unable to login to ACP

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Suggested Hosts
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
cooch17

unable to login to ACP

Post by cooch17 »

Current board is running 3.0.8. Got the email this morning announcing the newest 3.0.9 update. Haven't applied any of the updates yet. But, can't access the ACP. I login fine, but on the redirection step, board hangs. Is it possible that its hanging because of some problem the ACP has checking current version status (the part of the ACP that looks at the current board version number, against the latest -- presumably by polling something at phpbb.com).

Again, the board was working perfectly. Made no changes whatsoever. Logged into the ACP just fine a day or so ago. Even tried deleting cookies, rebooting the system etc. etc. No dice. Can't get redirected to the ACP.

Suggestions?
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: unable to login to ACP

Post by Pit$Bull »

Please fill out the Support Request Template Generator and post it back here to enable us to assist you better.
pennino

Post by pennino »

I also had this problem: I tried to edit the \includes\acp\acp_main.php file.
I have temporarly removed the lines from " // Version check " to $latest_version_info = false; to solve the problem.
the8re

Post by the8re »

pennino wrote:I also had this problem: I tried to edit the \includes\acp\acp_main.php file.
I have temporarly removed the lines from " // Version check " to $latest_version_info = false; to solve the problem.
I can confirm this workaround. Of course this breaks/disable version checking.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
whocarez

Post by whocarez »

I can confirm the workaround too.
I had the same problem with two of my boards (3.08). it appeared today and maybe it is affiliated with the "minor issues" mentioned here:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p13023080
CrazySat

Post by CrazySat »

the8re wrote:
pennino wrote:I also had this problem: I tried to edit the \includes\acp\acp_main.php file.
I can confirm this workaround. Of course this breaks/disable version checking.
Hi
not working here even if I desabled those few lines . I had updated from 3.0.8 to 3.0.9 over two forums and same problems.
Any idea please ?
Thanks.
Regards

CrazySat
PER ASPERA AD ASTRA
AbyssUnderground

Post by AbyssUnderground »

This is being caused by phpBB's version checking. They neglected to think that at some time their version server might be down (which today it is, see http://version.phpbb.com/)! Because of this all ACP's are hanging on the version check. You can get into the ACP via other methods like administrate user from the profile, but any page with the version check on it will fail.

Developers, please use CURL instead. You can set a timeout of 5 or 10 seconds to the versioning server. If it times out, you can still let people use their ACP!

Thanks all.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

AbyssUnderground wrote:This is being caused by phpBB's version checking. They neglected to think that at some time their version server might be down (which today it is, see http://version.phpbb.com/)! Because of this all ACP's are hanging on the version check. You can get into the ACP via other methods like administrate user from the profile, but any page with the version check on it will fail.

Developers, please use CURL instead. You can set a timeout of 5 or 10 seconds to the versioning server. If it times out, you can still let people use their ACP!

Thanks all.
So post it in the bug tracker if you think it needs to be addressed.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
AbyssUnderground

Post by AbyssUnderground »

I would, except the bug tracker isn't working at the moment presumably for the same reason as the ACP issue.
Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable
Guru Meditation:

XID: 938942708
Varnish cache server
Once this is fixed I'll definitely post the suggestion.
JasonWade

Post by JasonWade »

CrazySat wrote:Hi
not working here even if I desabled those few lines . I had updated from 3.0.8 to 3.0.9 over two forums and same problems.
Any idea please ?
Thanks.
Doesn't work for me either :( (haven't updated yet though)
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Give it a few hours Jason, everything will work out. Its not dependant your forum version. ;)
Preema

Post by Preema »

I have the same problem too
Tajgeer
Name: Mateusz

Post by Tajgeer »

You can temporary "disable" version check by editing includes/functions_admin.php file.

Find obtain_latest_version_info function and comment following lines in it:

Code: Select all

$info = get_remote_file('version.phpbb.com', '/phpbb',
		((defined('PHPBB_QA')) ? '30x_qa.txt' : '30x.txt'), $errstr, $errno);
After that you will be able to access ACP.
My modifications: [RC] PL Communicators MOD | [RC] Full Style Refresh | [RC] Post Hide Mod
CrazySat

Post by CrazySat »

Boardtalk.net wrote:Give it a few hours Jason, everything will work out. Its not dependant your forum version. ;)
That's what I am thinking too.
I will wait and the problem with desappear as soon as remote server for updates will be running again.
Thanks again.
Regards

CrazySat
PER ASPERA AD ASTRA
lanesharon

Post by lanesharon »

Same problem here. Thanks to those who found a workaround, but actually I was trying to update my board to the new version. Also received the email today, but since I get a LOT of bogus emails telling me to update, I always go to Admin to check. :mrgreen:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”