[ABD] Rating system mod v1.1.0

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Gentle Giant

[ABD] Rating system mod v1.1.0

Post by Gentle Giant »

Update 7 June 2004: I won't be adding any more features to this Mod before phpBB v2.2 is released. I will, however, be developing a version of it for 2.2 and providing an upgrade path for users of the current version. For info / discussion see here

Have just finished this mod and would be grateful for a few 'early adopters' to give me some feedback before I submit it to the mods database.

Download it here

Users rate individual posts to produce overall ranks for posts, topics and users. Highly-configurable admin system, allows rank labels and graphics, negative voting, rate on first post only, ranks based on totals or averages, see who rated (+ allow anonymity). Designed to minimise performance impact on viewtopic and viewforum screens

You can get a feel for how it works by looking at my live ratings page (note the rating scheme I've chosen for my live site is different to the default one in the download)
Last edited by Gentle Giant on Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:44 am, edited 16 times in total.
fishfreek

Post by fishfreek »

Can this mod be used to rate users?

I have a forum on my site that is setup for users to trade and sell stuff to other members. It would be great to have the ability for users to RATE other users so that users with a high rating could be seen as being more honest or trustworthy. Kind of like the userfeedback on ebay.
Have you joined the PetAdvice Network?

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so ask me how to join our local Shenandoah Valley aquarium group.
Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

Yes, but only by use of post ratings (as opposed to rating the users directly).

It would be quite simple to modify rating.php so that if you had already rated one post for a certain user, you couldn't rate them again. Instead, you would be transferred to the rating you had already made and given the chance to change it. But essentially this is a post rating system, rather than user rating. The idea is that your users only have to carry out one type of 'vote' which then generates overall ratings/ranks for posts,topics and users.
dhn
Former Team Member
Name: Dominik Dröscher

Post by dhn »

I like it, have to look into it a little more later, but install went flawless. Only problem I saw so far was that the rating_admin templates are a little off, as they show the wrong paths (images and links back to forum), working fine none the less. But perhaps I just made something wrong.
~/.Hello

Post by ~/.Hello »

It sounds good..... I hope it works fine as maybe I will use it on my site someday :wink:
cdkrg

Post by cdkrg »

I've been avoiding any db altering mods (because I'm building the site on a test host and will have to move it all over) but this one is amazing.

Hopefully I'll get it running.

Thanks!
Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

dhn wrote: Only problem I saw so far was that the rating_admin templates are a little off, as they show the wrong paths (images and links back to forum), working fine none the less.

There aren't any links or images in the rating_admin template, so I assume you're referring to ones that appear in your header and / or footer.

AFAICS I've done everything correctly ($phpbb_root_path is set to '../../') so I guess any probs arise from the fact that all programs calling header and footer are assumed to be in the bb directory. Funnily enough, I've just noticed that the admin link on the footer of my page has this problem. The problem is in page_tail.php:

Code: Select all

append_sid("admin/index.$phpEx")
should read:

Code: Select all

append_sid($phpbb_root_path."admin/index.$phpEx")
Brandons
I am too lazy to register

Post by Brandons »

hmm. good mod. though something exactly the same was already created about 4 months ago. :)

w/ an indepth & great admin, a toprated.php page.. a detailed page..
A way to pull the info onto the index.php

here's a link:

Download: http://nivisec.com/mods/index.php?mode=download&id=6

Demo Top Rating Page: http://nivisec.com/mods/forums/rate.php

Demo of It Pulled Onto Their Index: http://nivisec.com/mods/forums
Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

Brandons wrote: hmm. good mod. though something exactly the same was already created about 4 months ago.

I'm well aware of nivisecs mod. This is fundamentally different, as it is a post rating, not topic rating, approach. See this thread in "Feature Discussion". Some will choose the topic rating approach, some will choose this.

Also there are a number of new features in this AFAICS (apologies to Nivisec if I've got this wrong):

- Overall ratings can be based on average OR total of ratings
- Overall ratings represented by ranks, not just average/total
- Can use text labels for rating options
- Can use text labels and / or graphics for overall ranks
- Can see who rated which posts, when and what rating (but users can also choose to be anonymous)
- Can prevent individual users from choosing to be anonymous, or from rating at all
- Can restrict rating based on user level, days registered or post count
- Re: above. Can present different range of rating options depending on user status
- Can have negative voting if desired
- Can have multiple rating options with the same point value (useful for "content" approach to rating)
- Admin can configure to have rating page open in new window, for performance

Hopefully, that's enough of a difference to justify this mods existence ;)
ryuryu

Post by ryuryu »

my rating mod is path problem!
The rating_admin.php path fixed how?
whats rating_admin.php path?
PLZ....
Thanks ^^;
Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

Not sure what you're saying, have emailed you to clarify

Some minor fixes applied, taking us to v0.1.1

Would love to get some feedback from anyone who's installed it :)
IDB

Post by IDB »

A few problems, perhaps.

1. My ratings screen looks nothing like the demo you have linked to.

2. Should the link in the posts always say "No rating" even after some ratings have been given to a post?

3. After pressing the Rating button, I always get:\

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query rating total information

After pressing back on the browser and then retrying it always works the second time.

4. When accessing the ratings screen, none of the ratings I have given are displayed. Same as point 2 really, none of the ratings seem to be saved perhaps in one of the tables?
This looks to be a great mod if I can get it working....
Regards, Ian.
Gentle Giant

Post by Gentle Giant »

Hi IDB

Sounds like something is very wrong there.

1. - Can you give me a URL (though the reason it looks different may be linked to your other probs)

2/3/4. All interlinked, I suspect. If you can re-run (3) with DEBUG switched on, it will show you the database error. Post it here or PM it to me. Using mysql and phpBB 2.03?
IDB

Post by IDB »

I will re-intsall it shortly, as I had to take it all out to work on something else. I'll let you know as soon as I have done it. I would really liketo get this mod up and running properly.
Regards, Ian.
RustyDragon

Post by RustyDragon »

Gentle Giant, looks very nice! I think I'll install it soon on my board.
But why you hav'nt used admin panel? I am aware of "view settings" purpose but then potential security flow.
For instance I was able to view configuration for your board. Might be even able to change it by famous "save and edit" hack. Not sure - don't want to harm your board ;)

Then, as I understood from your code 'Users can view configuration' is never used. Is'nt it?

Then.. Are you sure that 65535 is enough for rating? ;)

Then.. It would be great if you would add rating info to user profile.

Then.. Could you use lang files?

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”