[ABD] Community Moderation

Any abandoned MODs will be moved to this forum.

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported or maintained by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

WARNING: MODs in this forum are not currently being supported nor updated by the original MOD author. Proceed at your own risk.
Mav
Former Team Member

[ABD] Community Moderation

Post by Mav »

Modification Name: Community Moderation
Author: Mav

Modification Description: This mod adds "upvote" and "downvote" buttons (and the posts' score) to every post. Each user has one vote they can cast on each post, adjusting the score up or down by one point. If a post reaches the "bury" threshold, it is hidden; using the same css styling used to hide posts by "foes". A new permission is added to allow users/groups to vote on posts. By implementing this voting system, forum communities can gain some control over board content without admin or moderator help.

Modification Version: 0.0.3

Works with: phpbb 3.0.7-pl1
Language: English

License: GNU General Public License v2

MOD Format:

Mod Download: https://code.google.com/p/phpbb3-packete ... loads/list

Features:
  • Option to completely disable the MOD at any time (ACP > .MODS > Community Moderation > Configuration)
  • Set the default threshold for burying posts (ACP > .MODS > Community Moderation > Configuration)
  • Permissions to upvote/downvote are forum based (in the 'Post' tab) - assign the permission to vote per group/user, per forum
  • Permissions to allow users to set their own bury threshold, and the types of buried posts to hide, are user/group based (in the 'Misc' tab)
  • The installer file adds voting permissions to several of the standard forum roles (Standard Access, Standard Access + Polls, and Full Access. If you are using these, then you don't need to configure anything)
  • There's nothing to stop you allowing guests to vote, but it won't work very well, as I haven't implemented any sort of cookie tracking for guest votes. The guest 'account' will get 1 vote per post like any other user. (I'm not really interested in developing this aspect, so if you need it, you are free to code it)
  • Users can set their own threshold for post burying (UCP > Board preferences > Edit display options)
Username: tester
Password: testme
you may need to create your own account, or post some replies/topics before you can try the MOD, since a user can only vote once on each post.

I've added another test account; that does NOT have permissions to alter the bury threshold or the types of post to buy. These permissions were added in 0.0.3
Username: testbot
Password: 123456
Last edited by Mav on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Re: [BETA] Community Moderation

Post by callumacrae »

Similar to what youtube does with comments?

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

Callum95 wrote:Similar to what youtube does with comments?
Yeah, I think so, never really look at the comments on youtube.

It's the sort of thing you see on a lot of sites like digg, reddit, and lot of blog sites that allow comments.

another note:
Upvoting doesn't do a lot more than cancel out downvoting, but you could use it to build a new page that lists the highest voted posts or something.
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

updated the download to 0.0.2
- was checking my demo site and found that it thought I'd voted on every post already. Made a minor change to includes/functions_community_moderation.php
katib

Post by katib »

Thanks for Mod
Phpbb is a tool for " building a cpmmunity"
Your Mod gives this community a tool to moderate itself, by gaining some control over board content :)
Awsome !!
DennisVV

Post by DennisVV »

Thanks for yor mod, but may be you can to make next:
negative points - red colour, and positive - green?
thanks...
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

DennisVV wrote:Thanks for yor mod, but may be you can to make next:
negative points - red colour, and positive - green?
You can see the number of upvotes and downvotes if you hover over the score. This uses a simple 'title' attribute, afaik this doesn't support anything more than simple text. I'm not convinced of the value in using a fancier method just to colour the text green/red.
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Great idea.
I have a little feedback and some feature requests. ;)

But I don't particularly like the way it is displayed currently, but that should be "easy" to customize myself. Ill let you know if I come up with something fancy.

Would you consider making a summery under the users avatars. So its possible to see how many times a user has been up/down voted?

