[23/12/06] Tabulated survey at topic head

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
73%
Very Good
10%
Good
8%
Fair
3%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 40

asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Chance wrote: ...What about having a scrolling DIV or even a multiple type select box where the survey author could pre-determine how many names are shown by default before having to scroll (i.e. it might only show 5 or 10 users and you could then scroll within that box to see the rest). This would keep the list down to a set amount of space to list them in....

Great idea, thanks. I'll think about how to make this look best and still comply with the KISS principle (for you youngsters who can't remember back to the Clinton years, that means 'keep it simple stupid').
helluvaguy

Post by helluvaguy »

I think it would be totally sufficient if you offer your first mentioned choice: Don't show, Show in column, show in row.

But If you are aiming for somthing picture perfect, than you should take your third proposal, but instead of using fixed numbers, let the survey designer decide where the numbers should be.

If I think about large usergroups, I mainly think of the space the survey will take up on the thread. If I have a group of 50, and I decide to show them in a column, it would be quite some rows down, a user has to scroll if he wants to read the post, so I made the proposal for a single row. The main aspect I use to show the nonresponders, is to "build up some public pressure" for those to take the survey.
asinshesq

new version with more features...

Post by asinshesq »

OK, I have now done a new version that incorporates all the features discussed in this thread and a few more. Here's the chagne log for versions beyond 1.0.6 (1.0.6 is the validated version you can get from the first post in this topic):

Code: Select all

##   2005-5-07	- Version 1.0.9
##		  added options to show nonresponders in a centered or left justified column or a centered or left justified comma separated list
##
##		  added option to specify (in pixels) a maximum height for the survey display box in viewtopic; if the survey is taller than that, it will
##		  automatically insert scroll bars.  Note that IE does not currently support the 'max-height' style element and for that reason if you specify
##		  a height that in fact is taller than the survey box needs, a survey box with some blank space will be seen (for example,
##		  if you specify the survey box cannot be more than 1000 pixels and the survey in fact is only 500 pixels, the box will take up 500
##		  pixels in firefox or mozilla but will show the enire 100 pixels with empty lines at the bottom when seen in IE.  For this reason, it's
##		  best to specify max heights that are smaller than the size the survey box takes up so that there never is any skipped lines.
##
##   2005-4-26	- Version 1.0.8
##		  Fixed problem that reulted in design survey form not being fully displayed in preview if there is not survey caption filled in.
##
##		  Changed language text describing sort options to be more self-explanatory		  
##
##   2005-4-25	- Version 1.0.7
##		  added option for survey designer to choose for answers to get single, double or triple spaced;
##
##		  added code so that topics with surveys in them get marked as '[ Survey ]' in viewforum (just like Polls get marked
##		  '[ Polls ]');
##
##		  Moved some text that appeared in a template to lang_eng so that people who run their board with languages other than
##		  English will be able to translate the text without going into that template;
##
##		  Changed the survey explanation text so that it correctly says you can ask up to eight questions;
##
##		  Added test in survey.php that checks to see if user has already got a response in a given survey
##		  (in order to assure that a user doesn't inadvertently submit his survey answers twice).
If you want the latest (unvalidated) version, you can download it here:
[edit: link removed since version 1.0.9 is now available by clicking the link in the first post of this topic, but see link later in this post for version 1.0.10]

You will find in that download not only a clean version 1.0.9 but also upgrade scripts if you want to upgrade from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7 or 1.0.7 to 1.0.8 or 1.0.8 to 1.0.9.

I plan to wait about a week before submitting this for validation in case people have any more sugggestions. In the meantime, feel free to take this for a test run (it's running on my board with no problems).

Edit on June 30: I submitted version 1.0.10 for validation a few days ago but I've been running it for quite a while and it is perfectly stable. Here it is:
http://asinshesq.dynalias.com/tabulated ... 1-0-10.zip

(The contrib folder in the zip file has an upgrade script so that you can easily upgrade to the latest version and it also has a user manual for how to use the mod.)

The new version adds a few features (most notably the ability of an admin to fill in the survey for another user). Here's the changelog:

##   2005-6-13	- Version 1.0.10
##		  changed posting.php so that if a survey designer leaves out the survey caption but completes one or more questions,
##		  the survey will get stored
##
##		  added flexibility to include a subsilver fill-in survey or change survey answer button next to the reply button
##		  at the bottom of viewtopic so that it is less likely that users will try to answer the survey question by hitting 'reply'
##		  (leave out the changes to viewtopic_body.tpl that add switch_include_fill_in_button if you don't want these buttons)
##
##		  added a new button in the survey results block that appears on the top of viewtopic for any ADMIN that allows the ADMIN
##		  to fill in the survey for any other user who can't figure it out; if you don't want this change, leave out the 
##		  lines in survey_result_viewtopic.tpl that read:
##
##		  <!-- BEGIN switch_include_fill_out_for_other_user_button --> 
##		    <tr>
##			<td align="center">{S_HIDDEN_FIELDS}<input type="submit" name="fill_out_for_other_user" value="{L_FILL_OUT_FOR_OTHER_USER}" class="mainoption" /></td>
##		    </tr>
##		  <!-- END switch_include_fill_out_for_other_user_button -->
##
##		  Changed text of $lang['If_selections'] in language/lang_english/lang_main.php to clarify that survey designer can start a drop down menu list of
##		  selections with a semicolon in order for the users to have the option not to answer anything to a drop down menu question; made small 
##		  changer in $lang['Cap_response'].
Last edited by asinshesq on Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

I installed 1.0.9 today and it seems to work as advertised. Thank you very much.

