Have to login 3,4,5 times before accepted.

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
richardr

Have to login 3,4,5 times before accepted.

Post by richardr »

Can somebody please help me. Very frustrated.

Not only on my own phpBB2 board, but also on this one, I have to login numerous times before I am allowed to do anything.

The first time I log in, it puts my name on the bottom of the board, among users online, but at the top it still says Log In and not Log Out [richardr] like it should.

Then when I try to create a post, it asks me to login, 2 or 3 or 4 times before I am actually allowed to post anything.

I have cleared my cookies and done everything that is usually suggested in this situation, all to no avail.

From my searching I see that I am not the only person this is happening to.

If it is not fixed soon, I will have to close down my site.

http://www.compurees.net/phpBB2/
jowigo

Post by jowigo »

In the admin panel go to configuration, then to cookie settings. Change the domain name or whatever it is to .yoursite.com, notice the leading '.'
richardr

Post by richardr »

Tried that, no change. Even on this board I had to log in 4 times to leave this message. :(
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

that is absolutely the settings on your computer and not phpbb.

log out, clear cookies, clear cache/temp internet files, close browser, open back up and try again.

check your security settings in your browser,

use a different browser.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Loams

Post by Loams »

Hi there

We are having a similar problem at this forum. It is also only South Africans having the problem.

We have also discussed it here
Loams

Post by Loams »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: that is absolutely the settings on your computer and not phpbb.

log out, clear cookies, clear cache/temp internet files, close browser, open back up and try again.

check your security settings in your browser,

use a different browser.

robert

Hi Robert

We have done all of the above on our forum. Again, it's only the South Africans having a problem. I read somewhere on this forum on another topic about someone and South Africans having these issues.

It just suddenly started, and it worked the one day and the next it didn't. Nothing on my pc changed at all

*EDIT* It's also discussed on your forum over here
richardr

Post by richardr »

Ok, so can anybody figure out why us South Africans are having so many problems with phpBB2.

I love this BB software, it has always worked perfectly for me before.

Must I now bin it because of some obscure problem obviously created by our monopolistic telephone system. :?: :( :evil:
Loams

Post by Loams »

I agree :evil: Maak my moerig!!!!

Our problem started roughly this weekend (Friday I think). When did yours start?
richardr

Post by richardr »

I have only noticed the problems this week, when somebody posted on my site. A person from the UK who had no problems.

My site is actually hosted in America, so it seems that anybody from the USA or UK have no problems.
Whereas I have problems on any phpBB2 site.

This is the second time I have typed this post because the first time when I submitted it, I was taken to the login prompt again.

So this time I will copy the post incase it happens again. :(
Once having tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return.
Leonardo Da vincci
Loams

Post by Loams »

I am on the same computer which gives me issues at home, but with a different ISP and I am not having this issue. It is not a local PC setting thing, it's an ISP or backbone related issue???
richardr

Post by richardr »

I have tried 4 different computers at the office, as well as 2 at home, and they all have the same problem.

I also have another site with the same host http://www.compurees.com This site uses a modified phpBB and gives no problems at all.

So I can only assume that the problem is some kind of incompatibillity between the later versions of phpBB2 and our isp/backbone/national provider.

I believe the only way this can be resolved, is if the boffins at phpBB decide to dig into this, and do some serious experimenting.
I doubt this is likely to happen, as it could be a time consuming excercise.
Once having tasted flight you will walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return.
Leonardo Da vincci
Loams

Post by Loams »

It will be difficult because they cannot replicate the problem on their side, but it is a problem, probably caused by something in SA, but a problem with phpBB nonetheless. No other forum software gives me this issue. Do you know which MOD the other site is using?

Maybe it also depends on where the site is hosted?
gasteropod

Post by gasteropod »

I suspect the problem is that you are going through some sort of proxying system so your IP address appears different every time. Try going to a page like http://whatismyip.com/ and re-loading it to see if your address changes. If it does then this is the problem.

Everytime your IP address changes, phpBB starts another session which requires re-authentication.

You can work around this by using the Log me on automatically each visit button. This way you will be logged in each time your address changes automatically, although all posts seem to get marked as read when this happens. This is only an option on your own local PC where you feel safe about having auto login.
Use the Support Request Template when asking for help.
Loams

Post by Loams »

gasteropod wrote: although all posts seem to get marked as read when this happens

That is exactly the issue with that. I rely on the posts unread function so this doesn't really help. Some of our members are also reporting that the log on automatically function is not available either.

What is strange though is that it's a recent problem, all of a sudden and it is only affecting South African users
gasteropod

Post by gasteropod »

Loams wrote: What is strange though is that it's a recent problem, all of a sudden and it is only affecting South African users

I suspect the South African ISP's have implemented a proxying system resulting in your address changing each request as is done by AOL.
Last edited by gasteropod on Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Use the Support Request Template when asking for help.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”