MODX 1.0.1 Released

Discussion forum for MOD Writers regarding MOD Development.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

MODX 1.0.1 Released

Post by smithy_dll »

Dear MOD Authors,

To combat incompatibilies between MODX and the phpBB architecture, we are pleased to announce the first revision of MODX, version 1.0.1.

MODX 1.0 will continue to be supported, and all tools that support MODX 1.0.1 will also support MODX 1.0.

Changes Since MODX 1.0
  • Added stage parameter to version numbers to handle Beta, Alpha, and Release Candidate version numbers.
  • Revised the packaging requirements to address an issue with translations.
Compatible Tools
mEAL 1.15 is compatible with MODX 1.0.1.
All the stylesheets have been re-released as compatible for MODX 1.0.1 and can be downloaded from the MODX resource centre.
MOD Studio Beta 4 (0.4) is compatible with MODX 1.0.1

Documentation
MODX documentation has been moved to its new home in the MODs Documentation section.

For Translators
This release doesn't result in any extra language strings; however, we fixed another bug that does.
ilh=Hard
has been changed to
ila=Advanced
It would be greatly appreciated if all translators could please add the advanced language string to their translations of the prosilver MODX and e-mail the updates to the phpBB MOD Team. You should leave the ilh entry for MODs that use the old stylesheet.

Thanks,
The phpBB MOD Team
Systems Engineering
poyntesm

Re: MODX 1.0.1 Released

Post by poyntesm »

Smithy_dll,

According to http://www.phpbb.com/mods/documentation ... /index.php for a MOD using prosilver and english (and english images) we would now by default only have

Code: Select all

./MOD.xml
./templates/prosilver/en.xml 
As the root XML now ....
The MODX file must only edit the default template of the target application, and the language it is natively distributed in.
If we wanted to add 'nl' support we would end as follows?

./MOD.xml
./languages/nl.xml
./templates/prosilver/nl.xml
However now the MOD.xml would have edits referring to english which user may not have? Will this not cause EM or automated tools hassle? What if they do not have prosilver either anymore?

As annoying is it might be from a usability point of view to me the answer is...

./MOD.xml
./languages/en.xml
./templates/prosilver.xml
With the root not being allowed to edit anything other than what we know 100% the user will have which is the core files. Since phpBB allows you to run without english or prosilver this is the only 100%.
EDIT: Actually I wonder is it now ....

./MOD.xml - handling core, prosilver(including en imageset) & english
Then to add 'nl'....

./MOD.xml
./languages/nl.xml
./templates/prosilver/nl.xml
However that still leaves the issue of root MODX containing instructions that might be redundant for the user
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

Hello Poyntesm,

The official distribution of phpBB is made in available English (World English using the definitions from the Cambridge English Language Learners Dictionary). It is from this that we expect that all modification will be distributed in the same style of English. Because the distribution is only in English, and it expected of all installs to have English present, all primary MODX files for a template, or the MOD will contain edits to the English language. While the Language can be disabled, we expect it to not be removed.

On the other hand phpBB ships with two styles, one of which is installed by default.
prosilver - installed by default
subsilver2 - not installed by default but distributed with

This Leads to the MOD Team requirements that the development team have asked us to keep. First trick is to not bundle the language requirements with the template requirements. They are different requirements, so the mind set that they can be handled the same must be chucked out the window. It may be harder for those comming from phpBB2 like myself to remember these requirements.

In the main MODX file you must include the English language edits, they must not be separated, they must be included.
e.g.
install.xml - contains English edits only

However you must not include prosilver, subsilver2, or indeed any template changes in this main MODX file.
e.g.
/templates/prosilver.xml - contains prosilver edits only.
/templates/subsilver2.xml - contains subsilver2 edits only.

Now this gets a little more interesting, but exactly the same for image sets. In the template specific MODX file you must include the English language edits, they must not be separated, they must be included.
e.g.
/templates/prosilver.xml - contains prosilver edits, and English prosilver image set edits only.
/templates/prosilver.xml - contains subsilver2 edits, and English subsilver2 image set edits only.

Now you come to localise phpBB3 modifications by applying the same principle to each of these.

For the main language system itself (anything language related that isn't an image set), you place in the languages directory.
e.g.
/languages/nl.xml - contains language file edits for the dutch language.

But when it comes to localising an image set, you have to localise the template edits. This is achieved by having another MODX file for that scenario.
e.g.
/templates/prosilver/nl.xml - contains prosilver image set edits for the dutch language.
/tempates/subsillver2/nl.xml - contains prosilver image set edits for the dutch language.

