[BETA] 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules 0.7.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
mad-manne

[BETA] 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules 0.7.0

Post by mad-manne »

MOD Title: 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules
MOD Description: this MOD adds 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules to your board.
MOD Version: BETA 0.7.0
MOD Download: Olympus-Style_ForumRules(BETA_0.7.0).zip
Last Stable version: -/-

Demo Board: http://phpbb.mad-manne.de/mods2.0
Demo Username: mad-tester
Demo Password: crazy

ImageImage[BETA] 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules 0.7.0

:!: Read THIS first :!:
Remember that this is BETA-software ... It has been tested and I haven't found any bugs so far.
It should still be clear, that you must make backups of all your files and database before using this in a live-environment!

Description
Inspired by a feature of the upcoming phpBB 3.0 a.k.a Olympus, and as requested by some users ... this MOD adds 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules to your board.

Features
  • Define seperate Rules for every forum on your board in ACP [ 100% ]
    Decide to display these Rules on Top of any of the 3 related modules
    • Viewforum [ 100% ]
    • Viewtopic [ 100% ]
    • Posting [ 100% ]
  • Option to use a custom title for the ForumRules-BOX in every forum [ 100% ]
  • Option to switch off the title in the ForumRules-BOX of every forum [ 100% ]
DEMO / Screenshots
You are invited to make some tests over at my DEMO-board, but you can also find some screenshots right here :mrgreen:
Please notice, that my DEMO-board is currently still using version 0.6.1 of this MOD, so you can't see all the features, but I'll update ASAP.

:idea: Click the thumbnails to be redirected to a bigger version of each screenshot!

ImageImage
ImageImageACP Forum Administration

ImageImage
ImageRules in Viewforum

ImageImage
ImageRules with a custom title

ImageImage
ImageForumRules-BOX without a title

Latest News
+ + + Mar 30, 2005 + + +
  • Added 2 requested features:
    Ability to use a custom title in the ForumRules-BOX
    Ability to switch off the title-display on top of the ForumRules-BOX
+ + + Feb 21, 2005 + + +
  • Released the BETA 0.6.1, which fixes a small "bug" and uses better FINDs to add my css-stuff
    Also removed the CODE-block from this post, because it stretches the post too much and Downloads are available anyway
+ + + Feb 20, 2005 + + +
  • Released the BETA 0.6.0, so now I'm waiting for comments, feature-requests, bug-reports ...
:!: Known bugs :!:
  • Not really a bug, but I'll soon sort it out anyway :twisted: [FIXED in version 0.6.1]
    If you don't specify any rules in the according text-field, but still enable to show the rules in any of the 3 modules ... you'll end up with an(almost) empty Forum-Rules table on top of the according module. Will add checks to eliminiate this "inconsistency"
  • Still waiting for _real_ bugs to be posted here
Downloads Development-Roadmap
This MOD is now feature-frozen, and will only see bug-fixes if necessary...
I will soon launch the RC-phase for this MOD and then this will be submitted to the MODs-db as 1.0.0

So if you have something else on the wishlist, don't give up ... just let me know, and if it sounds interesting I might include it into a next major version later.

Hope you like it,
Manfred.
Last edited by mad-manne on Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:51 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Try not. Do or do not. There is no try. (YODA)
morpheus2matrix
Former Team Member

Post by morpheus2matrix »

Hum... looks like interesting :)

Great job :wink:
Former phpBB MOD-Team Member -

Forgive my bad English :(

No support by PM/Email - Thanks - You can thanks me here :) - Pay me for installing MOD's :lol:
A.I. BOT

Post by A.I. BOT »

very sexy stuff man gj 8)
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

morpheus2matrix wrote: Hum... looks like interesting :)
I'm just about to finish the core-code.

With that I'll update my DEMO-site, so you can see that some fora will show rules, while others will not .. and most of all: every single forum has it's own rules, just like in Olympus 8)

I even thought of an additional feature, where you can configure for each forum, in which modules the rules will appear. So that means there are 3 options to show the rules either in viewforum, viewtopic and/or posting

Once I'm done with the core, I'll start the ACP and then release the BETA.
Might not make it tonight, but should be finished somewhere tomorrow night :roll:

Cheers,
Manfred.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

I just finished the core-code and you'd best start the DEMO-tour here ... this should explain everything you need to know, in order to check what 's already under the hood :-)

Will now start working on the ACP , but as I said b4 ... no garanties for this to be finished tonight :P

Cheers,
Manfred.
Less Than Three
I've Been Banned!

