BBCode hotkey reservation list

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
0racle

BBCode hotkey reservation list

Post by 0racle »

I'm sorry if this has been said a thousand times before, but the much vaunted phpBB search has not give me the answer I want, nor has the knowledge base, so here goes:

All hotkeys are taken (bar Alt-9 according to the keyword list, but it's so old I think even that has gone). So, do my 10+ codes need hotkeys? And also, if not, what about the $EMMB_keys array if my mods don't need hotkeys?

My mod is a simple one, but it adds many codes. I was surprised that some people liked it and installed it, and so when they asked that I add buttons for it I said sure, why not? So I've come here and read the KB article about bbcodes, installed the multibbcode mod and bbcode organiser on my test forums, but now it comes to actually modding my mod and there's no current information...
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

buttons need hotkeys, if you don't have buttons then no hotkeys are required.
Systems Engineering
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

All of the bbcodes are taken. If want a button and your bbcode does the same thing as one that has already been assigned, go ahead and use the same one.

So if I make a bbcode that makes text glow I would use alt-g because that is assigned to a bbcode that also makes text glow.
Eric
0racle

Post by 0racle »

And so if I have bbcodes that don't do what others do? (which I do). What do I specify as hotkeys then? Do I just pick ones that I would pick anyway? For example, I have made a [rainbow] tag, which I would use "r" for. So would I just use R anyway and warn anyone installing my mod that if they have the mod installed that uses R they should choose another letter/number?
wGEric
Former Team Member

Post by wGEric »

0racle wrote: And so if I have bbcodes that don't do what others do? (which I do). What do I specify as hotkeys then? Do I just pick ones that I would pick anyway? For example, I have made a [rainbow] tag, which I would use "r" for. So would I just use R anyway and warn anyone installing my mod that if they have the mod installed that uses R they should choose another letter/number?

I guess that is what we are going to have to do since all of the BBCodes are taken.
Eric
0racle

Post by 0racle »

Thanks for that. I guess in six months time when my mod finally makes it to the validation team they'll have to make some decisions, eh? :D
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

you're talking to the validation team now :?
Systems Engineering
0racle

Post by 0racle »

Well then you'll have to decide what to do then, wont you :) (This is assuming that you think about the problem and possibly come up with a different way before my mod arrives ;)).

Until then, I'm just assigning all my bbcodes to hotkeys I think are appropriate (and that are not phpBB default ones), and leaving it at that.
markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux »

smithy_dll wrote: you're talking to the validation team now :?

Hi, I'm in the Beta stage for a new HTML BBCode MOD.

I haven't added any buttons to posting(php/tpl) for the following reason:
a) This BBCode is restricted to Admins and/or Moderators.
b) Its syntax is pretty easy. ie. [html]text[/html].
c) The BBCode hotkey reservation list seems to be full.

However, Shof515 has requested me to add support for the Multiple BBCode MOD. :?

So, maybe it's a good idea, after all.

All I need to do is generate the BBCode Button ONLY if the current user has access to it. So far, so good. :)

Warning: I have never written a BBCode MOD before, so, I a couple of doubts, now...
smithy_dll wrote: buttons need hotkeys, if you don't have buttons then no hotkeys are required.

Does this means, a BBCode MOD can be approved if it does not use Buttons?
wGEric wrote: All of the bbcodes are taken. If want a button and your bbcode does the same thing as one that has already been assigned, go ahead and use the same one.

So if I make a bbcode that makes text glow I would use alt-g because that is assigned to a bbcode that also makes text glow.

If I add a BBCode button then I need a Hotkey, right? However, my MOD does not replace the functionality of any other MOD in the list. So, what should I do? Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)
EasyMOD Standards | MOD Template Actions | MODs in Development Rules
Useful information for MOD Authors | MOD Queue Stats | Search MODs
Write SQL/DDL portable to all SQL servers supported by phpBB!
Get EasyMOD 0.3.0! | Suport al phpBB en Català!
8)
smithy_dll
Former Team Member

Post by smithy_dll »

It can still be approved if it lacks a button, the following button system was implemented to clean up a mess we had with them back in the ~2.0.2 days

I honestly have no idea what can be done about sharing buttons etc... I guess you could check to see if the BBcode is still in the MOD DB and steal it's button if it's dissappeared off the face of the earth.
Systems Engineering
markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux »

smithy_dll wrote: It can still be approved if it lacks a button, the following button system was implemented to clean up a mess we had with them back in the ~2.0.2 days

ok, thanks. Good to know. :)
smithy_dll wrote: I honestly have no idea what can be done about sharing buttons etc... I guess you could check to see if the BBcode is still in the MOD DB and steal it's button if it's dissappeared off the face of the earth.

hmm... what about a MOD to allow admins to set their own Hotkeys?
8)
markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux »

smithy_dll wrote: I guess you could check to see if the BBcode is still in the MOD DB and steal it's button if it's dissappeared off the face of the earth.

It seems the Alt+H could be reused (indeed would be nice for the HTML BBCode). Alt+H is currently reserved to [pre-204] Shadow effects by Davidls (smithy_dll? 8O ). However, this one seems to be a legacy MOD.

Where or How can I request a Hoykey reservation?
8)
SlapShot434

Post by SlapShot434 »

wgEric, since you told me to use alt-g as my bbcode's hotkey, can the info on the reservation be changed?
PLEASE NOTE: I have left the coding community and no longer provide support for any coding I may have contributed to in the past. I apologize for the inconvenience and fully welcome anyone perfecting my code for the betterment of this community.
wGEric
Former Team Member

Post by wGEric »

This is a huge mess. I can't edit the article right now so I'll have to be making a topic. I'll probably just go through the current MOD Database and say which bbcodes have what hotkey. Then we will work from there.
Eric
markus_petrux
Former Team Member

Post by markus_petrux »

wGEric wrote: This is a huge mess. I can't edit the article right now so I'll have to be making a topic. I'll probably just go through the current MOD Database and say which bbcodes have what hotkey. Then we will work from there.

That would really nice. Thanks a lot, Eric. :)

As a side note, I've been thinking about something like a "BBCode HotKey Manager" thingy to let Admins manage their own Hotkeys.

However, there's a problem with the language entries (for bbcode help). They have the hotkey in its key. If it was something like a BBCode Id, assigned by the MOD Team, it would simplify the whole thing.

Not sure if I have explained the idea correctly. The thing is, it might be interesting to find a better approach to deal with hotkeys. It seems the same hotkey implementation remains in 2.1.
8)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”