[Discuss] Abandoned MODs Forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Name: David Colón

[Discuss] Abandoned MODs Forum

Post by DavidIQ »

Please use this topic to discuss the Abandoned MODs Forum announcement.
Apply to become a Jr. Extension Validator
My extensions | In need of phpBB services? | Was I helpful today?
No unsolicited PMs unless you're planning on asking for paid help.
nextgen
Name: Melvin García

Re: [Discuss] Abandoned MODs Forum

Post by nextgen »

I like this change, it would be great if the change would also apply to the style in development forum. :)
メルビン・ガルシア • nextgen Solutions

Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
leviatan21
Name: Gabriel

Post by leviatan21 »

nextgen wrote:it would be great if the change would also apply to the style in development forum.
++
and at Titania too ;)
Excuse me for my poor English, I speak Spanish. | Image phpBB en Español
FB92

Post by FB92 »

Good idea. Much easier to go through the MODs forum now. Though I do see some ABD topics still in the MODs in Development forum.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

FB92 wrote:Good idea. Much easier to go through the MODs forum now. Though I do see some ABD topics still in the MODs in Development forum.
If you do find those please use the "Report Post" feature and we'll take care of them if necessary. Thanks.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

leviatan21 wrote:
nextgen wrote:it would be great if the change would also apply to the style in development forum.
++
and at Titania too ;)
Approved MODs are never marked as ABD, and so this will not be applied to Titania.
Ger

Post by Ger »

Paul wrote:Approved MODs are never marked as ABD, and so this will not be applied to Titania.
Why not? Actually, I think that an MOD author should have to possibility to mark approved MODs in Titania as ABD. It can easily happen that a MOD approved for 3.0.9 will be broken for 3.0.10. This will become more and more the case with older MODs; a MOD approved for 3.0.0 is 10 versions behind. When a MOD author doesn't look after approval, the support tab of that MOD will be flooded with questions like Will this work for 3.0.x?. Answers of several users who tried it on a newer version will vary due to faulty installs or conflicts with other much.

Therefore, I think an approved MOD should have the option to be marked as ABD. This will provide better info for end users and other MOD authors will have the opportunity to pick it up and develop it for newer releases of phpBB.
My extensions:
Simple CMS, Feed post bot, Avatar Resize, Modbreak, Magic OGP, Live topic update, Modern Quote, Quoted Where (GDPR) and Autoresponder.
Newest: FAQ manager for 3.2

Like my work? Buy me a coffee to keep it coming. :ugeek:

-Don't PM me for support-
Peter77sx

Post by Peter77sx »

I usually never go past page 3 of the BETA forums, but kudos for the idea.
DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

Ger wrote:Therefore, I think an approved MOD should have the option to be marked as ABD. This will provide better info for end users and other MOD authors will have the opportunity to pick it up and develop it for newer releases of phpBB.
An approved MOD is marked for which version it is good for. If a user goes ahead and still applies the MOD to their board even though it is not for their version and they didn't bother asking that is clearly the user's bad choice. This is the reason we test all MODs before approval. If a MOD author no longer wants to support their MOD they are free to do so with no serious repercussions. They can simply change the description of the MOD, add an FAQ entry to that effect, or create an announcement post in the MOD's support area.

The only reason this is being even brought up is because there was desire from someone to abandon a group of MODs and not provide any further support, not because the MODs are incompatible with the current version of phpBB.
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Good idea ;)
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Ger wrote:... When a MOD author doesn't look after approval, the support tab of that MOD will be flooded with questions like Will this work for 3.0.x?. Answers of several users who tried it on a newer version will vary due to faulty installs or conflicts with other much. ...
Hello Ger,
I have a validated MOD which has been validated for phpBB 3.0.3. The MOD still is compatible with phpBB 3.0.10. And it's not using UMIL. The only thing which could been updated is the MODX version entry in the header of the install.xml. So there is not really a need to update the MOD.
But MOD authors can post a FAQ about MOD compatibility. So MOD users just could have a look there to get the information they are looking for.
Bye Martin
Last edited by Martin Truckenbrodt on Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

I like the new rule... Good idea ;)
MichaelC
Consultant
Consultant
Name: Michael Cullum

Post by MichaelC »

Martin Truckenbrodt wrote:
Ger wrote:... When a MOD author doesn't look after approval, the support tab of that MOD will be flooded with questions like Will this work for 3.0.x?. Answers of several users who tried it on a newer version will vary due to faulty installs or conflicts with other much. ...
Hello Ger,
I have a validated MOD which has been validated for phpBB 3.0.3. The MOD still is compatible with phpBB 3.0.10. And it's not using UMIL. The only thing which could been updated is the MODX version entry in the header of the install.xml. So there is not really a need to update the MOD.
But MOD authors can post a FAQ about MOD compatibility. So MOD users just could have a look there to get the information they are looking for.
Bye Martin
Just a note, I'm not sure if you are aware but there was a change in the MOD Database Policy a while back (the reason mentioned being one of the reasons it was changed) which was discussed in this topic and that was updating MODs just either for a MODX and phpBB Version or just a phpBB Version. The change was made so can now you can submit an update for your MOD just to update a phpBB Version so that you don't get people asking about compatibility.

It also prevents your MOD being cleaned. The idea of cleaning was added in Titania to allow Contribution cleanups (It could be compared to what happened here but without the publishing of lists on who wants to pick them up). I don't know the criteria or if the MOD Team have plans to clean some more MODs but I doubt this would happen before 3.1. For example all phpBB 2 MODs have simply been cleaned as have a few for the RCs of phpBB3 (I think). I also believe the styles team were planning on doing this at some point for styles older than 3.0.8 (See here).

Regarding the forum: I think its a good idea and it helps keeps the main forum more organised. :)
:)
Formerly known as Unknown Bliss.
Formerly Website Team Lead/Manager & Development Team.
Please don't PM me for support (or stuff that belongs in the forums or tracker) but otherwise feel free
Elias
Name: Elias

Post by Elias »

Great idea! 8-)
"Mystery creates wonder, and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand." - Neil Armstrong
|Installing Extensions|Writing Extensions|Extension Validation Policy|
Martin Truckenbrodt
Name: Martin Truckenbrodt

Post by Martin Truckenbrodt »

Hello Michael,
thanks for the information!
Still some time I'm wondering why old MODX files which have to been included in the header of the files are not more available anymore. I think you've told the reason.

BTW: Two of my former six validated phpBB3 MODs have been cleaned up for my own wishes cause the features have been included (similar to my MOD) into later Olympus versions.

Bye Martin
Free tutorial: Installing MODs in phpBB 3.0
Advanced Block MOD - Prevent spam on your phpBB 3.0 board with Stop Forum Spam, BotScout, Akismet, Project Honey Pot and several IP-RBL and Domain-RBL DNS blacklists!
My MODs
Use the official phpBB Ideas to vote missing core features!!!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”