[request] IP Tracking

Looking for a MOD? Have a MOD request? Post here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; phpBB does not have official MOD authors)
Scam Warning
IPB_Refugee
Name: Wolfgang Weber

[request] IP Tracking

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hi,

it would be great to have an IP tracking tool in ACP. This tool should at least show

- when two or more members have visited the board (or even posted) with/from one and the same IP address
- save and show all IP addresses from all members
- save and show the IP address and the email address which were valid at the time when someone registered an account
- ability to search for IP addresses/members
- ability to configure the MOD (how many IP addresses should be saved? delete the x oldest IP addresses and so on)

For phpBB2 there are e.g. these MODs:
## Mod Title: Log IP's on Registration
## Mod Version: 1.1.2
## Author: Woody <[email protected]>
## Description: This will log a users IP when they register.
## From the admin panel, you can search for a user
## you will be displayed with the username you
## searched for, the IP they registered at, their
## email address and any other username's that
## registered from that IP address.
## MOD Title: Advanced IP Tracking
## MOD Author: aUsTiN => [email protected]
## modifiziert von andreasOymann und FSKiller
## MOD Description: Track IPs, Page Views, Username, Admin Hits, Referer, Browser
## MOD Version: 2.2.2
Regards
Wolfgang
Nothing is easy

Re: [request] IP Tracking

Post by Nothing is easy »

While I understand your sentiments behind this mod request, there a plenty of situations where the same IP address is legitimately used by more than 1 user. Probably the best example of this is AOL users - just do an IP check on a post from any AOL user on your board and you will get a list of many more users who are definitely not the same person but have used that IP address at some time.

Similarly the same thing happens with different users who use an ISP that allocates dynamic IP addresses.

This is why you should be carefull before banning any IP address that you don't cause unintentionally bans on others users.
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Hi Nothing is easy,

you are absolutely right. I know these things but nonetheless an IP Tracking MOD can really be helpful. (So my request persists.)
Nothing is easy wrote:This is why you should be carefull before banning any IP address that you don't cause unintentionally bans on others users.
Til now I never had to ban an IP address or a user. :)

Have a nice weekend
Wolfgang
HollywoodHogan

Post by HollywoodHogan »

Just to add to the IP address talk. How about also having the ability to check further into the IP address. Like, perhaps have a page that shows full details on that address as far as who the ISP is, contact info for the ISP, etc. Just in case you need to report a frequent offender to their ISP. :twisted:
KidneyBoy

Post by KidneyBoy »

I too would like to get similar tools. There's an IP logger that logs the date/time/IP/browser, and points out any duplicate IP's for version 2.x (Called CCIP Logger, or CodeCrush IP Logger)

I'd love to see something similar to this for 3.x as well. As mentioned above, yes the IP can be shared from an ISP, but I believe that CCIP adds something to the cookie that specifically points out that the actual computer has used a diffrent username. Yes you can get around that by simply deleting your cookies, but my experience is that most people do not realize that, so it's a *VERY* helpful tool.

Anyway, I would LOVE to see something like this added as well. I sure hope somebody with the time and smarts could consider this project!

*cheers*
jon123

Post by jon123 »

i also would like this Thanks
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

I would personally love to see the Codecrush Log System developed for PHPBB3 :D
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

KidneyBoy wrote:I too would like to get similar tools. There's an IP logger that logs the date/time/IP/browser, and points out any duplicate IP's for version 2.x (Called CCIP Logger, or CodeCrush IP Logger)

I'd love to see something similar to this for 3.x as well. As mentioned above, yes the IP can be shared from an ISP, but I believe that CCIP adds something to the cookie that specifically points out that the actual computer has used a diffrent username.
That sounds good. :) I think the main reason for wanting this MOD is to get known of multiple accounts from one PC. Would you agree?

Regards
Wolfgang
RedTrinity

Post by RedTrinity »

IPB_Refugee wrote: I think the main reason for wanting this MOD is to get known of multiple accounts from one PC. Would you agree?

Regards
Wolfgang
Yeah that and also tracking guest visits and IP addresses :P
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

I see. :)

Have a nice weekend!
Wolfgang
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Two month over - so I should be allowed to bump this topic. :)

Regards
Wolfgang
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

Another four months are over. So why not giving this thread a little bumping? :P

Regards
Wolfgang
Palom

Post by Palom »

Sorry to bump, but I am looking for something to track IP addresses, as well.

My forum has someone that's logging in to another's account to access private members-only areas. The only problem is that since he does not post anything, we have no record of the IP address to prove when it's happening. I would like to be able to keep logs of IP addresses when a user logs in to cross reference and see which account this is happening on.
IPB_Refugee

Post by IPB_Refugee »

It would also be important for me to track all page views, like the Advanced IP Tracking MOD for phpBB-2 does: Which user read which topic at which time and with which IP? In fact I needed this feature three times in the last few months. :?

Regards
Wolfgang
DarkArchon

Post by DarkArchon »

Another bump I suppose, I could really use a professionally written mod like this. I realize IP's aren't the best thing to ban by, but until someone can think of something better, it's what we got. Idealy I want to check for "multis" (there is a reason behind this on my board), so something like Username, last 10 IPs, login times... someone mentioned something with the cookies, perhaps ISP, browser, etc.

For bonus points, a way to compare all this that points out which users more than likely have multiple accounts.

Anyway, it's been more than a few months, so a) has anyone found this, and b) bump!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Requests”