[REQUEST] Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Anti-Spam Guide
Artistix

[REQUEST] Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by Artistix »

Hello

A few days ago (I think it was 21 of April 2010), Facebook updated their platform with a totally new datamodel to make it more easy for developers to connect their content to other websites! :idea:

Up until now there has been numerous attemts to make a "facebook connect" buttons combined with the phpBB platform. Ive had my share of both sucessfull, and not very successfull MODs that has actually worked. And most of them are very limited to only do one thing ..and believe me, I have tried them all :shock: (yeah... its sad but true)

I'm no super php programmer, so this is where you guys need to help out :)

The "perfect" Facebook Connect MOD Im looking for should:

1: Manage to register people, without having to go through the default registering process.
2: The ability to stay "anonymous" - (i.e. The user gets an option to choose another nickname/and avatar)
3: the amount of information shared is done by facebook, but It would be handy to be able to choose that from the ACP as well.
4: Log in and out, with the facebook button (or a custom made button)
5: The ability to share posts/threds/images to your wall in Facebook.
6: Have the option "Like" on each thred/post
7: Invite and recomend friends through the UCP
8: And last add the option to view Analytics. (to track your traffic. )
9: A nice ACP/UCP interface with a lot of easy settings!!!! for both users, and the admin.

...All of theese feature are handled VERY easy from Facebook, and is very easy to set up as Ive seen the videos from the release of F8. But as I am now php expert, the features need to be implemented into the phpBB code.

Has anybody out there been able to have a look at this yet, with the new release statements from Facebook?

And... Please dont post any old thread links to all the old Facebook connect attemts : (Read the post first!) This concerns the new stuff! :)

Thank you all 8-)
Last edited by Artistix on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Boardtalk.net
Name: Colette

Re: Facebook - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by Boardtalk.net »

I heard about face-books recent update and would like to know too how this could be done too. Unfortunately, I’m no coder but would be very interested in this becoming a mod.
Best of luck with it,
;)
Urgeman

Re: NEW Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by Urgeman »

This is a fantastic Idea, Artistix :!:

I have also had a lot of trouble with existing Facebook MODs not working at all.. so anoying!

This MOD you're talking about, would help the "phpBB" comunity as well... imagine how easy and intuitive everything will become if the Facebook connect was added as a buildt in MOD for the next phpBB release :D

:arrow: Count me in as a BETA tester!
RRManager

Re: NEW Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by RRManager »

Artistix wrote:3: the amount of information shared is done by facebook, but It would be handy to be able to choose that from the ACP as well.
9: A nice ACP/UCP interface with a lot of easy settings!!!! for both users, and the admin.
6 is what I really want here. 7 and 9 would be nice, but I understand if it isn't implemented in v.1
Stynk Monkey

Re: [REQUEST] Facebook Connect - phpBB3 bridge MOD

Post by Stynk Monkey »

I'd love to see something like this get worked out. Count me in as a beta as well.
martoccia

Post by martoccia »

I would also be happy to get this mod!
Would it be possible in the time being to implement the "like this" button manually!? I only need to know how to get the current url in order to fill it to this code:

Code: Select all

<iframe src="http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http://youforumurl/GET THE CURRENT POSTURL&layout=standard&show_faces=true&width=450&action=like&colorscheme=light" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" style="border:none; overflow:hidden; width:450px; height:px"></iframe>
Any idea?!

Have a nice evening!
Last edited by camm15h on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Code tags added.
Urgeman

Post by Urgeman »

Ive had a look at the Facebook dev pages. It looks VERY easy to implement the code :shock:

So my guess is that its only a matter of inserting the code snippets in the right php/html page(s) ?

Maybe Im way of track, I dont know... :cry: Any idea?
RRManager

Post by RRManager »

The question isn't how to embed the code, but how to insert some sort of identifier to indicate which page/thread you "liked"
Artistix

Post by Artistix »

RRManager wrote:The question isn't how to embed the code, but how to insert some sort of identifier to indicate which page/thread you "liked"

Yeah, but I was kind of hoping that it could do a bit more than just "like" a thread. ;)
Invite, Register, vote, Post to wall, ...Share images... you name it. the whole shebang basically
kickball365

Post by kickball365 »

Artistix wrote:The "perfect" Facebook Connect MOD Im looking for should:
1: Manage to register people, without having to go through the default registering process.
2: The ability to stay "anonymous" - (i.e. The user gets an option to choose another nickname/and avatar)
3: the amount of information shared is done by facebook, but It would be handy to be able to choose that from the ACP as well.
4: Log in and out, with the facebook button (or a custom made button)
5: The ability to share posts/threds/images to your wall in Facebook.
8: And last add the option to view Analytics. (to track your traffic. )
Thanks for posting this!

As for your "perfect" MOD:
1. Agreed.
2. Not so sure about this. Anonymous and Facebook don't go together.
3. I think this would be maintained by the facebook application you need to setup in order for FB connect to work. I thought, and I may be wrong, you need to create a FB application in order to have FB connect to your site.
4. Agreed.
5/6. The LIKE button on all threads (at top of page) would be great. I utilize an "addthis" button which has helped user's promote my content elsewhere (like on FB).
7. Slick, but I don't think it'd be necessary in v1.
8. FB would allow you to do this so no phpBB dev needed.
9. Not sure what settings. All FB related settings would be on their end I thought?
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Artistix wrote: 6: Have the option "Like" on each thred/post
That was done here a few day's ago so I popped onto my forum so I could find it easy. Plasmino managed to get it to 'Like' each thread.

I had been playing around trying to get it to 'Like' each post but lack the skill, might have another look at it. Anyway, here's the link: [Snippet] Facebook Like Button on phpbb forums

;)
mikeemesser

Post by mikeemesser »

Boardtalk.net wrote:Plasmino managed to get it to 'Like' each thread.
Did anyone manage to implement a "Like" button for individual messages? For threads it is quite easy but rather useless, because with "ADDthis" you have much more options.

But for individual messages it could be useful, but we had a problem with the #- (Anchor-) Tag, because the like-button seems to ignore it. Has anybody found a workaround yet?

Thanx 4 hints,

Michael
Boardtalk.net

Post by Boardtalk.net »

Hi Michael,
I haven't seen anyone get it working yet and have been keeping a looking out. Am sure someone will figure it out if we keep asking. :? I would like to see this working.
soumik

Post by soumik »

Well, this may not be the "perfect" mod you are looking for, but it's a step towards it.
Facebook Like button mod.