Convert 2.x to 3.0x. Server error

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Scam Warning
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
lardenr

Convert 2.x to 3.0x. Server error

Post by lardenr »

Hi, just started to install PHPBB3. Already have the latest version of 2.x on the server. Installed v3 to the same server as per the installations.

Now trying to convert 2 over to 3, but keep getting 500 internal server error coming up, which I read was a timeout with the host, and the database is quite big(about 3000 + posts)

I know that you can carry on a conversion where it left of. My question is this, if when the error comes up, and then I just keep going back to continue the conversion, will it eventually finish, or is it stuck at one point. You can't really tell what it's doing. From the admin control panel, you can see it has made a start.

Thanks
Pit$Bull
Former Team Member
Name: Can't Remember

Re: Convert 2.x to 3.0x. Server error

Post by Pit$Bull »

You need to contact your host and ask them to extend your time until your upgrade is complete.
lardenr

Post by lardenr »

Many thanks,

Thought that might be the case, will get on to them.

Cheers
bbrunnrman

Post by bbrunnrman »

Hi lardenr,

Maybe you've already finished your conversion by now, but I thought you'd like to know that I just converted my board from 2 to 3 a few days ago. I also experienced frequent Internal Server Errors due to timeouts, but I persisted and, over a period of several hours of repeatedly restarting after each error, it finally finished and was apparently successful. At the time of conversion, this board had nearly 75000 posts.

The easiest way to see if the converter is making progress, not just stuck at one point, is to examine the full URL in your browser's address bar after each error. This URL includes components telling where it is in your database: table number and row number. If these numbers are advancing, you know that it's working through the database.

Pit$Bull suggested asking your hosting provider to increase your time limit. If you're in a shared hosting environment, they may not be willing or able to increase that limit enough to enable the converter to finish in one pass.

Incidentally, after the converter finishes, there's another resource-intensive process that can also result in Internal Server Errors, but can also be restarted where it leaves off: Rebuilding your board's Search index. This is done in the ACP and, compared with the converter, has a more user-friendly interface that lets you watch its progress - i.e., shows you how many posts it has indexed.
Xous

Post by Xous »

Hi !

My suggestion (and what I did), in case that your hosting provider does not allow to change the time-out parameter:

Install WAMP/LAMP on your system, grab a backup of your site and DB, make the update locally, and then upload all site files and the DB dump to your hosting.

Regards
Jose
lardenr

Post by lardenr »

Many thanks for all this, I'll give them a go

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”