View or mark unread posts

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in the Customisations Database.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTICE: This forum is only for the announcement of new releases and/or updates of MODs. Any MOD support should be obtained through the Customisations Database in the support area designated for each MOD.

A direct link to support for each MOD is in the first post of the respective topic.
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Re: View or mark unread posts

Post by RMcGirr83 »

asinshesq wrote:Since I am not running a live phpbb3 board yet and don't really have a feel for how it works as a practical matter, I wasn't sure whether people would really need this mod.
I am more than willing to give you access to mine if you like. It's not a "real" forum anyway, in the strictest sense of the term but it's a good "play ground", if you catch my drift. Let me know if interested and thanks again.
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
jeremyotten

Post by jeremyotten »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
asinshesq wrote:Since I am not running a live phpbb3 board yet and don't really have a feel for how it works as a practical matter, I wasn't sure whether people would really need this mod.
I am more than willing to give you access to mine if you like. It's not a "real" forum anyway, in the strictest sense of the term but it's a good "play ground", if you catch my drift. Let me know if interested and thanks again.
dude's use www.usbwebserver.nl

you run everything from a folder and nothing needs to be installed. php / mysql /phpmyadmin / apache all in one. nothing needs to be installed! you have you test forum up in minutes!!!
RMcGirr83
Former Team Member
Name: Rich McGirr

Post by RMcGirr83 »

jeremyotten wrote:you run everything from a folder and nothing needs to be installed. php / mysql /phpmyadmin / apache all in one. nothing needs to be installed! you have you test forum up in minutes!!!
Now what fun is that? :lol:

...and the zip failed so I guess it ain't all that ;)
Former Modifications/Extensions Team Member | My extensions | github | All requests for support via PM will be ignored
Appreciate the extensions/mods/support then buy me a beer Image
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

RMcGirr83 wrote:
jeremyotten wrote:you run everything from a folder and nothing needs to be installed. php / mysql /phpmyadmin / apache all in one. nothing needs to be installed! you have you test forum up in minutes!!!
I agree with that :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks for the offer, guys, but I have a test board up and running (actually, I have about 10 test boards up and running ;) ). That's how I got this far with the phpbb3 mod and others ;)

All I meant was that since I don't run a live phpbb3 board with multiple users, I don't have a strong intuition about the practicalities of what users do or don't need.
jeremyotten

Post by jeremyotten »

asinshesq wrote:
RMcGirr83 wrote:
I agree with that :mrgreen:

Seriously, thanks for the offer, guys, but I have a test board up and running (actually, I have about 10 test boards up and running ;) ). That's how I got this far with the phpbb3 mod and others ;)

All I meant was that since I don't run a live phpbb3 board with multiple users, I don't have a strong intuition about the practicalities of what users do or don't need.
We need the unread topic thing! yeha!
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

jeremyotten wrote:...We need the unread topic thing! yeha!
Thanks for the input.

This mod does two separate things for posts (in addition to the functionality it adds for pms):

- it gives the user a link to see a list of unread posts (and toggles the link text depending on whether there are or are not unread posts)

- it allows a user to mark a post as unread.

I am certain that giving the user a link to see a list of unread posts is useful (I'm surprised that was left out of hphbb3) but the part I wasn't so sure about was giving the user the ability to mark a post as unread (since phpbb3 already allows a user to bookmark a topic).

My sense is that it is a useful thing for a user to be able to mark a post (and the rest of the topic) as unread when he hasn't finished reading it, because:

- marking a post unread allows the user to specify exactly which post is the place where he stopped reading (bookmarking a topic only tells you that a topic is of special importance, but that's of limited use if the topic is very long with many pages)

- unread flags show up right on the index so a user won't forget to go back and read the posts he hasn't yet finished (while bookmarks are accessible only in the ucp and can be easily forgotten).

As I think about this, it seems clear that this is useful. The reason I was unsure before was because I mistakenly thought that the bookmark feature bookmarked a specific post rather than a full topic (it would be a harder call if you could bookmark a particular post). And by the way, it seems odd that there is not a bookmark feature for individual posts...if and when I move to phpbb3 with my live boards I may do a mod for that if someone hasn't already done so.
net83it

Post by net83it »

asinshesq wrote:I don't think of that as a phpb3 bug - I think of it as a 'feature' ;)
yes. it's a feature. it happens also on my baord, and i haven't installed "view of mark unread posts" mod nor théonaute's MOD
ChriZathens
Name: Chris

