phpBB 2.2 is no more ... meet Olympus

Read me first before posting anywhere!
Subscribe to the feed, available in Image Atom or Image RSS format.
Get Involved
psoTFX
Former Team Member

phpBB 2.2 is no more ... meet Olympus

Post by psoTFX »

Did that cause you to miss a heart beat? :) Good, it did its job then. So what's this all about? Well the next release will not be version 2.2. Instead it's taking the codename "Olympus" and will, upon release have the version number 3.0.0. Each new release, at least each new minor revision update will take a codename.

Why are we renumbering? Well I'm sure some will say it's a ploy to try and "compete" with other boards. Many of which have upped their version numbers to stay "competitive". However this is not the core reason for our decision.

We use the kernel numbering scheme. The methodology of that requires the major number to change when backward compatibility is broken. That's the case with the new release. Not one style will work "as is", practically no Mods will function. Even the language file contents and structure are completely different. This warrants, in our opinion cause to increment the major number. NB: An upgrade script will obviously be provided (and is currently in beta test) enabling you to upgrade your existing 2.x database to 3.0.0.

It also reduces concern amongst our support teams coping with people noting issues with "phpBB2". A major version increment differentiates clearly between 2.x and this new release.

So to reiterate very clearly, the next major release of phpBB, now 3.0.0 "Olympus" is still en-route. We are very unlikely to hit the initial window for the beta release. I would anticipate instead a late-Feb/early-March release. The final feature list is complete and work progresses on implementing as much of this as possible. Such items include (but are not limited to):

Warning system
Completion of report system
Completion of "new" module system and updating of ACP/UCP/MCP modules
Styling
Permissions

and a number of other minor and more significant items. Of these the ACP poses the biggest component.

I can confirm that "Olympus" will feature an entirely new style produced by Tom "subblue" Bebbard, designer of subSilver. This new style will not ship with the beta, it will not ship with the release candidates. It will only ship with 3.x. This is to prevent the same situation occuring with the new style as happened with 2.x ... designers copying the style for other boards, diluting the "wow factor" upon phpBB 2's release. Such boards can go find themselves a top flight designer if they so wish. I will however say I think you'll like the new style :)

We are also considering continuing development of the 2.x line (codename yet to be decided :)). We understand that some people will not upgrade to 3.x, they like the reduced complexity and lower feature count of 2.x ... it does "what they want" so to speak. The 2.x line would see us continue bug fixing along with the introduction, where appropriate, of elements coded for the 3.x line. Such elements could see speed and security enhancements being introduced. While retaining compatibility with the majority of Mods and styles. I say again this is not a "for sure" but it is a probability.

Keep an eye on the announcements forum (or sign up to our mailing list) for further information on phpBB 3.0.0 "Olympus".

Return to “Announcements”