What this adds up to is a minimum and maximum amount of edits based on what you change in phpBB3.

The minimum is 1 MODX file for modifications that do not change templates or image sets.
The most likely case is 2 MODX files, one for code changes and English language, and template changes.
It is also 2 MODX files for modifications that do not change templates but add a LOTE (for all intensive purposes en-us is a LOTE).
It is then 3 MODX files for modifications that change templates and a LOTE, discounting image sets.
It is then 4 MODX files for modifications that change templates, and a LOTE, including image sets.

That way the user and EasyMOD only install what they need, and they can see from the directory structure what they will need. Of course it will be even more if you have multiple LOTEs and templates, and then a combination. But it tends to get complex no-matter how much sugar you add to the spoon of medicine.

I hope that addresses your concerns. As for the specification, it is now complete and you can do everything and it will not be changing.

smithy_dll,
The phpBB Modifications Team
Systems Engineering
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is clear now. The problem now is with the documentation and I will file bug reports for them. The main issue with the documentation is currently it states.
http://www.phpbb.com/mods/documentation/modx/packaging/index.php wrote:The MODX file must only edit the default template of the target application, and the language it is natively distributed in.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

MODX is MODX, not phpBB Modifications Database requirements. The correct messages are present in the appropriate documentation.
Systems Engineering
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

I did not once say I was talking about phpBB MODDB requirements.

The page I was talking about was packaging MODS forMODX. If I want to package and distribution from my own site that is still packaging a MODX MOD and has nothing to do with MODDB requirements.

http://www.phpbb.com/mods/documentation ... /index.php is the page I am talking about. If it only applies to MODDB then it needs to state as much, how am I meant to know it unless it states as much. It is from the section "MODX: XML Modification Description Format" which does not say its the MODDB requirements.

smithy_dll it may all be crystal clear to you as the author of it all, but what use is the specification and documentation if the people it is meant for do not find it clear?

EDIT: So in that case are you telling me the MODDB requirement is that we DO edit the default template in the main MODX. If that is the case then give me a break but you guys need to sort it out.
david63

Post by david63 »

To make things clear for everyone would it not be possible to create a "dummy" MODX package so that we can all see what is required - remember a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Surely it will be easier all round if mod authors get the "packaging" right first time and mods do not have be rejected because they are packaged wrong and then re submitted.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
primehalo
Former Team Member

Post by primehalo »

smithy_dll wrote:/templates/prosilver.xml - contains subsilver2 edits, and English subsilver2 image set edits only.
:oops: Copy and paste error, I believe.
Ken F. Innes IV
My Extensions | My MODs | My Topics | My Site: Absolute Anime
Experience the wonder of Japanese Animation!
poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Yes. I am 100% clear on the requirements now for both MODX and MODDB thank to smithy_dll's post. The issue stems from the fact the documentation is not clear enough. I have submitted 4 bugs that I believe if fixed would remove any doubt.
coppro

Post by coppro »

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so what exactly is 'gamma' and 'delta' in stages?
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

coppro wrote:I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so what exactly is 'gamma' and 'delta' in stages?
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_r ... life_cycle
Systems Engineering
Creomire

Post by Creomire »

I'm looking to make my next mod release MODX compliant.

I am creating a Mod Template (text) install file, and then using the utility on this site to convert to MODX file. I will then allow the mod installer the choice of which method they want to use for installation.

The slight problem I have is with the incuded files. In my Mod Template file, I refer to the included files as such:

#
#-----[ COPY ]------------------------------------------
#
copy root/*.* to *.*
This is because There are 100+ incuded files, and listing them would wera out my keyboard ( :lol: ). Unfortunately, when converting to MODX, it is showing my mod as having one (1) included file.

What is my workaround in this situation?
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

There is none, it is calculated on the fly from the number of <file>s.
Systems Engineering
Dabroz

Post by Dabroz »

I have sent you a PM about MODX, if you have PMs disabled I could post it here. ;)
http://www.phpbb2.pl - the first and the biggest Polish phpBB site.
My tools and MODs: phPKG (dev3) • User Useragent Stats
If you appreciate my work, you can donate me with PayPal.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

I have got your PM, it might take me a few days to reply properly as I am quite busy. Don't fret.

p.s. Would you mind cutting back on the spam just a tad ;)
Systems Engineering

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”