Post by ChriZathens »

asinshesq wrote:I wasn't sure whether people would really need this mod. After all, phpbb3 has a separate mark post as important function. But I eventually decided it serves a somewhat different purpose.
You are kidding, right? This mod is a MUST have, especially in large boards. A simple link brings together all unreads and after you read a topic, you refresh the page and voila, again, only unreads appear.. When my board was in phpbb2, I had the similar mod for phpbb2.(Especially phpbb2's habbit to "loose" all unreads after logging out, was totally a nightmare). You cannot imagine how hard I find it to see all unread posts in my board, going from forum to forum...
In my opinion, this should become a standard feature in future versions of phpbb3. ;)

P.S. "mark post as important function" : Ehmm... what is this? :oops:
My mods in MODDB:
Add Homepage link in header - Change user activity post limit - Post number in viewtopic
If you need support click on the support tab there and post your question.
Do not PM me - chances of viewing my PMs are way thinner than viewing the support question in the customization DB...
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks!
ChriZathens wrote:P.S. "mark post as important function" : Ehmm... what is this? :oops:
That was me caught being wrong :mrgreen:
In a subsequent post I mentioned I had incorrectly thought phpbb3 allowed you to bookmark posts when in fact it only allows bookmarking of topics.
Tazmanian

Post by Tazmanian »

asinshesq wrote:Since I am not running a live phpbb3 board yet and don't really have a feel for how it works as a practical matter, I wasn't sure whether people would really need this mod. After all, phpbb3 has a separate bookmark topic function. But I eventually decided it serves a somewhat different purpose.
Offcourse this mod is a really need. It's the mod that I use the most of all my mods.
And mostly not for marking read post as unread, but just to check the new posts.
Ok, you can use the standard feature of phpbb but you're mod is far more easy to use.

I delete the 'View new posts' standard link and replaced it by your MOD. Now I only see the posts that are unread for me, and not the one that are new since the last time I visited my board. And the topics disappear form the search page when I visited that topic.

So this MOD is absolutely the best MOD i have on my board :D
It should be even a standard feature in phpbb !!!!
Octopus

Post by Octopus »

Hello,
have a little problem with this beatiful mod in Version 1.0.5.
I´am running a 3.0.3-Version of phpbb and had the version 1.0.4. of this mod installed - it worked fine for me. I updated the mod to 1.0.5 with the "Changed File"-part of the modx-file and now i have the following problem:

After reading all unreaded topics i still get the link "unread topics" on top of the board - and not "you don´t have any unread topics" When i follow the link, no unread topic is found!

When I use the link "mark all topics as read" I get my "no unread topics"-link back, but only manualy...

Any Idea about that?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Octopus wrote:I updated the mod to 1.0.5 with the "Changed File"-part of the modx-file and now i have the following problem:

After reading all unreaded topics i still get the link "unread topics" on top of the board - and not "you don´t have any unread topics" When i follow the link, no unread topic is found!

When I use the link "mark all topics as read" I get my "no unread topics"-link back, but only manualy...

Any Idea about that?
I think you are right...must have missed something in 1.0.5. I'll try to lok into this in the next day or so and get back to you with a fix.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

asinshesq wrote:
Octopus wrote:I updated the mod to 1.0.5 with the "Changed File"-part of the modx-file and now i have the following problem:

Any Idea about that?
I think you are right...must have missed something in 1.0.5. I'll try to lok into this in the next day or so and get back to you with a fix.
Ok, I seem to have messed up on the new code that checks for unread global announcements (I probably copied my fix wrong or something). Until I have time to really work this through, here's a temporary fix:

Code: Select all

OPEN
includes/functions_view_or_mark_unread_posts.php

FIND
	global $db, $user;

BEFORE, ADD
	return false;
Let me know if that works as a temporary fix.

[edit: I changed this a bit from my original post so that the redirection happens at the beginning of the function so you don't waste any queries checking for globals that the mod no longer is really going to use]
Last edited by asinshesq on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Octopus

Post by Octopus »

asinshesq wrote:
Ok, I seem to have messed up on the new code that checks for unread global announcements (I probably copied my fix wrong or something). Until I have time to really work this through, here's a temporary fix:

Code: Select all

OPEN
includes/functions_view_or_mark_unread_posts.php

FIND
		// if we get here, the user has at least one unread global announcement
		return true;

REPLACE WITH
		// if we get here, the user has at least one unread global announcement
		// return true;
Let me know if that works as a temporary fix.
After a short test: seems to be fixed!!

Thank you very much!
MartectX

Post by MartectX »

Well, while we are at singing praise to this MOD, I'll chime in and say: This was one of the very few MODs without which I would not have done a conversion from 2 to 3. :geek:
asinshesq wrote:- unread flags show up right on the index so a user won't forget to go back and read the posts he hasn't yet finished (while bookmarks are accessible only in the ucp and can be easily forgotten).
To me that's the greatest + for marking unread vs. bookmarking!

Return to “[3.0.x] MOD Database Releases”