[DEV] Downloads Mod

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment!
Ideas Centre
IHMUN

[DEV] Downloads Mod

Post by IHMUN »

Mod Name: Downloads Mod
Mod Version: N/A
Author: I Hate My User Name [ IHMUN ]

Mod Description: This mod creates a new section for your forums for downloads. Allows external links to downloads, such as rapishare (for those who don't want to use too much bandwidth), ratings, download counters, category hierarchy, etc.

Live Demo: Not up quite yet

For my site, I needed a downloads section. I noticed the non-existent availability of download mods for phpBB3, or independent download scripts, and decided action must be taken. I may not be the best programmer, but I'm really going to try and make this mod go some place. I'll try to work on it on a daily basis and keep you guys posted on the progress (I can't stand not knowing how something is coming along). I might need a bit of assistance with the ACP page I'm planning on making for it, but I'll ask for help when that point comes along.

Progress Log moved to my fresh new Windows Live Space
Last edited by IHMUN on Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
.:: Chico ::.

Re: [DEV] Downloads Mod

Post by .:: Chico ::. »

thanks for your time to be creating this mod, is something i need and like (specially for rapidshare links).

do you have any photos?
madd74

Post by madd74 »

Ratings, DL counter, and off-site linking, wonderful! I will keep an eye on this mod. I do hope that off site linking would be transparent to the viewer. Also hope for group/user permission support!

I really liked your idea, something very useful, but if you, after this, want to make something more useful than your mod, take a look on this:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=582827

thanks pal!
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

.:: Chico ::. wrote:thanks for your time to be creating this mod, is something i need and like (specially for rapidshare links).

do you have any photos?
No photos yet, but I am glad you like my idea :) Maybe Ill take a screenshot of the template file Ill create this afternoon.
madd74 wrote:Ratings, DL counter, and off-site linking, wonderful! I will keep an eye on this mod. I do hope that off site linking would be transparent to the viewer. Also hope for group/user permission support!
By transparent, you mean the URL being covered with variables...or...?
.:: Chico ::. wrote:I really liked your idea, something very useful, but if you, after this, want to make something more useful than your mod, take a look on this:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 2&t=582827

thanks pal!
I like that idea. Maybe in a later version, there could be download-type specific templates. That would make it fairly interesting :D
golgoth

Post by golgoth »

May i suggest you to add some optional fields when adding a new file, such as "screenshots" or "demo URL"?
It would be great if you can upload high res screenshots while the mod provides an automatical resize of the images.

Also, will it be possible to insert files already uploaded onto the ftp?

Thanks and good work :)

golgoth wrote:May i suggest you to add some optional fields when adding a new file, such as "screenshots" or "demo URL"?
It would be great if you can upload high res screenshots while the mod provides an automatical resize of the images.
Answer:
I hate my own name wrote:No photos yet, but I am glad you like my idea :) Maybe Ill take a screenshot of the template file Ill create this afternoon.
golgoth wrote:Also, will it be possible to insert files already uploaded onto the ftp?

Thanks and good work :)
if there is a field to put webhosting links, to put fto uploaded file, just place the url like "yourdomain.com/image.jpg"

same thing...
Last edited by .:: Chico ::. on Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
golgoth

Post by golgoth »

.:: Chico ::. wrote:
golgoth wrote:May i suggest you to add some optional fields when adding a new file, such as "screenshots" or "demo URL"?
Answer:
I hate my own name wrote:No photos yet, but I am glad you like my idea :) Maybe Ill take a screenshot of the template file Ill create this afternoon.
This is not the answer to what I asked... i wasn't talking about screenshots or demo URL OF this mod, instead i was talking about files uploaded WITH this mod.
madd74

Post by madd74 »

IHMUN wrote:
madd74 wrote:Ratings, DL counter, and off-site linking, wonderful! I will keep an eye on this mod. I do hope that off site linking would be transparent to the viewer. Also hope for group/user permission support!
By transparent, you mean the URL being covered with variables...or...?
Hmm... how to get what I mean out in English :mrgreen: Well, I was thinking more on the lines that:

FILE1
URLOUT

Without seeing what a post would look like, it is difficult to express, however, I mean that a post for FILE1 will look exactly like a post to URLOUT, where URLOUT is to some other location. So, before the user goes to DL it. Now, to THAT note, it would also be nice for an optional "thing" that can be used that would show the file is from another site, like the little shortcut icon to show you that you are clicking a shortcut as opposed to an EXE file, for example. nothing fancy, mind you, like a *, a mini pict, or the like. Once you get a screenshot up, then I will comment further on it. Thank you for your reply! Very looking forward to this mod.
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

First loop finished :) Now I have my category names being shown on downloads.php.

Not bad for a newbie lol. Any advice on the $_GET variables? I'll use rough coding for now, but I'll need to conform to phpBB's standards, I'm sure.

Bit of a cheesy teaser :P

Have I ever said I hated the prosilver template? lol, I don't like the weird methods of styling used in it, like the dd, dt, dl, etc tags.
cruddpuppet

Post by cruddpuppet »

I'll try my best to help, if needed. Just ask.
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

I have the categories working alright. Just have to figure out how I'm going to do the SQL query for the parent name and link. Tomorrow, I'll also get the download view done. Maybe even a 0.0.1? lol

Hello IHMUN,

help me to understand your mod a little bit better.
1 - As the image show us, there is the "categorys", is this category the forum's categorys???
2 - So, how will work when i want put some rapidshare link, will it be when i open a new topic or only in "downloads section" (button in overall_header)??

Thanks, hope you don't give up to make this like other modders (missing or something) :cry:
IHMUN

Post by IHMUN »

The downloads mod will work on an entirely different script (downloads.php). It will not work with viewforum, etc. I'm keeping the similar template to make it easy to navigate. As you can see I haven't got all of the template variables going yet.

As for the second question, When you click the NewDownload button, it brings you something similar to when you post a topic. It gives you an input for the download link, Author, etc.

Hope that helps you understand things better. :D
golgoth

Post by golgoth »

Any chance to see a working demo soon :) ?

Return to “[3.0.x] MODs in Development”