[ReadMe ] Problems with RC6 / RC7

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

[ReadMe ] Problems with RC6 / RC7

Post by Marshalrusty »

Updated for the RC7 release

Due to several issues with the RC6 package, RC7 has now been released. If you have already updated to RC6, please proceed with the update to RC7. If you are still using RC5, you can update directly to RC7 without going to RC6.

With the substantial changes in RC6/7 comes the burden of actually having to update everything. As has been explained in detail here, these changes were necessary and lay the road for more stability in the future.

Unfortunately, this also means that all pre-RC6 styles and many MODs will no longer work. If you have been modifying your installation, then you will likely encounter conflicts if running the auto updater. To an even larger extent, you will probably not be able to "FIND" code blocks when installing new MODs.

If your board is particularly modified, it may not be possible to use the automatic package. In this case, I would suggest uploading fresh copies of all files (except config.php) and running install/database_update.php. This will remove all MODs that have been installed, but should get everything back up and working. If you decide to use this method be sure to make backups of your files beforehand.

If you are using a template other than prosilver or subsilver2, you will receive "invalid form" errors on a large number of pages. You will also be unable to reauthenticate when entering the administration panel. Both of these issues have to do with outdated code in the style you are using. 77 files have been modified between RC5 and RC6, as well as a few more in RC7. Thanks to Raimon, you can find a full list of these changes here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 4&t=585027
If you do not wish to make the changes manually, then I suggest temporarily reverting to prosilver/subsilver2 or another style that has been updated while the author of your style updates the package. If you are unable to access the administration panel to change the default style, make the changes here or use the workaround here.

If you are experiencing problems with avatars or attachments (either not showing up, or not uploading), please check the folder permissions. So far, this has been the fix for everyone reporting this problem. CHMOD the folders/files to 777 and then back to their proper setting.
/downloads/ - 755
/downloads/file.php - 644

Finally, we realize that this will not be the smoothest update for everyone, but hope that you will hold out for the better times that these changes will bring.

I'll leave this open for questions and/or fixes. This post will be updated with links to common fixes (either by me or other team members).
Last edited by AdamR on Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: de-stickifying
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: [ReadMe ] Problems with RC6 / Release of RC7

Post by Marshalrusty »

If you are using a style other than prosilver/subsilver2 and are unable to reauthenticate when entering the administration panel, you need to make the following changes (they may need to be adapted to work with your custom style; but the changes should be clear). I suggest switching to a RC6 version of prosilver (and overriding user selections) as soon as you get into the administration panel. Please also note that these two edits will only fix the reauthentication; there are many other changes that need to be made to outdated templates.

Open styles/{your_style}/template/login_body.html
Find:

Code: Select all

<dt><label for="username">{L_USERNAME}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="text" tabindex="1" name="username" id="username" size="25" value="{USERNAME}" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
Replace with:

<dt><label for="{USERNAME_CREDENTIAL}">{L_USERNAME}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="text" tabindex="1" name="{USERNAME_CREDENTIAL}" id="{USERNAME_CREDENTIAL}" size="25" value="{USERNAME}" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
Find:

<dt><label for="password">{L_PASSWORD}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="password" tabindex="2" id="password" name="password" size="25" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
Replace with:

<dt><label for="{PASSWORD_CREDENTIAL}">{L_PASSWORD}:</label></dt>
<dd><input type="password" tabindex="2" id="{PASSWORD_CREDENTIAL}" name="{PASSWORD_CREDENTIAL}" size="25" class="inputbox autowidth" /></dd>
#anchor
You may also need to:
1) Clear the /cache/ folder of everything except the index.htm and .htaccess files
2)
  1. Create a clear.php file with the following:

<?php
    define('IN_PHPBB', true);
    $phpbb_root_path = (defined('PHPBB_ROOT_PATH')) ? PHPBB_ROOT_PATH : './';
    $phpEx = substr(strrchr(__FILE__, '.'), 1);
    include($phpbb_root_path . 'common.' . $phpEx);
    $user->session_begin();
    $auth->acl($user->data);
    $user->setup();

$sql = 'DELETE FROM ' . STYLES_TEMPLATE_DATA_TABLE . ' WHERE 1 = 1';
    $db->sql_query($sql);

trigger_error('<span style="color:green; font-weight:bold;">Template Data purged successfully</span><br /><br /><span style="color:red; font-weight:bold;">Please delete this file</span>');
    ?>
  2. Upload the file to your board's root folder (the one with config.php)
  3. Run it by navigating to the file in your browser (ex. http://www.yoursite.com/phpBB2/clear.php)
  4. If any errors come up, post them here.
  5. Be sure to delete the file; don't leave it on your server

Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: [ReadMe ] Problems with RC6 / Release of RC7

Post by Marshalrusty »

As this topic was turning into chaos, I have split off the replies and locked the bunch. You can find them here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=585552

If after reading the two posts above you still require assistance, please start a new topic and be sure to fill out the Support Request Template

Return to โ€œ[3.0.x] Support Forumโ€