[DEV] Page Permissions 3.x

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Get Involved
drathbun
Former Team Member

[DEV] Page Permissions 3.x

Post by drathbun »

I have received a number of requests to upgrade my Page Permissions MOD to version 3. I'm only now starting to review some of the 3.x code, and I haven't been keeping up with stuff in the 3.x MODding community. So before I get too far, I thought I would start this topic and see if (a) there is interest, and (b) see if anyone else is already working on something similar. If there is no interest, or if someone else is already doing it, then I will probably delay the actual work until next year.

A full description of the features and screen shots can be found in the topic linked above. Of course the admin screens would be different for 3.x but the features should be the same.

Feedback welcomed, thanks.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Re: [DEV] Page Permissions 3.x

Post by bonelifer »

The closest thing i could find is Lord Le Brand's "ACL Locations" -->> http://phpbbmodders.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2877 But that is obviously meant more for modders to use to add permissions to their mods. I personally think making a phpBB3 version of your mod would be great.
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

im a little confused. are we talking about adding permissions for custom pages? like, i construct an "about_us.php" page (with the corresponding HTML page), using $auth->acl? then access is based on permissions granted/denied? i read the FAQ for the 2.0.x version, but just not quite sure i understand the full capabilities of this MOD.
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

The basic idea behind this MOD for phpBB2 was to allow board owners to set permissions on a page level. A board owner could set permissions on a forum, but that was it. So many board owners wanted to make the memberlist private (reg only) and they would MOD the memberlist.php file. Others wanted to do the same for viewing profiles, which required another edit. Others wanted to only allow Moderators to see the "whos online" list, which is another edit. This MOD gave board owners the ability to set access level permissions (guest, registered, private, moderator, or admin) by page name.

It also allowed board owners to disable specific pages while leaving the rest of the board up and running.

It also provided a page counter for each page, and incremented a guest counter or reg counter based on whether the user was logged in.

On phpBB2 it became essential for me... I never set up a board without it. phpBB3 offers some of the features (like protecting member lists and profiles) but not everything.
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

drathbun wrote:... but not everything
can you expand on that? like what other pages would you want to protect? again, what about custom pages? :D

it sounds like an interesting MOD, but phpbb3's permission system (and the features that already protect the aforementioned pages) already does some of what your MOD was designed to do for phpbb2. i like the idea of disabled pages. i probably wouldnt use the page counters, but i can see how others would use this. (sorry, i know im being a real pain)
bonelifer
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: William

Post by bonelifer »

A_O_C even the almighty creator of phpBB-Dave needs to be kept on his feet. ;)
William Jacoby - Community Team
Knowledge Base | phpBB Board Rules | Search Customisation Database
Please don't contact me via PM or email for phpBB support .
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

A_O_C I can't expand too much because at this time I'm not completely familiar with the admin side of phpBB3. :) I can't comment on what I don't know, and I will freely admit that my exposure to phpBB3 is lacking. This is an excuse to dig in and learn as much as anything else.

Plus, as I said, folks that have used phpBB2 have requested that I update it for phpBB3, so I assume there is some need for it.

One of the other things that this MOD did that I don't think is in phpBB3 is the ability to set a min / max post count in addition to the auth level. So a board owner could say that not only do you have to be registered to view the member list, you also have to have at least 30 posts.
found it

Post by found it »

well I am definately after this mod for phpbb3 ... best mod out of all of them and I dont care what anyone says...

I cannot move to phpbb3 unless I use this mod as its the main part of my site...

thanks for starting it and I hope you continue with it...

:mrgreen:
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

understood. well, im interested. :D
xxxopenxxx

Post by xxxopenxxx »

I would love this mod!
stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy »

Great to hear this Dave, glad to see you're jumping into v3. If you need a hand with anything, give me a nudge (pm, IRC). 3 is actually quite good to code for. Most stuff is taken care of for you :)
ps. I'm quite interested in this MOD myself. Would work well on one of my forums :mrgreen:
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red
danopia
Name: Daniel Lamando

Post by danopia »

I'm not the only one who hasn't brushed up on phpBB3's admin side. I've even redone my calendar script to make it even more simple so I don't have add a "User can add events" permission.

[/offtopic]

I would like something like that, because I am setting up a site that should pretty much be locked down until you register and get added to a certain group. This includes memberlist, my calendar, who's online, etc.
Hackers are not criminals. Hackers are the only people out there to keep crackers and virus coders on the run. Hackers are misconstrued by the media, but in reality, they do not cause damage or steal. Hackers tell system administrators of the faults of their software, and keep the Internet safe from those who don't.

phpBB3 MODs: Simple Topic Calendar

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”