Automatic thumbnails on index

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
inikad

Automatic thumbnails on index

Post by inikad »

Hi,

I'm looking for a mod to put thumbnails on the viewforum's pages of my forum. It's a forum about photography and even if I saw few phpbb forums with this option, I can't find the code to do this without having a gallery to upload all the photos in my own forum (too heavy).

For example, there is this forum where you can use an external photo hosting like imageshack. When you post a topic with a picture, the forum automatically generate a thumb on the viewforum page:

Thank you for your help and sorry for my english. :)
Last edited by inikad on Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
gkazanci

Re: Automatic thumbnails on index

Post by gkazanci »

inikad

Post by inikad »

The mod is not up to date (phpbb 3.0.2) and adds an internal system to download pictures before to create thumbs. I'm looking for a code to add thumbs only on viewforum.php, even if a member uses an external photo hosting, so a lighter system than the one in your suggestion. :)

The guy who have made the code for the webmaster of the forum in my exemple say about it:

"To build the mod I have used many of the features already present in phpbb, especially with regard to the parsing of request_var and message in order to increase safety and avoid sql injection." (italian translation from google)

But he doesn't want to share this code with others people... :cry:
rufuz

Post by rufuz »

inikad wrote: But he doesn't want to share this code with others people... :cry:
I don't think he is obligated to, however let me say, that attitude is disappointing: he gets 99,9% of code for free here and becomes jealous of his modification even the code should remain open as phpbb gpl license says it clearly.

Anyway, a mod like that should be not so difficult to get, if compared to the benefits.

If nobody is going to develop such code, I and anyone who want can ask for a paid service (or bid on getafreelancer.com or similar) sharing the costs. Then the mod could be shared here, open source and open to contributions to make it better and updated.

anyone who's interested is pleased to share their thought here.

bye

ricc.
inikad

Post by inikad »

Up :oops:

I'm still looking for a mod to add this option to my forum about photography. :(
inikad

Post by inikad »

UP. ;)

Still no mod in development to do this?
idiotnesia
Name: Pungky Putra

Post by idiotnesia »

Which images will be choose if there are some images attachments?
inikad

Post by inikad »

Images attachment is desactivated on my forum and It seems to be the same thing in the forum where I took my example.

I don't know how it would be with this option activated. I suppose the system will take the first picture between in the topic to generate the thumbnail.
trickoff

Post by trickoff »

I want this too!
inikad

Post by inikad »

Yes, it would be so great to have such a mod for phpbb, like SMF or Vbulletin. :)
4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven »

I have testwise combine two new snippets by 4seven:

- [dev] preview last x [attachments] in viewforum (with highslide)
- [dev] first topic [attachment] on forum index v.0.0.1
* @ this time the first [attachment] is shown

- height is adjustable. width is automatic.
- at this stage it works with [attachments] only
- transform it to standard [img] will be possible

http://4seven.kilu.de/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=7

maybe this is a kind of u need. just in dev, so it takes a while, if this is near 2 your vision...
positioning etc. is subordinate in this early stage...
Last edited by 4_seven on Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM
inikad

Post by inikad »

It could be something like that yes, but working with external hosting (imageshack, photobucket...) because of the bandwidth. The idea would be to produce an automatic thumbnail on viewforum.php when somoeone put an external link to show a picture in his topic. When you click on the thumbnail in viewforum (or the title of the topic like actually), it will open the topic page. I suppose the system would use bbcode [img] to do it.

A link to show you the exemple I spoke at the beginning of this topic

http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewf ... a09dcb7e3a

(It seems to have more options in this exemple but the most interesting option, it's to show a thumbnail of the photography on viewforum with a link to open the topic when you click on it)
4_seven
I've Been Banned!

Post by 4_seven »

inikad wrote:It could be something like that yes, but working with external hosting (imageshack, photobucket...) because of the bandwidth.
4_seven wrote:- transform it to standard [img] will be possible.
The idea would be to produce an automatic thumbnail on viewforum.php when somoeone put a an external link to show a picture in his topic. When you click on the thumbnail in viewforum (or the title of the topic like actually), it opens the topic page. I suppose the system would use bbcode [img] to do it.
the intention if this mod(snippet)-request is clear as vodka
A link to show you the exemple I spoke at the beginning of this topic

http://www.juzaforum.com/forum-en/viewf ... a09dcb7e3a

(It seems to have more options in this exemple but the most interesting option, it's to show a thumbnail of the photography on viewforum with a link to open the topic when you click on it)
The link to this was the missing-link itself. Now i see, that is simpler as thougt.
the only thing is, that your host need fsockopen = on (remote_file_access) to do this.
if not, only a simple html-resize of original-pic is possible ;)

anyway, much people i think, need this for [attachments],
so it will be a "one man job" just for u, or other people interested in an [img]-version?
Current Mods | Mod Base | php(BB) programming | No help via PM
inikad

Post by inikad »

4_seven wrote:it will be a "one man job" just for u, or other people interested in an [img]-version?
Well, I'm pretty sure other people will be interested by an "img version", especially all the forums about photography but also other forums where members show pictures in topics. Most of the time, photos shown in this kind of forums are "heavy" (300Ko for example), so they use external photo hosting to do not have problems with bandwidth limits, particularly if they have a lot of members (except some big forums with enough money).

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”