[BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
Get Involved
Tob76

Re: [BETA] SMF 1.1 to phpBB3 Convertor

Post by Tob76 »

@ alucard3050:

extract the downloaded file into the correct directory (your phpBB root directory), take care that your "install" directory consists of all files that are in there when you install phpBB freshly and then go to this directory in your browser like www.domain.com/phpbb/install/ - there you will find "convertor" or something like that and there you go...
Ralficzek

Post by Ralficzek »

You explained it very very bad! FIRSTLY i have to upload normal phpBB3 or what? please tell me? Because when i enter to auth_smf.php file it shows me Blank page, tell me please :)
Ralficzek

Post by Ralficzek »

i see error that some tables from SMF are missed :( What i have to do right now? Go to MySQL and create them?
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Ralficzek wrote:i see error that some tables from SMF are missed :(
What do you mean?
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
PTVDesign

Post by PTVDesign »

posts in subcategories in smf is not converting
Ralficzek

Post by Ralficzek »

I don't have subforums, i wrote about it in SimpleMachines Official Support, maybe someone from phpbb knows how to help me because they don't :(

http://www.simplemachines.org/community ... c=232396.0
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Ralficzek wrote:I don't have subforums, i wrote about it in SimpleMachines Official Support, maybe someone from phpbb knows how to help me because they don't :(

http://www.simplemachines.org/community ... c=232396.0
Does your SMF board even work? (Particularly personal messages)?

I took these from the SMF install file. You should be able to take care of this in phpMyAdmin, which is usually provided by your web host.

Code: Select all

CREATE TABLE prefix_personal_messages (
  ID_PM int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  ID_MEMBER_FROM mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  deletedBySender tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  fromName tinytext NOT NULL,
  msgtime int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  subject tinytext NOT NULL,
  body text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (ID_PM),
  KEY ID_MEMBER (ID_MEMBER_FROM, deletedBySender),
  KEY msgtime (msgtime)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE prefix_pm_recipients (
  ID_PM int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ID_MEMBER mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  labels varchar(60) NOT NULL default '-1',
  bcc tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  is_read tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  deleted tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY (ID_PM, ID_MEMBER),
  UNIQUE ID_MEMBER (ID_MEMBER, deleted, ID_PM)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE prefix_ban_items (
  ID_BAN mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  ID_BAN_GROUP smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_low1 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_high1 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_low2 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_high2 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_low3 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_high3 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_low4 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  ip_high4 tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  hostname tinytext NOT NULL,
  email_address tinytext NOT NULL,
  ID_MEMBER mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  hits mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY (ID_BAN),
  KEY ID_BAN_GROUP (ID_BAN_GROUP)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

CREATE TABLE prefix_ban_groups (
  ID_BAN_GROUP mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
  name varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  ban_time int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  expire_time int(10) unsigned,
  cannot_access tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  cannot_register tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  cannot_post tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  cannot_login tinyint(3) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
  reason tinytext NOT NULL,
  notes text NOT NULL,
  PRIMARY KEY (ID_BAN_GROUP)
) TYPE=MyISAM;
PTVDesign wrote:posts in subcategories in smf is not converting
Is the subcategory itself not showing up, or is it showing up with no posts in it?
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
DynaBonk

Post by DynaBonk »

Hi, I've been working with your converter in an attempt to test converting a 500K+ post SMF 1.0.12 forum. I first converted it to SMF 1.1.1 successfully (36 hour run time). Then I tried to run your converter immediately after a phpbb3 install.

At first I encountered a number of errors I believe were related to my using MySQL 5.0 in strict mode. I made the appropriate(?) edits to functions_smf11.php (file attached for comparison) and managed to get it to start the conversion process.

After about 12 hours the topics table is complete, and I've started the posts table (only about 30K posts in). However it occurred to me that the converter made 500K+ entries in the topics table. Does this mean that each and every imported post will be under its own topic and not in the original threads? If so, that is a deal breaker. (Or is phpbb making an entry in the topics table for every post even though they are in the same topic?)

Additionally, this error keeps reoccurring and I expect to see it many more times resulting in an incomplete (and bugged?) installation...
functions_smf11.php [ 1326 ]:
Post ID: Message parser error:

Your message contains too few characters.
Is there a way to avoid that?

And finally, I understand that this converter does not handle attachments? If not, why not? As depending on the answers to the above questions I may put the effort into getting it to convert attachments as well (contributing the result of course, should I be successful).
Attachments
functions_smf11.php.gz
(16.84 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

I developed the convertor on MySQL5 in strict mode, so that shouldn't be the cause.
However it occurred to me that the converter made 500K+ entries in the topics table.
How did you check this? The skip rows is not always accurate.

The too few characters error is just ugly; the post is still converted normally.

