[ABD] Basic Forum Icon Legend

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Spider M. Mann

[ABD] Basic Forum Icon Legend

Post by Spider M. Mann »

MOD Title: Basic Forum Icon Legend
MOD Description: This MOD will add a pre-made icon legend to the bottom of the page - forum icons on the index page, and post icons on all forum pages.
MOD Version: 1.0.0

Requirements: ProSilver based styles only, as SubSilver2 includes a legend by default.

Author Notes: A simple little MOD for all the users of ProSilver who miss the SubSilver2 Icon Legend. Fully XHTML 1.0 Strict, and a super easy install. Works with any ProSilver based style. If your members keep asking you what the forum and post icons are, this may be useful to you.

** This MOD has been abandoned **
Last edited by Spider M. Mann on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
shahinavthal

Re: [BETA] Basic Forum Icon Legend

Post by shahinavthal »

Works well.. Thanks

Just need to edit the instructions to <!-- INCLUDE overall_footer.html --> and not <!-- INCLUDE index_footer.html --> i think :)
Spider M. Mann

Re: [BETA] Basic Forum Icon Legend

Post by Spider M. Mann »

Oops, you're absolutely right! I was struck by late-night typing syndrome.

All fixed. I'm glad you find it useful, and thanks for the heads up.
Highway311

Re: [RC] Basic Forum Icon Legend

Post by Highway311 »

Wonderful Mod Thanks!
Sorry for my bad English.

Live every day so as if it were your last day with the dear female students in this lovely world
MattF
Extensions Development Coordinator
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Nice! I wondered what ever happened to the legend!

Was this never accepted into the ModDB??
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
ijhtio

Post by ijhtio »

thanks for digging this up Highway311....this shud be in mod db as VSE said... :)
regards,
ijhtio
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

VSE wrote:Was this never accepted into the ModDB??
Nope. There was some discussions behind closed doors by the Mod Team, but in the end it was, well, not rejected, but not promoted either. I think the phrase was "...your MOD doesn't qualify as being a MOD, and as such not can be accepted as MOD."

I have a hunch it was because it is too minor of a change to qualify as a Mod. It's more of a hack. Which I completely understand. Gotta have standards and stick to 'em when you are supporting a community of this size.

Doesn't mean that we can't use it. I hope you all enjoy it!
ijhtio

Post by ijhtio »

ok that's understandable. but then they shud include this or their own way to show legend at the bottom of the page. i am an intermediate user when it comes to using phppBB, vBulletin, IPB pro etc. but those who are new gets confused when they see different icons for threads.
thanks for this Spider M. Mann :)
regards,
ijhtio
Highway311

Post by Highway311 »

I am wondered that there is no standard for phpbb!
Sorry for my bad English.

Live every day so as if it were your last day with the dear female students in this lovely world
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

Spider M. Mann wrote:I have a hunch it was because it is too minor of a change to qualify as a Mod. It's more of a hack.
Maybe suggest it goes in the KB?
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

Done, written, and submitted. It either was overlooked or they just want to have nothing to do with an icon legend. It was removed for a reason in the first place, after all.

I don't really care either way. It was easy enough to figure out, and this mod is here for reference anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
MattF
Name: Matt Friedman

Post by MattF »

Aren't all mods for phpBB really hacks anyway?

It's silly that they would not include because they thought it was too simple... Because that means it stays in the development forum, which says in bold letter - DO NOT INSTALL THESE ON A LIVE FORUM... Clearly this mod can be installed on a live forum...

A question to the mod author... Was there a reason why you chose to make the legend an <--include--> rather than just write the code directly into the viewforum and index pages? Just curious.
Formerly known as VSEMy ExtensionsPlease do not PM me for support.
spaceace

Post by spaceace »

i think this should be default as well due to the confusion for new members to a phpbb board.

i would use it myself but when i created my style, i included the legend in it months ago :lol:
A_O_C

Post by A_O_C »

VSE wrote:A question to the mod author... Was there a reason why you chose to make the legend an <--include--> rather than just write the code directly into the viewforum and index pages? Just curious.
My guess would be to minimize core code edits. ;)
Spider M. Mann

Post by Spider M. Mann »

That certainly was a deciding factor. Plus there would have been no files for the download if written directly into the template pages, it would've just been a "how-to" article in download form, as there are no other files to add.

One could always copy and paste the code into the core template files, if so desired. That would cut down on include calls, increasing performance by a fraction of a millisecond -- if one cared about such things. :P

That's the way I had it before I decided to share the Mod with the community.

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”