Login problem

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
soddy

Login problem

Post by soddy »

i m having login problem in phpBB3....the forum logs in the user after entering username,password but as soon as the forum is redirected to index page, user is automatically logged out. I finally logged in (by clicking staying logged in)...but now i cannot log out...on clicking Logout it displays,
You were not logged out, as the request did not match your session. Please contact the board administrator if you continue to experience problems.
can anybody help me sort out the problem?
Tullamore

Re: Login problem

Post by Tullamore »

I think this is similar to the problem I am having on my forum. In Internet Explorer the security settings will log you back out once logged in. If you turn the security setting to low/off then the problem should go away. You can also solve it by using Firefox or another browser.

I think it is due to unencrypted forms??
Running a custom phpBB 2.1 powered knowledge base with over 100 forums/catagories.
chrisack

Post by chrisack »

Interesting, I have just had this reported by a user on my site too. He's using Vista and IE - has his security settings at Medium and the domain as a trusted site.
Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

Hi!

I have the exact same problem on my newly setup phpbb3 board (Converted from phpbb2). Running Vista with UAC on and IE7. Directly after entering the login details for the forum and clicked "login" button I' back to the index page and need to login again.

Lowering the security setting in IE7 does not help, cleaning temporary cache and cookies does not help. It works ok in Firefox at least.

Is this a known issue and being worked on?
soddy

Post by soddy »

even here we updated from phpbb2 to phpbb3....it worked fine for a few months and now we are experiencing this problem. It is hosted on suse 10.1. This problem is experienced by all users on both IE and Firefox. Is it a bug in phpBB3?
Virtual Llama

Post by Virtual Llama »

I've started having the same problems with my forum too, also recently upgraded from phpBB2 to phpBB3.

I usually use Firefox and this is where I first spotted the problem, IE7 is doing the same thing too. No amount of clearing of cookies seems to be making any difference. Any user who logs in can perhaps click on a forum or subject before being kicked out. I managed to get as far as posting a new message but every time I submit I get asked for username and password again.

Even disabling things like session IP validation has made no difference. Any help would be appreciated as my board is currently unusable.

Here's the vital information:
Your board's URL: http://www.eplicehockey.net
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.0
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Upgrade from 2.0.22
Was this an install through your host? Installed on my own server
MODs you have installed: Ajax Shoutbox
When the problem started: In the last few hours
soddy

@above

Post by soddy »

seems like the problem is solved in ur board...can u explain how u fixed it?
Virtual Llama

Post by Virtual Llama »

Sorry for not posting this sooner... afer several hours of frustrated googling all I wanted was a good night's sleep.

The answer to my problem was in the cookies. When I migrated from phpBB2 to phpBB3 my cookie domain was set to "www.eplicehockey.net". It worked until just before the weekend, quite why I do not know, but the cookies being collected by my browser were under "eplicehockey.net". I'd read that you must have at least 2 dots in the cookie domain so I changed mine to ".eplicehockey.net" (note the leading dot) and all was well again.

I'd love to know why it was working and then suddenly wasn't and I'm hoping this hasn't damaged my site's credibility - it hasn't been up for long and already had one major outage and I could see from the "who's online" screen that people were logging in, trying to post and then getting told to log-in again without their postings being accepted. Another factor to this was that the problem didn't seem to effect the ACP (assuming you could get that far!).

Alex.
soddy

@above

Post by soddy »

i cant even reach the ACP...how cld u manage to do that...even when i login as admin, the browser logs me out as soon as the page changes and to reach ACP i need to reauthenticate myself
chrisack

Post by chrisack »

Glad it has been solved for you, but my cookie domain (as set in the ACP) has two dots and I still have a user with the problem - when using IE (it's OK when he uses Firefox).
furious23

Post by furious23 »

I had the same problem as described, and also tried to change my cookie-domain, but this hasn't solved my problem.

But when i shutoff "Check Browser-Type for better security", then it works!

My Forum: http://www.eCarPC.de/phpBB3
dodo5000

Post by dodo5000 »

i have the same problem when i update my board from RC5 to 3.0.0 Final
any ideas ?
dodo5000

Post by dodo5000 »

furious23 wrote:But when i shutoff "Check Browser-Type for better security", then it works!
:D me too
thank you for the solution :ugeek:
AlbertSz

Post by AlbertSz »

same problem, considering moving to IPB if this is not solved till tomorow. My site is unusable.
furious23

Post by furious23 »

Well... before i switched "Check Browser for beter security", Firefox worked and IE7 doesn't - but now: Firefox doesn't and IE7 does...?!?!?! :twisted:

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”