Attachment handling is intermittent ... I've had a number of boards do it successfully, and a number not. Before you invest any time in it, I have some other code sitting around that may work better than what is currently posted here.
A Donut's Blog
DynaBonk

Post by DynaBonk »

I developed the convertor on MySQL5 in strict mode, so that shouldn't be the cause.
Good to know. It may be quirks with our board which has quite the history of conversions already.
However it occurred to me that the converter made 500K+ entries in the topics table.
How did you check this? The skip rows is not always accurate.

Ah, I was going by the skip_rows numbers displayed. Let me take a look at the table directly...

mysql> select count(*) from phpbb_topics; 
+----------+ 
| count(*) | 
+----------+ 
|     2999 | 
+----------+ 
1 row in set (0.03 sec)
Hmm... that does not look right either! I would be expecting ~ 44854 topics.

Attachment handling is intermittent ... I've had a number of boards do it successfully, and a number not.
Let me take a closer look at my results...

mysql> select count(*) from phpbb_attachments; 
+----------+ 
| count(*) | 
+----------+ 
|    12941 | 
+----------+ 
1 row in set (0.06 sec) 

mysql> select count(*) from smf_attachments; 
+----------+ 
| count(*) | 
+----------+ 
|    13189 | 
+----------+ 
1 row in set (0.01 sec)
Close... but it does not appear to have copied them on disk... does phpbb store them as blobs in the db?
Before you invest any time in it, I have some other code sitting around that may work better than what is currently posted here.
Post away good sir, I'm willing to start the test conversion anew to see if I can help work this out.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

DynaBonk wrote:

mysql> select count(*) from phpbb_topics; 
+----------+ 
| count(*) | 
+----------+ 
|     2999 | 
+----------+ 
1 row in set (0.03 sec)
Hmm... that does not look right either! I would be expecting ~ 44854 topics.
No, that doesn't look "quite right"! And you allowed the topics conversion step to run all the way to completion?

Attachment handling is intermittent ... I've had a number of boards do it successfully, and a number not.

Close... but it does not appear to have copied them on disk... does phpbb store them as blobs in the db?
Before you invest any time in it, I have some other code sitting around that may work better than what is currently posted here.
Post away good sir, I'm willing to start the test conversion anew to see if I can help work this out.
phpBB stores its attachments on the disk. Feel free to try this :)
A Donut's Blog
DynaBonk

Post by DynaBonk »

No, that doesn't look "quite right"! And you allowed the topics conversion step to run all the way to completion?
Well I wasn't sure if it was supposed to make a topic entry for every post... and I never checked the actual count on the table until that post. At least I figured I better look into it before sitting through the posts conversion.
Feel free to try this :)
Cool! I'll give that a go tomorrow morning and let you know what I get.
DynaBonk

Post by DynaBonk »

I forgot to mention, it appears conversion does not account for connection to MySQL by socket or named pipe only (I have disabled tcp/ip in MySQL). I edited it to correct that last time, I just need to find where to make that edit again. I can't recall if it was in the converter files or somewhere within the phpbb conversion framework. phpbb itself will install just fine with tcp/ip disabled.

Another question (apologies if it has already been answered): is auto pruning disabled completely? I thought that might explain why I only got 2999 topics last time...

Also: would the converter be affected by the db changes from phpbb 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1?

I have not started the test conversion yet today. Once I can get the conversion to connect by named pipe again, and find a way to guarantee that phpbb will never prune anything, I'll get started.
zoldix

Post by zoldix »

Ralficzek wrote:You explained it very very bad! FIRSTLY i have to upload normal phpBB3 or what? please tell me? Because when i enter to auth_smf.php file it shows me Blank page, tell me please :)
This happened to me too. I tried running every .php file in the convertor archive after uploading them to the correct folders, and they all gave me a blank page, nothing at all happened....I'm converting from SMF 1.1.4 to a freshly installed phpBB 3.0. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

DynaBonk wrote:I forgot to mention, it appears conversion does not account for connection to MySQL by socket or named pipe only (I have disabled tcp/ip in MySQL). I edited it to correct that last time, I just need to find where to make that edit again. I can't recall if it was in the converter files or somewhere within the phpbb conversion framework. phpbb itself will install just fine with tcp/ip disabled.
The convertor uses the same class to connect to the database as the phpBB core does. :?
Another question (apologies if it has already been answered): is auto pruning disabled completely? I thought that might explain why I only got 2999 topics last time...
Auto pruning settings default to off.
Also: would the converter be affected by the db changes from phpbb 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1?
There are no significant DB changes from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1. Just added a column to each of the sessions and the users table table.

Zoldix: Go to www.you.com/phpBB/install and click the convert tab.
A Donut's Blog

Return to “[3.0.x] Convertors”