phpBB that worked for me. I'm not promising this will be your fix but if you're having trouble with smtp settings for GoDaddy please give this smtp setup for GoDaddy a try. My email delays for phpBB through GoDaddy went from 30 minute email delay to an hour email delay to almost instant delivery.
1. Emails from phpBB through GoDaddy were failing to transmit via an external SMTP relay (I've read multiple posts doesn't appear to be a way around this, what I'm reading states that GoDaddy blocks customers from using an external smtp for their hosted site <insert choice word here>.
2. Emails using the "Mail" function built into phpBB could take up to an hour to deliver (everything I've read says this can be pretty much expected when using the internal mail function)
3. Emails using relay-hosting.secureserver.net were taking over an hour to deilver. I assume this is due to the number of sites using this unlimited free relay through GoDaddy, it's just an smtp backlog (could be wrong)

Thank you for your patience through all that text...and now the good stuff:
[email protected] must be used as the contact, return and username. I tried using different contact and return email information so I could get the replys at a different account but GoDaddy appeared to be blocking them. The SMTP password needs to match the password you setup for the free email account provided by GoDaddy with your site. SMTP port needs to be set to 80. SMTP will not work on port 25 or alternate port 587 make sure your SMTP is on port 80. Email package size had to be set to 0. When set to the default value of 50 messages were being delivered but were taking 30 minutes to an hour to arrive. Someone with more knowledge of phpBB and what this email package size represents might be able to explain why this happens. I'm not sure, I just know at 50 there's a delay and with it set to 0 emails are being delivered immediately...and now the screen shot:
GoDaddy_Email_Setup.png
GoDaddy_Email_Setup.png (67.35 KiB) Viewed 8493 times
cdthompso1

Re: phpBB Godaddy and Email Delay

Post by cdthompso1 »

Thank you for sharing this. I've read various opinions on this as it relates to Zen Cart hosting at GoDaddy, too. Using the built-in PHP mail() function with relay-hosting.secureserver.net set as the outbound SMTP server in php.ini results in unpredictable but reliably long delays in delivery across all PHP apps, phpBB and Zen Cart inclusive.

I have read in other places that this has nothing to do with our PHP apps at all. Rather, it has something to do with the SMTP mail queue processing at GoDaddy. Of course, delivery can also be delayed if the recipient mail host throttles mail originating from GoDaddy in any way, too. One would imagine that GoDaddy SMTP servers generate a large volume of mail, some suspicious, to most large email providers (Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.). Your solution of using separate GoDaddy mail infrastructure -- that dedicated to email account hosting -- is a good one.
vahagn_iv

Post by vahagn_iv »

I get this:

Code: Select all

Could not get mail server response codes.
Backtrace

Connecting to smtpout.secureserver.net:80
wbensonix77

Post by wbensonix77 »

I want to say I saw that one time and when I double checked I had fat fingered the username/password for the email account I setup with GoDaddy, or I was trying to do it without authentication. YOU MUST use an email account setup with GoDaddy's hosting service (correct username and password) to get this to work. I've been up and running with this setup for about 3 months I think and I haven't received a single error, and mails from my board are delivered almost instantly. If you follow the above directions to the letter it should work just fine. Make sure you check that image I posted and make sure all your settings for email are exactly like I have posted. There were problems too when I had email package size sent to "50" which is default but when put to 0 it went through just fine.

Good luck...if you follow these directions and screenshots to the letter you should be good to go. Just remember you're going to have a 250 relay/day limit. So if you're sending out mass emails or you have 100's of active members PM'n and emailing regularly you might run into issues. My board only has about 50 members right now and looking through the logs I only see about 20 emails per day being sent, so I've got some room to grow on :)
mutzi

Post by mutzi »

Thank you wbensonix77!
I registered to this forum now, just to thank you - your solution is PERFECT.
I have been searching for a solution all day, including calling GoDaddy's support.
nothing helped.
bustersnm

Post by bustersnm »

Yes...... Thank you so much. Fixed my php forums... Now i hope it works on my joomla phpmail...:)
Please provide us with the information necessary to assist you by filling out the Support Request Template.
PixyT

Post by PixyT »

Hope someone can help I did everything exactly as per the screenshot but I get this error:
-mail error
» EMAIL/SMTP
/adm/index.php

Ran into problems sending e-mail at Line 1382. Response: 501 Authentication failed.
Backtrace

