Restricting admin access to a forum (plus a few more Qs)

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
MajorFreak

Restricting admin access to a forum (plus a few more Qs)

Post by MajorFreak »

hello. This is sort of a wierd request for info, and i'll tell you what i want to do straight up:

1. A member of a forum has been granted administration powers because of outstanding forum maintenance talents. (ie. semi-controllable spam monster)
2. That member is part of a gaming squad who isn't in the make-believe "command structure" in the context of an internet multiplayer game.
3. There is an UBERprivate forum that is supposed to be offlimits to all but "command structure" players in said squad.
4. I cannot find any way VIA PHPBB2 CODING to prevent an administrator level member of the forum from entering said forum.
5. It's assumed, as a matter of course, that member won't pry where he's "not supposed to go"
6. It would be nice though to find out you folks have a solution that will remove the temptation to pry, and the comfort to know a private forum is sacrosanct.

BTW, i am that spam-monster. *g* (who found out with the upgrade to his squad's phpBB he's been granted superpowers. muahha)

Ahem

anyways, i have a few other questions as a n00b to this phpBB2 thingie.

a.) How do i set default "ADMIN--->USER ADMIN--->MANAGEMENT--->PREFERENCES" ?? (the silly forum wants to send auto-emails to people on replies)

b.) Is 100*100 / 10kbyte limit on avatars going to adversely affect bandwidth as compared to the default of 80*80 / 6400?? (i'm hoping the increase is negligible; though that's not taking outsourced urls into account is it?)

c.) The damned forum backup upon upgrade had all it's timestamps CORRUPTED!! argh!! Is there anyway to fix the silly "1969" datestamps?

d.) Is is possible to enter the Admin section and edit the style colour codes only and expect the colour to change?

e.) What is everyones' opinions on polls?
Kail
Former Team Member

Re: Restricting admin access to a forum (plus a few more Qs)

Post by Kail »

MajorFreak wrote: hello. This is sort of a wierd request for info, and i'll tell you what i want to do straight up:

1. A member of a forum has been granted administration powers because of outstanding forum maintenance talents. (ie. semi-controllable spam monster)
2. That member is part of a gaming squad who isn't in the make-believe "command structure" in the context of an internet multiplayer game.
3. There is an UBERprivate forum that is supposed to be offlimits to all but "command structure" players in said squad.
4. I cannot find any way VIA PHPBB2 CODING to prevent an administrator level member of the forum from entering said forum.
5. It's assumed, as a matter of course, that member won't pry where he's "not supposed to go"
6. It would be nice though to find out you folks have a solution that will remove the temptation to pry, and the comfort to know a private forum is sacrosanct.

BTW, i am that spam-monster. *g* (who found out with the upgrade to his squad's phpBB he's been granted superpowers. muahha)

Make him a moderator instead. Why does he need admin rights if his task is to remove spam posts?
An administrator has complete and unlimited access rights.
MajorFreak wrote: .........
Ahem

anyways, i have a few other questions as a n00b to this phpBB2 thingie.

a.) How do i set default "ADMIN--->USER ADMIN--->MANAGEMENT--->PREFERENCES" ?? (the silly forum wants to send auto-emails to people on replies)

This is impossible at the moment. However there are other solutions, make a search and see what shows up.

MajorFreak wrote: b.) Is 100*100 / 10kbyte limit on avatars going to adversely affect bandwidth as compared to the default of 80*80 / 6400?? (i'm hoping the increase is negligible; though that's not taking outsourced urls into account is it?)

Depends on the amount of traffic. The extra bandwidth should be easy to calculate.
MajorFreak wrote: c.) The damned forum backup upon upgrade had all it's timestamps CORRUPTED!! argh!! Is there anyway to fix the silly "1969" datestamps?

Were all timestamps corrupted or just the board startdate timestamp corrupted?

Make a search for this as well, it has been discussed extensively in the past.
MajorFreak wrote: d.) Is is possible to enter the Admin section and edit the style colour codes only and expect the colour to change?

Yes, as long as the template designer hasn't removed the style color code from overall_header.tpl. The default template (subSilver) allows you edit the colors.
MajorFreak wrote: e.) What is everyones' opinions on polls?

They're great! Just make sure you run phpBB 2.0.1 since there's a nasty poll bug in phpBB 2.0.0.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
My Complete phpBB Template Design Guide
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
Image phpbb-se.com - phpBB på svenska!
MadCat

Post by MadCat »

I've got the backup file on my computer from before the upgrade with all the post time/date info, so if we have to I can rebuild it manually through phpMyAdmin. It would be nice though if there was a way to recover it without having to manually enter it, since we have 3000 some posts.
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

It seems your database upgrade failed somehow and corrupted the timestamps. Restore the old tables and try to upgrade again.

Jakob Persson - Style Designer, Freelance Web Designer, Usability Consultant and Developer | BLOG | PORTFOLIO
Creator of Chronicles, SpacePilot3K (updated!), Solaris, Cobalt 2.0 and JustFooty.
MadCat

Post by MadCat »

We managed to repair the table without having to restore and retry.

A good friend wipped up a sweet php script that used the posts portion of the original backup file, converted the date/time structure on the fly, and inserted it into the new db.
MajorFreak

Post by MajorFreak »

hi thanks for your help! I've got another question our group has turned up:
  • The silly thread wraps text to a 850pixel ruler instead of wrapping to window...which is really annoying because alot of us don't like having large browser windows open on the desktop.
Is there some option that allows "wrap to window"?
Kail
Former Team Member

Post by Kail »

Which template are you using? The original subSilver template should wrap to windows less than 850 pixels wide.
I suggest you try and resize the top-left logo and move the navigation links at the top-right to somewhere else. Those are the elements that "steal" horizontal space.

MajorFreak

Post by MajorFreak »

http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=850
linkage (topic number is coincidence only)

*plays twilight zone theme song*

oh..i have one more problem, and that's Avatar stuff. We seem to be able to link to outside urls no problem, but the other options (even a stocked gallery) give nothing...I'm pretty sure MadCat needs to loosen the permissions on the avatar directory in the ftp, right?
what happens when i try to upload from my hard drive wrote: Warning: Unable to create './images/avatars/1841b2813cf8e3e8d76a6.gif': Permission denied in /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/usercp_avatar.php on line 218

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/usercp_avatar.php:218) in /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 449

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/usercp_avatar.php:218) in /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 450

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/usercp_avatar.php:218) in /usr/local/apache/umec/htdocs/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 451
:( And when i try the url linkage or url upload options i get a false "accepted" message...but my avatar is a red X
MadCat

Post by MadCat »

Got the avatars fixed, just had to chmod the upload folder to allow write access.

I don't think the issue with the wrapping is a window wrap, she was having trouble wrapping to a full screen. Whenever you window any website the wrapping will fail at some point. My guess is that it's an issue in her browser, as I've heard of no other problems with the full screen wrap.
MajorFreak

Post by MajorFreak »

nah. i've got the same nonfull screen problem too with the wrap. windows98SE & Internal Exploder 6
MadCat

Post by MadCat »

Solved it.

The "Jump To" box at the bottom of the forums was too big.

It's size is defined by the longest forum or catagory name currently on the boards. (and boy did we have a doozie, a 99 character catagory name)

I simply renamed the long catagory to something quite a bit shorter and the wrap went back to normal.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”