[2.0.20] Topic Description

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
69%
Very Good
14%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
10%

Total votes: 49

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.20] Topic Description

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Topic Description
Author: Swizec
MOD Description: Gives you the ability to post descriptions of your topics that are then shown under the topic title. The description also
shows in the search results and under the topic title in the topic itself.

-advanced permissioning
You can allow only moderators to add descriptions or you can prevent specific groups or users from using them, users
who are prevented from making the decsriptions can also be prevented form seeing them. Specific descriptions can be made
so that only moderators see them (the user giving the description can set this). On top of that you can deny guests from
using this feature. The topic tooltips have the same permission setting.

-tooltips
As mentioned, there are many permission settings here, on top of that in the ACP you can set for the displayed posts to be
fully parsed or not, which can also be set for specific users by the users themselves or by the admin. Each user can turn off
the tooltips if they don't want to be bothered by them.
Through a simple configuration file tooltips are completely configurable from v1.14.0.

-special
Descriptions can have a limited display length meaning they get cropped to the correct length. You can also set it so that
the descriptions are changed into a link to the topic starter's profile or you can set for that to happen just for empty descriptions.

-parsing
As of version 1.12.0 descriptions can have parsed BBCode, HTML and smileys according to ACP settings.
Versions above 1.13.0 allow you to disable certain BBCodes so they are not displayed at all or just have the tags show. Also post
previews in tooltips can be limited to a certain length.
NEW in v1.15.0 is description postparsing, which can greatly lighten the load on your server and improve the user experience a lot

-candy
v1.13.0 introduced the "You have xx characters left" JS counter that is displayed under the description box as soon as you start typing.
v1.14.0 introduced configurable tooltips, meaning you can have different looking tooltips for every template you are running
v1.15.0 introduced description postparsing, which enables users to view the descriptions in full, without lenght and bbcode restrictions (ajaxed)
v1.15.1 introduces the same for tooltips

-compliancy
Fixes for compliancy with the split topics and the log actions MOD are included in the contrib folder

-updates
v1.2.7 - this version is still in the package for those wanting simplicity
v1.13.1 - a semi working update script from v1.2.7 to v1.13.1 is available within the package
v1.14.x - an update script is available for v1.13.1 -> v1.14.x
v1.15.x - an update script is available for 1.14.9 -> 1.15.x

Using EM to install this MOD is strongly suggested.

MOD Version: 1.15.2 (Updated 05/24/06)

Download File: topic_desc_1.15.2b.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 57446 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
ycl6

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD will add the functionality of having topic description when starting new threads.
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I just hope many of you find use for this, and none find problems with it :D

edit: demo available here
Last edited by Swizec on Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
D¡cky
Former Team Member
Name: Richard Foote

Post by D¡cky »

A description of this MOD and how it differs from the other Topic Description MOD would be nice.
Have you hugged someone today?
tamcavboy3

Post by tamcavboy3 »

$topic_title = ( count($orig_word) ) preg_replace($orig_word, $replacement_word, $topic_rowset[$i]['topic_title']) $topic_rowset[$i]['topic_title'];

i couldn't find that line ?

i do found this though

$topic_title = ( count($orig_word) ) ? preg_replace($orig_word, $replacement_word, $topic_rowset[$i]['topic_title']) : $topic_rowset[$i]['topic_title'];
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

the difference between this and the other description mod is that this one has some more functionality, for isntance,
it can be turned off or on, you can make it so only mods see your description and the admin can make it so only mods can create descriptions
and it's for the newest version of phpbb

tamcavboy: I don't know why this hapepnede to you, but that line is correct in my file (you were missing a '?') I'll download and see if theres a problem...

edit: I checked and everything is fine, have no idea how you lost that question mark there...
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

As always with these cosmetic MOD changes, it would be nice to see a demo board so that we can take a peek and decide whether we like it enough to install it...

:lol:
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I don't really see whats so comestic about a little line of text udner the topic subject and an extra input thingy in the posting

anyways, at the moment I can't get a demo anywhere, sry
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

The fact that you are including new text under the topics is why I would consider this a cosmetic change. What else would it be? I'm open for alternate suggestions though???

Hopefully someone who has installed this will provide a link to their board so we can see what it looks like. You haven't installed this on your board???

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

my board is really messed up from all the other mods, and one fo them (don't know which exactly) magicaly added the descriptions *shrugs*

I'd personally think of it more as an add-on, since you're adding new functins to the board...
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Ok, I can accept that. I would consider add-ons to be things like Chat rooms, Attachments, Radios, Galleries, Arcades, etc...

Unless I am mistaken, the only thing different with this MOD is that it displays text where it wasn't being displayed previously. Other than that, it doesn't have any new functionality. That's why I would consider it more of a cosmetic change than an add-on. Since I haven't seen the MOD in action, I don't know if my assumptions are totally off or what. That's why I'm hoping that someone will be nice enough to provide a link to their board after they install this...

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

it is new functionality,
what you said (atleast how I understand it) is static text, this mod gives you two topic subjects, in a way, you get like 255char's to explain what you want in more detailt han just a subject, or you can pass information you want just mods to see if you use the option of only them viewing the description...

here a demo that I will take down in 5hours, have fun with it

edit:
admin user is:
u: administrator
p: admin
tamcavboy3

Post by tamcavboy3 »

there are actually 2 lines of

'L_POST_SUBJECT' => $lang['Post_subject'],

which one do we add the code in?
tamcavboy3

Post by tamcavboy3 »

wrong message
Last edited by tamcavboy3 on Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gr33n

Post by gr33n »

good work. Tried it out.
Something TODO:
topic description on egosearch and other searches.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”