Connecting to smtpout.secureserver.net:80
LINE: 995 <- 220 p3plsmtpa06-04.prod.phx3.secureserver.net ESMTP

# EHLO sg2nlhg002.shr.prod.sin2.secureserver.net
LINE: 1267 <- 250-p3plsmtpa06-04.prod.phx3.secureserver.net

LINE: 1267 <- 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN

LINE: 1267 <- 250-8BITMIME

LINE: 1267 <- 250 PIPELINING

# AUTH PLAIN
LINE: 1375 <- 334

# Omitting sensitive information
LINE: 1382 <- 501 Authentication failed.
sleevedbiker

Post by sleevedbiker »

wbensonix77 wrote:I appologize in advance for the amount of text that follows but I want to try to help make sure this thread finds its way onto the search engines. Feel free to skip to the picture to look at my setup, but please keep in mind this will limit you to 250 relays per day unless you pay GoDaddy for additional relays.

I hope this post will save a few people the hours I spent digging. If so then I've done my good deed for the year.

I know I'm not the only one that has spent way too much time trying to research how to get around the huge delay when sending emails through GoDaddy's hosted service. I'm hoping that people having the same problem I was having will find this post useful. It might save someone the headaches I went through. Please keep in mind this is not how GoDaddy will tell you to set it up. They will tell you to use relay-hosting.secureserver.net for your smtp address. I tried this and it will send mail but it was taking up to an hour for my users to receive their registration notification. Instead of using relay-hosting.secureserver.net I used smtpout.secureserver.net. This is the smtp relay server for the free email account (which you must setup to get this to work).

relay-hosting.secureserver.net:
Advantages - Does not (at least for me) appear to use any of the 250 relays a day your limited to with the free email address you get with your site
Disadvantage- emails, notifications etc, can take up to and somtimes over one hour to deliver.

smtpout.secureserver.net:
Advantage - Emails are delivered almost instantly/immediately
Disadvantage - Emails sent by your forum will use the 250 relays you're allowed daily on the free account. If your board has a heavy traffic load you will need to contact GoDaddy support to increase the number of relays you're allowed daily. There are limitations to the number of relays you can send daily and you may have to pay GoDaddy for additional relays so please keep that in mind when considering this solution.

I was experience these problems/errors and this was the final email setup for GoDaddy using phpBB that worked for me. I'm not promising this will be your fix but if you're having trouble with smtp settings for GoDaddy please give this smtp setup for GoDaddy a try. My email delays for phpBB through GoDaddy went from 30 minute email delay to an hour email delay to almost instant delivery.
1. Emails from phpBB through GoDaddy were failing to transmit via an external SMTP relay (I've read multiple posts doesn't appear to be a way around this, what I'm reading states that GoDaddy blocks customers from using an external smtp for their hosted site <insert choice word here>.
2. Emails using the "Mail" function built into phpBB could take up to an hour to deliver (everything I've read says this can be pretty much expected when using the internal mail function)
3. Emails using relay-hosting.secureserver.net were taking over an hour to deilver. I assume this is due to the number of sites using this unlimited free relay through GoDaddy, it's just an smtp backlog (could be wrong)

Thank you for your patience through all that text...and now the good stuff:
[email protected] must be used as the contact, return and username. I tried using different contact and return email information so I could get the replys at a different account but GoDaddy appeared to be blocking them. The SMTP password needs to match the password you setup for the free email account provided by GoDaddy with your site. SMTP port needs to be set to 80. SMTP will not work on port 25 or alternate port 587 make sure your SMTP is on port 80. Email package size had to be set to 0. When set to the default value of 50 messages were being delivered but were taking 30 minutes to an hour to arrive. Someone with more knowledge of phpBB and what this email package size represents might be able to explain why this happens. I'm not sure, I just know at 50 there's a delay and with it set to 0 emails are being delivered immediately...and now the screen shot:
GoDaddy_Email_Setup.png

its 500 relays per day. And if you purchase a VPS then you can get 2500 relays per day through godaddy.
You ride with an outlaw, You die with an outlaw
CrazyIvan007

Post by CrazyIvan007 »

I followed this setup, to no avail. No errors, no emails. Anyone have any tweaks to the OP that has worked?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Post by Pit$Bull »

Good luck with Godaddy mail. :(
You might try this search, may pick up something helpful. http://www.phpbb.com/community/search.p ... &fid[0]=46

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”