Post by Less Than Three »

Finally, I have posted like 10 posts in mod requests about this. Thanks you very much for doing this.
Hater

Post by Hater »

Do the rules use HTML or BBCode?

I've been thinking of making this for the Categories Hierarchy MOD for some time now, I imagine the only half challenging part is the template aspect of it all, adding the additional field to the forums table is the easy part.

Good job so far! :)
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

Hater wrote: Do the rules use HTML or BBCode?
They use HTML just like you can use HTML in the forum's description.
As this is an ADMIN-feature it shouldn't cause any trouble, because as an admin one should know what to put in there 8)

On the other hand this also implies that there will be no smilies and the like, but hey, who needs that in the rules?!

I am about to finish the template-part of the ACP right now, and will then start working on the admin_forums.php itself.
Might even finish the code this night, but I'm pretty sure that I will still wait until tomorrow evening until I sort out all the changes and make a MOD-instructions file from all this :roll:
I don't want this to be a quick shot, just because I might be too tired while trying to release the BETA-code ...

I bet everyone interested can wait just a few more hours.

All the best,
Manfred.
onigumo

Post by onigumo »

Oh my god, that kicks but. I'll definetely give it a try. I was really hoping but never expected someone to make it. I liked it when I saw it on IPB for the first time. Thanks for developing this! ^.^
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.
End of a Shadow
Name: J G

Re: [DEV] 'Olympus-Style' Forum Rules-MOD

Post by End of a Shadow »

mad-manne wrote: This is all inspired by the feature that's available in phpBB 3.0 a.k.a. Olympus which you will find here.

Actually Invision had this feature running way before talk on phpBB2.2 began. :wink:

Maybe they were inspired by them, just like the sub-forums was developed :P
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

Hi everyone ... I've been pretty busy today, but the code itself has already been finished yesterday night. 8)
All that's left to do, is make a MOD-file from it, check this again on a vanilla-phpBB and when I find no errors ... release it into BETA here.

I will be away for another 1 or 2 hours now, but once back I hope to get it done. Just in order to let you sneak even a bit more into the MOD, I have made a screenshot of the ACP-screen (Forum-Administration)

Click the thumbnail for a bigger version ...

Hope you like it,
Manfred.
Last edited by mad-manne on Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doe Ray Me
Name: Ethan Shand

Post by Doe Ray Me »

Very nice addition that is, im impressed with what i see :D
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

Have you considered being able to handle calling append_sid() to any links? In your screenshot I see that you have a link to viewtopic, but without append_sid() folks without cookies will lose their session when they click the link.

I know, I know... folks that disable cookies. :-) But it may be a consideration for some.
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

drathbun wrote: Have you considered being able to handle calling append_sid() to any links? In your screenshot I see that you have a link to viewtopic, but without append_sid() folks without cookies will lose their session when they click the link.

I know, I know... folks that disable cookies. :-) But it may be a consideration for some.
Hi drahtbun,
very interesting feature-request there ...

Well right now it's only just plain HTML so there's no way to process any append_sid-stuff. I could add the ability to add a number of links, that would have to be entered each on their own, and could then "hand" them out via append_sid.

How many links would the people interested in this, think of as sufficient?
I could setup maybe 3 or 5 links maximum to be entered in the Forum Admin-Screen, OR make it a bit more complicated and setup a new table which would provide the ability to add just as many links as one would like.

Anyway, the proposed feature would come up with a list of links on the bottom part of the rules-table, because "inserting" them into the Rules-text would be beyond my skills :? Each link could still consist of its URL and a desribing text of the admin's choice which would come out as

Code: Select all

<a href="URL">LINK-DESCRIPTION</a>
Let me know what you think,
Manfred.
mad-manne

Post by mad-manne »

well ... I had been up until 4 am yesterday night and didn't have much sleep!
Now this catches up on me :roll:

I'm sorry that I cannot release this tonight, although I have almost finished in composing the MOD-instructions, but I'm just too tired to properly test things before I unleash the MOD.
:arrow: I'll have to get that MOD-studio thingie from smithy_dll, because from what I've heard it'll do much of the work that I am still doing "by foot" after I have my code working locally :?

I think that tomorrow afternoon about 4pm (GMT +1, as I'm located in germany) will see the release of this MOD into BETA.

/me catches some sleep now :|
Manfred.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”