HELP! Problems with log in

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
isabel1982

HELP! Problems with log in

Post by isabel1982 »

Hi!

i think i've installed correctly the phpbb forum but, when i tried log in the forum never assume the login. It do'nt recognize me has logged in. How can i go to the administration panel if the forum don't let me enter??
I tried create a new registration and this new user could'nt enter too... What is happening? Anybody knows?

Please help me!

Thanks in advance,

Isabel
isabel1982

Re: HELP! Problems with log in

Post by isabel1982 »

Hi! My forum is correctly working in firefox... but in Internet explorer the problem go on :( Anybody can help me? Please...
herenvardo

Post by herenvardo »

I'm having what seems to be the same issue; I'll try to provide every possible detail so it can be more easily solved. isabel, you should check if this is the same issue than yours, and if so, provide also the details you can, in order to get it solved sooner.
The issue: When attempting to login, nothing happens: no error message of any kind, but appears the homepage again, showing the links to login and register, and doesn't detect me as a logged user. Tried from the login mini-form at the bottom of the home page, and also through the login.php page, reached with the login link in the top of page. No matter what I do, I appear as a guest on the "Who is online" box. Tried to wipe the installation out and started with a new installation, the problem persisted. Also tried to register a new account, registered without problems but cannot login with it neither.
The details: in my case, my site's server is linux (kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3.ELsmp), Apache (1.3.37 Unix), DB Engine: MySQL 5.0.27-standard, PHP version 5.2.0. I'm installing and trying to work with phpBB version 2.0.22, installed using Fantastico. As additional note, I had previously installed another board on the same server, it works fine currently, although I had similar issues at the beginning, can't remember how got it solved. I upgraded this older board (it was version .21) using also Fantastico, and got no problems at all.
I'm trying to connect from both Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.3 and Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11, on Windows XP SP2. I've tried to relax all the security and privacy settings in both browsers, with no results.

Any help will be greatly thanked. If any other detail might be needed to solve this issue, just ask. In the meanwhile, I'll try to compare the login.php files of my both installations (the old, which works, and the new, which doesn't), looking for any difference that could be the source of the problem.

Greetings and thanks in advance for any help,
Herenvardo

UPDATE: I've run diff on all the board files: the only differences appear on the database name and database connection details, which is obvious. Everything else is identical. I've checked the database permissions, to make sure the phpbb user already had all permissions for the board's db. Additionally, I tried to login with a deliberately wrong password, getting the corresponding error page. So, I can say that the forum already checks the the username and password, and the problem is somewhere later to this step. At this point, I'm totally clueless about what to try.
Last edited by herenvardo on Tue May 29, 2007 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Login issues are often due to incorrect cookies.

Get the cookie fixer linked in my sig below.

Extract it and upload the install/cookie.php file to your forum folder.

In your browser go to
yoursite.com/forumfolder/install/cookie.php

At the bottom of the page you see select the option to accept the settings and then delete the install folder from the server.

See if that fixes it.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
herenvardo

Post by herenvardo »

Something around cookies was my first guess, and that's why I set my IE settings to "accept all cookies"... however, it seems that the problem was not on accepting the cookie client-side, but on how was the board sending it.
The cookie fixer worked, thanks a lot! ^^ Also, I'll point out that the 'fix' which seemed most relevant was the cookie path, wich was being set to the domain root (/) instead of the actual board root.
Hope this also helps isabell, and any other who might be having that issue.

Thanks again, and greetings,
Herenvardo

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”