If you could add Ultimate Points support, that would open a whole heap of possibilities.
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

Mess wrote:Great idea.
I have a little feedback and some feature requests. ;)
all feedback is very much appreciated =)
Mess wrote:But I don't particularly like the way it is displayed currently, but that should be "easy" to customize myself. Ill let you know if I come up with something fancy.
what don't you like about it? I know it's not fancy, but I've tried to blend it in with the default prosilver/subsilver2 buttons
Mess wrote:Would you consider making a summery under the users avatars. So its possible to see how many times a user has been up/down voted?
hmm. Possible, but it's not really the user who's been upvoted/downvoted, it's the post.
Mess wrote:If you could add Ultimate Points support, that would open a whole heap of possibilities.
how do you see that working? does a user get points when their post is upvoted? lose points if a post is downvoted? I'm slightly wary of doing this, as it introduces a reason for people to want to scam the system.
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

I've tampered with the db on my demo site, so that one of the posts shows the effect of being downvoted below the threshold.
http://www.packetecho.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1
katib

Post by katib »

Hello again
To display a post buried by the communit, user has to clik on Display this post.
But this do refresh the whole page
Is it possible to use a javascript like this code like the one used here Thanks for posts (rating edition):

Code: Select all

<a href="javascript: toggleElement( getElement('show_thanked'));">{L_THANKS_LIST}</a>
			<div id="show_thanked" style="display: none; float: right;">{THANKED}</div>
Last edited by katib on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mess
Name: Kim

Post by Mess »

Mav wrote:
Mess wrote:But I don't particularly like the way it is displayed currently, but that should be "easy" to customize myself. Ill let you know if I come up with something fancy.
what don't you like about it? I know it's not fancy, but I've tried to blend it in with the default prosilver/subsilver2 buttons
I don't feel it fits in where it is right now. But at the same time the up/down buttons are where they should be. My first thought was to move the rating over next to the posted "by [name] [date]" and add "Voted: [rating]", if any votes where cast, and keep the buttons where they are. At the end of the day its probably just down to personal taste, and someone else like it better another way. ;)
Mav wrote:
Mess wrote:Would you consider making a summery under the users avatars. So its possible to see how many times a user has been up/down voted?
hmm. Possible, but it's not really the user who's been upvoted/downvoted, it's the post.
Valid point. Maybe I was trying to to make this work like a reputation system mod, which is probably not what you want.
Mav wrote:
Mess wrote:If you could add Ultimate Points support, that would open a whole heap of possibilities.
how do you see that working? does a user get points when their post is upvoted? lose points if a post is downvoted? I'm slightly wary of doing this, as it introduces a reason for people to want to scam the system.
Yes that was what I was thinking, but I am experimenting with UPS as a contribution system. So if it was possible I would only add contribution (UPS) points for upvotes.
I have a fairly small community of mostly friends. So I would not be overly concerned with scam attempts. And removing negative points should eliminate any doubts.

Good idea adding a hidden post to the test forum, I was just thinking it was missing. ;)
keith10456

Post by keith10456 »

Very good work!

Any thoughts on having an option in the ACP to limit the voting to just the initial post?
Mav
Former Team Member

Post by Mav »

Mess wrote:Valid point. Maybe I was trying to to make this work like a reputation system mod, which is probably not what you want.
Yep. If you're after a reputation mod, then the Karma mod I linked at the top is very good (code-wise at least, I haven't tried it in the wild yet).
Mess wrote:I am experimenting with UPS as a contribution system. So if it was possible I would only add contribution (UPS) points for upvotes.
I have a fairly small community of mostly friends. So I would not be overly concerned with scam attempts. And removing negative points should eliminate any doubts.
Ok, I'll have a look at the UPS mod, and see how easy it is to work with.
keith10456 wrote:Any thoughts on having an option in the ACP to limit the voting to just the initial post?
Not sure I understand why you'd want this. This idea of the mod is that users (if they work together) can bury spam/abusive/off-topic posts. I doubt it'd be a difficult feature to add, but you'd have to convince me of a good reason for wanting it.

I am happy to develop this mod and add more features, but I don't intend to make it do everything for everyone. I don't like mods that try to do too much. I prefer to have many smaller mods that I can pick and choose from to achieve what I want.
callumacrae
Former Team Member
Name: Callum Macrae

Post by callumacrae »

Nice :)

How about having the option in UCP not to hide posts?

~Callum
macr.ae = my website. you probably won't like it.
Proud user ofProud user of

Return to “[3.0.x] Abandoned MODs”