[DISC] Ignore Users Function

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
GunnerX

[DISC] Ignore Users Function

Post by GunnerX »

Since I haven't heard anything about any work on this, I created one. I'm not sure how complete it is yet but it seems pretty much finished.

You can check it out here: http://www.gunnerx.net/phpBB21/

I am developing it for the other site I'm a webmaster of.

I have currently put an "Ignore" link up top. The graphic needs work. I'm not sure where the best place to put this in but I'm thinking somewhere in the profile area.

Let me know what you guys think and if any improvements need to be done.

EDIT: Other mods I installed in the site: club members get a 'Member' image below their name. The user being a member is set in the user admin panel as an option. Users can enter the type of vehicle they use and what they have done with it in their profile. This information is grabbed by another set of php files outside of phpBB. See www.torontoaccords.com and click on 'Members' at the bottom menu.

RELEASE VERSION 1.0.0

You can download the latest version at : http://www.gunnerx.net/mods/ignore_mod.zip

I have created an image to be added to the viewtopic.php so when it's clicked, it will add that poster to the ignore list. Here's the image:

Feel free to create more images and I'll add them to the package. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

ADDED (September 17, 2002)

New Version 1.1 (Same link for download)

This is the revamped version which shows persons you have ignored in the viewtopic and you can click on a link to view their message if you wish to in the original thread.

To do (not sure if required): Add link to message in topic review

I'm not sure if that's necessary though.

Post any problems encountered here.
Last edited by GunnerX on Wed Sep 18, 2002 1:50 am, edited 4 times in total.
nexialys

explain?!

Post by nexialys »

can you explain what this function do ?!
-=nexia=-

i'm not god, i'm a nexialist... god is perfect.. i try to make it weak.
GunnerX

Re: explain?!

Post by GunnerX »

nexialys wrote: can you explain what this function do ?!

If you add a user into your list, you will not see any posts from that user. This is useful if someone really really bothers you and you just want to avoid their mindless drivel.
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

bradleesmith wrote: I like it, works as advertised! Only problem I have with it is the ignore button is so out of the way. But the rest is great.

How does it affect performance? I take it you are blocking by poster ID. Does it block that post id when pulling the post_text?

I set up another table with columns, the user and the user their ignoring. In viewtopic.php, as the posts_text is generated it just checks to see if the current user has a poster in their list and just skips them. Not sure how much more this affects performance. Guess we'll have to see.

And also, users shouldn't be able to ignore moderators right?

Good thinking. Never thought about this one. I'll have to fix this part up. I'll have a package ready for download tomorrow for people to check out.
Superweirdash

Post by Superweirdash »

needs a way to search for usernames
-ParadoX-

Post by -ParadoX- »

I'm definatly interested in getting a copy of this when it comes out.
zemaj

Post by zemaj »

You should place a link under each user's post and in profiles if you want to do it properly. Just having that one link up the top is bad. It's nowhere where you want it.

Also: don't forget that you'll need to do it for the "Topic review" when replying.

-zemaj
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

As for the placement of the link, that's up to the site owner I guess. :D The choice is up to the person installing this mod.

I was gonna put in the Lookup User function already in phpbb but just didn't have time. Keep the suggestions coming, I've already discovered a bug that needs to be addressed. Hopefully I can have a package documented and available for download by tuesday. No promises though. :D
zemaj

Post by zemaj »

Oh yeah, to make it more secure, make the removing ignore function a POST not GET type (i.e. so people can't do it from a link - i.e. trick people into unignoring them).

-zemaj
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

:!: Ok, I got the search user function working. Ignore works in the Topic Review section. Also, Mods and Admins cannot be ignored. They can be added to lists but their posts will show no matter what. This is more complicated than it seems so I'm gonna write up the Modification doc and should have it by later on tonight if not tomorrow.
Superweirdash

Post by Superweirdash »

Sounds great! Make sure to post the link to download in this thread, in addition too submitting it to the database!
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

This Mod can be downloaded here:

Ignore Mod Download

I'm not quite sure how complete the instructions are. Might be missing some stuff, just let me know if I am. Also, I didn't include where to put the link to the ignore.php file. That's up to you guys. However, if people want me to, I can add it in.
Last edited by GunnerX on Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ICWizards

Post by ICWizards »

I assume its easy to remove ppl from the list?
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

Yup, you just click the X button beside their name to remove them.
GunnerX

Post by GunnerX »

If anyone manages to install this mod without any problems from the instructions I've given let me know. :D

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”