I also have your Save Posts as Drafts MOD. I found the notes in the installation instructions but I still have questions. First this:

## Author Notes:	1. If you use my save posts as drafts mod, you need to make the following 
##			additional changes in order to make this mod work on drafts (there is also
##			one find and change that :
Was there more? Was it important?

I can't seem to make the Save Posts as Drafts code fit my includes/functions_post.php
Would you be willing to look at it and see if you can find a way to fit it in?
Right now the Save Posts as Drafts doesn't work at all. The drafts just vaporize. Regular posts and surveys too.

Thanks for your help.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

warnmar10 wrote: ...I also have your Save Posts as Drafts MOD. I found the notes in the installation instructions but I still have questions. First this:

## Author Notes:	1. If you use my save posts as drafts mod, you need to make the following 
##			additional changes in order to make this mod work on drafts (there is also
##			one find and change that :
Was there more? Was it important?...

Sorry for the confsion...that was a reference to the change referred to at the end of (1) of author's notes (the part that reads 'In addition, ..."). I was going to mention that change up there and then instead decided to add text lower on and I forgot to remove the 'there is also one find and change' phrase. So, if you got both changes you should be all set (when I install both mods on a clean board they both work fine).
warnmar10 wrote: ...I can't seem to make the Save Posts as Drafts code fit my includes/functions_post.php
Would you be willing to look at it and see if you can find a way to fit it in?
Right now the Save Posts as Drafts doesn't work at all. The drafts just vaporize. Regular posts and surveys too.

Thanks for your help.

I'm not following you...are you saying that you were unable to do what the save posts as drafts mod says to do because you couldn't find the lines the mod tells you to find in functions_post.php because of some other mods you have? Did you already have save posts as drafts installed before installing this mod? Or are you stuck installing save posts as drafts in the first place because you can't find some lines? Or maybe you just mean that you can't find the lines the authors notes in this mod tell you to change??

If so, pm your functions_post.php file and I'll see if I can figure out what's going on.
warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Save post as draft was working before I added tabulated survey. Yes I'm sure it is a conflict with other mods. This is the forum installation I learned on and it shows.

I'm not complaining btw, but I would like to figure it out if I can.

I sent you the code in PM. Thanks.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

warnmar10 wrote: Save post as draft was working before I added tabulated survey. Yes I'm sure it is a conflict with other mods. This is the forum installation I learned on and it shows.

The answer is that you are running an old version of save drafts as posts (looks like version 113 or 114 or 115). Take a look at what version you have installed and then upgarde to the current version and you will then be able to find those lines.

(Once you figure out which version you are actually running, you can find where in the save drafts as posts thread that version came into being and by reading the posts after that time you will be able to upgrade to the current version. Let me know if you have trouble doing this...I have the older versions so if you need them I can email them to you and you can run a comparison program to see where the changes are.)
asinshesq

new clone mod helps a lot with this one...

Post by asinshesq »

I got annoyed with the fact that I need to start from scratch each time I want to post a survey even if the new survey is almost identical to one I have done before. So I wrote a mod that clones old posts (including polls and surveys). That really helps...now I have a number of 'templates' (survey posts in the form I often use) and I can simply clone those into new topics.

If you are interested in trying out that mod to see if it helps with this one, go here:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=291393
warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

asinshesq wrote:
warnmar10 wrote:Save post as draft was working before I added tabulated survey. Yes I'm sure it is a conflict with other mods. This is the forum installation I learned on and it shows.

The answer is that you are running an old version of save drafts as posts (looks like version 113 or 114 or 115). Take a look at what version you have installed and then upgarde to the current version and you will then be able to find those lines.

(Once you figure out which version you are actually running, you can find where in the save drafts as posts thread that version came into being and by reading the posts after that time you will be able to upgrade to the current version. Let me know if you have trouble doing this...I have the older versions so if you need them I can email them to you and you can run a comparison program to see where the changes are.)

That's it thank you. I'm on 115. The install files from here http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=223319 include 116 to 117 and 117 to 117+. Can you help me get from 115 to 116 please?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

warnmar10 wrote: ...That's it thank you. I'm on 115. The install files from here http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=223319 include 116 to 117 and 117 to 117+. Can you help me get from 115 to 116 please?

OK, I just did an upgrade mod that will take you from save posts as drafts 1.0.15 to 1.0.16 and from there you can use the upgrade mod you already have to take you from 1.0.16 to 1.0.17c. I pm'd you that upgrade mod. Let me know how it goes.
warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
maryrk

Post by maryrk »

We just installed this mod and are loving it so far. I'm having trouble with one thing, though. When I set the column width of the username to -1, sometimes names show up anyway. Any ideas?
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

maryrk wrote: We just installed this mod and are loving it so far. I'm having trouble with one thing, though. When I set the column width of the username to -1, sometimes names show up anyway. Any ideas?

You are saying that is works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes??? That's really strange. Never seen that on my board. Any pattern to when it doesn't work? And when it doesn't work, if you edit teh survey, does is stillsay '-1' in the username column width? (I'm just wondering if for some oddball reason the -1 didn't take when you first posted the survey).
ycl6

Post by ycl6 »

MOD Updated to version 1.0.9
See first post for Download Link
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks, Mac. Did you draw the short straw and get stuck validating all my mods ;)

The change log for this version is included in my post from May 8th above.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”