Anti-Spam Thread!

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

Dog Cow wrote: No. Since typically to probe/scan other people's computer one needs to request formal permission.

Exactly the permission granted by agreeing to those terms.
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

Since everybody seems to agree on the wording, I'm going to publish the next version now.
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

0.1.1 is published, with a slightly different wording (to match the Registration Agreement language):
You agree not to use any automated tools for registering and/or posting on this bulletin board.
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

Is http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/ down? Or is it just me?
geocator

Post by geocator »

spamper wrote: Is http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/ down? Or is it just me?

Nope, works fine for me, must be you :mrgreen:
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

Hmm... must've blocked me... funny.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

spamper, let me make this perfectly clear. This business with the script ends here. If you repost it or link to it in any way, your stay here will be very short.
🇺🇦 Made in Ukraine, exported to the USA 🇺🇸

Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

@ spamper: I moved your DEV topic from phpbb.com because I felt it can't be posted here due to good reasons, the main is that phpbb.com resources can't be abused with malicious MODs..

I PMed you previously in order to let you know you can't post it again in any form until our final decision, well.. patience it is a virtue I really have but you're hardly testing it. :evil:

check your PM.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
3Di
I've Been Banned!
Name: Marco

Post by 3Di »

spamper wrote:
geocator wrote:Possibly it was removed because the code causes forums to act in an illegal manner. DDos attacks are illegal regardless of the reason.

Probably that was also what the moderators assumed.

Well.. call me stupid, I don't see the difference.

Your Inbox is getting full i guess.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Buy me a coffee -> Image
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

3Di wrote: @ spamper: I moved your DEV topic from phpbb.com because I felt it can't be posted here due to good reasons, the main is that phpbb.com resources can't be abused with malicious MODs..

I PMed you previously in order to let you know you can't post it again in any form until our final decision

Did you? I really hate doing this, but
3Di wrote: please stop posting your DEV topic, I moved it to the attention of our MOD Team, I'll let you know the news as soon as possible.

Not only does it not mention "in any form", it clearly states otherwise.

Edit: Am I the only one getting the impression that you all guys work for spammers?
olpa

Post by olpa »

Edit: Am I the only one getting the impression that you all guys work for spammers?

Probably you are the only one.

By the way, aggressive fighting (DDOS attacks) is:

* probably illegal, as it's said already,
* self-suicide for unexperienced fighters.
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

olpa wrote: probably illegal, as it's said already

I added a term to the Registration Agreement. By registering automatically the spammer grants permission to attack his server. I don't see how acting on a site owner's permission can be illegal.
olpa wrote: self-suicide for unexperienced fighters

I'm an unexperienced fighter. Please specify.
ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG »

spamper

The bad guys are very very powerful - not legal - but very very powerful.

In my line of work I have come up against them, so have others.

Try a google of "Castlecops".

They have a team called phishing take down - they report and get removed the sites that try to get bank account data from victims. Because of this they are a target of those bad guys. They are very lucky to have some very good friends.

Their front page shows how they are under a constant 1GB a SECOND attack.

If you 'offend' some of these people that is what you would get.

Sorry to say your mod as well as being illegal (and therefore nothing I would condone) would NOT work, any site using it would not stand a chance and the bandwidth cost would be astronomic. Thiers could have cost them $33k in a very hours.

Could YOU afford that.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing
James N

Post by James N »

TerryE wrote: [*]You cannot edit your profile until you have activated your account.

[*]The key publicity fields including website details can only be added after activation.

Both done by my antispam MOD (see my sig)
spamper
I've Been Banned!

Post by spamper »

ChrisRLG

I know. That's why I did my best not to post anything that could identify me. I also deliberately didn't post it on any of my sites (I have a few).

The idea is Power in Numbers. The bad guys can bring down a single site, but can they bring down 1000 sites? The beauty in this MOD (yes, I know, I'm too MODest :P) is about the distributed nature of the counter-strike.

As for the legal issue, neither of us is a lawyer, so we can't be really sure about that. I did my best to cover my butt (as well as yours) with the Registration Agreement clause.

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”