Deep linking

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Anti-Spam Guide
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Superwaffle

Deep linking

Post by Superwaffle »

I'm pretty sure Deep linking is the term I'm looking for, if not, I'll describe it anyway.

I've noticed some people on this, and other forums linking directly to a certain post in a thread, or even just a certain part of a post, or page. Is this possible, or is it just my imagination? If so, how would I do it?
soumik

Re: Deep linking

Post by soumik »

You can use anchors at the end of the URLs.

For example, the anchor for my post is 'p12872302' and the URL for this thread is http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2105964. If you go to http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12872302, it will load the page and jump to my post.
Powered by chocolate
Superwaffle

Post by Superwaffle »

Oh nice. So I put # then the number of the post. How do I get the number of the post? Do I have to press the EDIT button every time to find it?
NathanFtw

Post by NathanFtw »

Superwaffle wrote:Oh nice. So I put # then the number of the post. How do I get the number of the post? Do I have to press the EDIT button every time to find it?
The icon next to your name on the viewtopic page will link to the post, for example on the phpbb board the icon is the Image, if you click it, it will automatically load the page and go straight to your post :D

Also if you want to find the post number, when you click that icon just check for the numbers after the p=
Superwaffle

Post by Superwaffle »

That's exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you both!
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Or right click that icon and Copy link location. This is a link to your second post in this topic - http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... #p12872303
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Superwaffle

Post by Superwaffle »

Even better. Thank you as well.
Superwaffle

Post by Superwaffle »

Is it possible to add anchors into a post? For instance, I have an FAQ on my forum, and people always ask me questions about how to do something on the chat that is associated with our forum. It would be really helpful to be able to just link them to that one point in the post.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
Superwaffle

Post by Superwaffle »

I already have that BBCode, but I just realized that if I were to "Copy Link Location" of the Goto link that connects with the anchor I place in that post, it would have link me there if I were to paste it in the address bar. It never even occurred to me.

Thanks again!

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”