Problems with users logging in - really need help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Get Involved
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Blink

Problems with users logging in - really need help

Post by Blink »

Your board's URL: http://www.interlopers.net/forum
Version of phpBB3: 3.0.0
Was this a fresh install or a(n) update/upgrade/conversion (please be specific)? Conversion from phpbb 2.0.22
Was this an install through your host? Nope, I did it all
MODs you have installed: None
When the problem started: As soon as we transferred to phpbb3

Cookie settings:
Cookie Domain: .interlopers.net
Cookie name: phpbb3_2c5
Cookie Path: /

Template(s) used: Modified version of prosilver
Language(s) used: English
Version of PHP used: 5.25
Database and version used: MySQL 5.0.45-community
Hi,

I'm having a most confusing issue with users logging into my board and I have tried everything and searched everywhere.

Basically, almost all (but not all) users are reporting issues logging in. They add their username and password, it confirms it has logged in (shows information such as PM's at the top) and then resets to the forum index as a guest.

This has happened to me many times yet I have managed to get logged in with Firefox, IE but not Opera. I've deleted every cookie, cleared cache (browser and forum) on all three browsers and despite having some problems with all three I can get IE and FF logged in.

I have advised this same course of action to my users but only a very small percentage can actually log in (most are using FF, some using IE7) so something must be working for those people.

I converted a copy of the database locally before I did it on live and that works perfectly, only differences are it's set to localhost obviously.

With regard to the cookie settings I have tried numerous combinations. I have tried interlopers.net without the preceding dot, I have tried / & /forum and no difference. I have also tried a different cookie name.

The only thing that it could possibly be is that I originally installed the board on SQL and then transferred the forum to a new server running SQL 5 (and php 5, was on 4). I didn't re-install it, literally copied the site, everything.

I literally have no idea what to do and it's a really problem.

Please, any ideas?
Blink

Re: Problems with users logging in - really need help

Post by Blink »

Thanks for the link.

I've already looked at that thread and I did try emptying sessions tables but that didn't work. I noticed that two users mentioned skipping the tables during conversion. Now that I already have my database up and running (the pre-conversion one is out of date) is there anyway to make some fixes whilst it's working?

If it is DB related it might explain why some people are logging in and some aren't? It would be great to get to the bottom of what is causing this.

Some insight from one of the support or dev team would be really helpful as I'm not the only one with this problem it seems.

Update: I tried dropping the SQL tables for sessions and sessions_keys and rebuilding them with the SQL from the 3.0.0 install files, just in case there was some differences when it was moved over from phpbb2. It was a long shot but still no luck.

Thanks

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”