What are your opnions about OpenInviter security?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
PrinceWords

What are your opnions about OpenInviter security?

Post by PrinceWords »

hi everyone :)
well, I'm using this since a year or more, OpenInviter which is free and open source inviter and has a mod for phpbb3 which I'm using, and well I like it with no problems.
But just got the thought today to discuss with you who tried it or actually use it? what you think about its security? is the privacy of forum users who use it very safe? I don't ask from the program point of view, I may go their site if i want to, I just ask for php programmers view? and from forum admins view too?
awaiting for your opinions :)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: What are your opnions about OpenInviter security?

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

PrinceWords wrote:hi everyone :)
well, I'm using this since a year or more, OpenInviter which is free and open source inviter and has a mod for phpbb3 which I'm using, and well I like it with no problems.
But just got the thought today to discuss with you who tried it or actually use it? what you think about its security? is the privacy of forum users who use it very safe? I don't ask from the program point of view, I may go their site if i want to, I just ask for php programmers view? and from forum admins view too?
never heard of it. what is it for? phpbb is very secure just like it is.

robert
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

I'm not really impressed by this product.
"A self hosted viral tool" It imports address books from various services when you give your login details.
# Easy access to your visitors address book in all major email providers and social networks around the world.

# Constant updates so that you can sit back and relax and always have access to the latest ways to get your visitor's address book.
huh?
Sounds phish to me...

What is this product supposed to do?
Signature is here
PrinceWords

Post by PrinceWords »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:never heard of it. what is it for? phpbb is very secure just like it is.
robert
lurttinen wrote:I'm not really impressed by this product.
"A self hosted viral tool" It imports address books from various services when you give your login details.
# Easy access to your visitors address book in all major email providers and social networks around the world.

# Constant updates so that you can sit back and relax and always have access to the latest ways to get your visitor's address book.
huh?
Sounds phish to me...

What is this product supposed to do?
well, First of all, thanks Lumpy Burgertushie and lurttinen for passing here :)
actually, I was amazed now seeing how its not known here in phpbb, I searched and found no mod of it in mod database, or even development ones, and the results about it were just 4 that refer to it.
well, for answering the question about what is it for? I say its a social community tool, that give your community the power of myspace and facebook which was built at first place and became that famous with the e-mail inviter function, and so open inviter give me at least the ability to do so with my forum, and it was really a missed feature for me, plus it give the ability to invite user's facebook contacts and many other social networks.
The funny thing is, I think its not well known cause admins may keep it for themselves or so, for me I found it by chance while viewing some forum and found the " invite your friend " link, entered there and found no link at all telling what is this?! and viewing source was the help, i found about OpenInviter there.
so, I hope I explained it well, what you think about it now? and still no one who really used it in his forum?
Darth Wong
Name: Michael Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Are you saying that it allows you to send out E-mail invitations to your members' friends by going through their address books? If that's the case, it's rather extraordinarily obnoxious.
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Looks like this inviter is doing the very thing facebook and all is telling you not to do.
Do not share your login information with anyone. Basically, site A is asking login information to site B and using that information to log into your account and fetching contact information for your friends.

While an admin might like this feature to invite more users to their website. It is the one most stupid thing your users can do. :)
Give out their login information to a third party website.
If i ever caught my friend doing such thing he will be kicked off from my buddy list faster than they can spell a "cat". ;)
Signature is here
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

lurttinen wrote:Looks like this inviter is doing the very thing facebook and all is telling you not to do.
Do not share your login information with anyone. Basically, site A is asking login information to site B and using that information to log into your account and fetching contact information for your friends.

While an admin might like this feature to invite more users to their website. It is the one most stupid thing your users can do. :)
If i ever caught my friend doing such thing he will be kicked off from my buddy list faster than they can spell a "cat". ;)
Facebook asks you for your Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. passwords. This is doing the same thing Facebook is doing.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
PrinceWords

Post by PrinceWords »

Techie-Micheal wrote:
lurttinen wrote:Looks like this inviter is doing the very thing facebook and all is telling you not to do.

Facebook asks you for your Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc. passwords. This is doing the same thing Facebook is doing.
LOL! Thanks for copying the answer of my mind :)
Facebook and myspace actually was built by that, did hotmail or yahoo stop them? :)
and to not get the topic out of its purpose...any one used open Inviter and can give some feedback about?
mhs135

Post by mhs135 »

Subject: What are your opnions about OpenInviter security?
PrinceWords wrote:hi everyone :)
me too using phpbb 3.0.6 but when installing openinviter via automod, im getting the error :"Can't find the file 'overall_header.html' in the template folfer in styles. I dont know why it happens. Can you advice me what to do?
Or can you send me the installation file of openinviter from which u hav installed on ur forum?
Thanks and regards,
Mahesh

Return to “General Discussion”