Ptirhiik MODs being released without validation

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Ptirhiik MODs being released without validation

Post by Nuttzy99 »

The number one goal of the MOD Team is to safely release MODs to the public. The Author named Ptirhiik currently has 13 very large MODs in the MOD Validation Queue. These will be quite time consuming to process, and we expect it would take until next month to get them all valdiated. Meanwhile the MOD Team would not be able to work on other projects. Also, some of these MODs have already been waiting in the Queue for over a month.

In the interest of making MODs available to the public, we are making a one-time exception for Ptirhiik's MODs. Ptirhiik works very hard and is a tremendous contributor to the community. For this we are grateful and are rewarding his efforts by simply making available his MODs currently in the queue. They are all fairly well battle tested already, we've seen enough of Ptirhiik's work to know he complies with standards, they are all very useful, and we trust that Ptirhiik would not deliberately do something malicious.

This is a special exception just one time, just for Ptrihiik. There is no other Author like him. We would like to validate his MODs, but we don't have an infinite amount of time either. We hope that in the future when we are not so backed up that we can properly validate his MODs. For now, the practical thing to do is to trust Ptirhiik and let people use his wonderful MODs. :D

-Nuttzy :cool:
Last edited by Nuttzy99 on Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpellingCow.com - Free spell check service for your forums or any web form!
No Support via PM please!
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

Fearless

Post by Fearless »

Not sure if I'm supposed to be able to reply here. Ptrihiik does quality coding and he knows his stuff so I think this exception is no problem ;) .

P.S: He came up with a calendar mod just as I was going to give up on MyCalendar so, I for one, am very grateful to him.
Nuttzy99
Former Team Member

Post by Nuttzy99 »

If it's not locked, you can post on it ;)

-Nuttzy :cool:
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Thanks to the mod team, as some mods are very difficult to validate, and I know they have put a lot of efforts in them :).

Be sure I will keep an eye on report to solve any issue that would appear. Most of the mods have now a good age and have passed well-followed beta stages, so I am confident there is no major issue left.

Some are quite difficult to install, especially on exotic template. Easymod usage is so highly recommanded, also the use first and only of subSilver template (not mentioning working on a test environnement, not live for the install :)). While the mod will be installed and run as intended, you will be able to adapt your other templates in a more comfortable way, having a comparaison running point with subSilver.
danb00

Post by danb00 »

wow!!

keep up the good work :)

why not get some of his mods in phpbb 2.2?

thats would be cool if you could!
morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix »

danb00 wrote: why not get some of his mods in phpbb 2.2?

some of the MOD's are already added to phpBB 2.2 (it's not exactly the same MOD's but idea is the same) : Profile Control Panel for example, Sub-Forums, Topic where you've posted, etc.....
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

I don't really agree with this : although some functionalities looks like the same, they aren't : sub-forums can be splitted by categories, the descriptions and the names are automaticely translated to the user language, and the index can be packed or not, what can't do yet phpBB 2.2. Profile Control Panel manage the entire profile with customizable display (order and so), what phpBB 2.2 can't do yet neither. Not mentioning the ability to have only part of an image pack for a style and working with the main style for the missing icons with subtemplate, the ability to always deliver a text on screen even if it is not present in the language pack of the user with langs settings tool, and so.... phpBB 2.2 is tied with staying at a minimal functionalities to keep the best quickness (and does it really well :)). Mods, although you have to take care of this issue while writing them, are more free to reduce this quickness to the benefit of functionalities. Some mods btw increases it (extreme style ie, but also categories hierarchy).

I think this is the most difficult in writing a product, to choose between the functionalities and the limitations.
R45

Post by R45 »

While I understand the action taken by the MOD Team (and it is appreciated), but those using PostgreSQL should note there are a few bugs in some of his MODs specific to using PostgreSQL.
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

Feel free to report them on the dedicated topic, as they have been quite all tested with Postgress and passed.
morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix »

Ptirhiik - RPGnet-fr wrote: I don't really agree with this : although some functionalities looks like the same, they aren't : sub-forums can be splitted by categories, the descriptions and the names are automaticely translated to the user language, and the index can be packed or not, what can't do yet phpBB 2.2. Profile Control Panel manage the entire profile with customizable display (order and so), what phpBB 2.2 can't do yet neither. Not mentioning the ability to have only part of an image pack for a style and working with the main style for the missing icons with subtemplate, the ability to always deliver a text on screen even if it is not present in the language pack of the user with langs settings tool, and so.... phpBB 2.2 is tied with staying at a minimal functionalities to keep the best quickness (and does it really well :)). Mods, although you have to take care of this issue while writing them, are more free to reduce this quickness to the benefit of functionalities. Some mods btw increases it (extreme style ie, but also categories hierarchy).

Yes, i agree with that : but what i wanted to say is that some of your MOD's are based on some features of phpBB 2.2 (or vice-versa, i don't know). So in phpBB 2.2, we will find some parts of your MOD's :)
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:
drumstix42

Post by drumstix42 »

Very awesome job Ptirhiik. I for one love most of your MODs. They are very useful in phpBB, and can make a forum more user-optional and organized. Great job. Keep it coming ;)
Need a phpBB update or mod installed? PM me for any questions and pricing!
HostMonster.com (Unlimited Space, Unlimited Transfer, Unlimited Domains, $6.95/month )
Josh Windu

Post by Josh Windu »

Ptirhiik would have to be my favorite mod author, he makes HUGE mods and gives awsome support. I think that all his mods deserve to be in the MODDB as they are.

Well done Ptirhiik 8)
Nitrotech - Alpha stage... Your own fully customisable forum! and site!
TimeVirus

Post by TimeVirus »

Having just installed one of Ptirhiik's mods I noticed a handy convention that he uses.

He has you make a comment on the top of any php page that you've altered where its says what mod is installed on that page. After trying to sort out dozens of different mods installed (not understanding php much at all), I've come to realize the value of such a simple step during troubleshooting later.

I'd like to suggest it be part of mod template requirements, not sure where that thread would be so I'll mention it here. :)
I'm probably wrong again...
RyanThaDude29

Post by RyanThaDude29 »

TimeVirus wrote: Having just installed one of Ptirhiik's mods I noticed a handy convention that he uses.

He has you make a comment on the top of any php page that you've altered where its says what mod is installed on that page. After trying to sort out dozens of different mods installed (not understanding php much at all), I've come to realize the value of such a simple step during troubleshooting later.

I'd like to suggest it be part of mod template requirements, not sure where that thread would be so I'll mention it here. :)
I actually use it with most every MOD I install. Very nice to see any changes when things go wrong, but can also make the filesize much bigger with alot of muliple MODs.
Please, no PM or email requesting support. They will go unanswered.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”