installation error

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
blade001

installation error

Post by blade001 »

hi i have downloaded the new version of phpbb forum which is version 2.0.3. i run a server and i tried to install the forum on my server but i am having some truble to do so. i always get an error massage saying that the data file cant be cant be modified/updateable. the error msg looks like this -

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query., SQL state S1000 in SQLExecDirect in C:\WEB_ROOT\forum\db\msaccess.php on line 159

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query., SQL state S1000 in SQLExecDirect in C:\WEB_ROOT\forum\db\msaccess.php on line 159

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query., SQL state S1000 in SQLExecDirect in C:\WEB_ROOT\forum\db\msaccess.php on line 176

Warning: SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query., SQL state S1000 in SQLExecDirect in C:\WEB_ROOT\forum\db\msaccess.php on line 176

i was just wondering that is there anybody out ther who knows why is that happening? i have loked at my php settings and it looks fine to me. i also have checked that the folder where the database file is, it has been given the permissin to allow scripting and writing files. but still no success. by the by i am usin IIS 5.1 on windows XP. please somebody help. i would really apprecite it.
BLaDe001
lilbluejimmy

Post by lilbluejimmy »

I believe I've found the solution to this problem. For those of us using NTFS on our servers along with IIS and Access, the anonymous web user account (IUSR_Computername) must have write permissions (NTFS not IIS) to the database file itself. As soon as I changed mine, the thing just flew through the installation like it should have in the first place :-)

Hope this helps
ALL Operating Systems suck in their own Special way.
blade001

Post by blade001 »

i believe windows XP wont let you do that. any other way arround this problem anybody? please help.
BLaDe001
lilbluejimmy

Post by lilbluejimmy »

Actually XP requires an extra step :-) you have to enable the security tab before you can set permissions - go to tools>folder options, click the view tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended). Voila! Security tab :-) Then just right-click your filename, choose properties, security tab, add, type in IUSR_YourComputerName, click OK, then check off modify. Hit OK and run the install again.

Does that help?
Last edited by lilbluejimmy on Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jkoebel

Post by jkoebel »

lilbluejimmy wrote: I believe I've found the solution to this problem. For those of us using NTFS on our servers along with IIS and Access, the anonymous web user account (IUSR_Computername) must have write permissions (NTFS not IIS) to the database file itself. As soon as I changed mine, the thing just flew through the installation like it should have in the first place :-)
Hope this helps

That makes sense...the applications need to be permitted to write to the database...Glad you got it fixed.

Tell me, how does it work running off an Access backend? I almost considered doing that but I installed MySQL instead; because I was told Access was "slow and did not scale"
lilbluejimmy

Post by lilbluejimmy »

Mine works fine for the application I'm using - as a low-usage development board.. You can always import the data into a scalable database at a later time if you plan on getting a lot of usage out of it. :-)
blade001

Post by blade001 »

thanks i will be trying that later on. thanks for ur replys every body.
BLaDe001
Billyhahn

Post by Billyhahn »

I am getting the same error but i do not understand how you guys fixed it.
zach1288

Post by zach1288 »

Actually XP requires an extra step you have to enable the security tab before you can set permissions - go to tools>folder options, click the view tab, scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck Use simple file sharing (Recommended). Voila! Security tab Then just right-click your filename, choose properties, security tab, add, type in IUSR_YourComputerName, click OK, then check off modify. Hit OK and run the install again.

i went into folder options and scrolled to the bottom and there is nothing that says Use simple file sharing (Recommended) can anyone help? :cry:
bebootus

Post by bebootus »

What about win 2000? i don't see these options...
lilbluejimmy

Post by lilbluejimmy »

Windows 2000 does not have the security tab problem that XP does. The only thing you need to do for Windows 2000 is add the IUSER_blahblah account to have write access to the access file.
cperera

Post by cperera »

bebootus wrote: What about win 2000? i don't see these options...
mp213

Post by mp213 »

i have fat32 and am getting the exact same error, except mine comes when im trying to insert. the script im executing is the following:

<?
$need_auth=true;
require 'session3.php';

$cname =$HTTP_POST_VARS["name"];
$telno =$HTTP_POST_VARS["telno"];
$faxno =$HTTP_POST_VARS["fax"];
$email =$HTTP_POST_VARS["email"];
$Connection = odbc_connect("mp","mp","mp");
$r="INSERT into Candidate (Tel_No, Name, Fax_No, Email) VALUES ($telno,'$cname',$faxno,'$email') where Email='$_SESSION[USER]'";
$query=odbc_do($Connection, $r);

if($query)
{
header("location:candindex.php");
exit;
}
else
{
echo "Create Profile failed!";
echo "Please go back and try again...";
}
?>

and the error is

Warning: odbc_do(): SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement., SQL state 37000 in SQLExecDirect in d:\inetpub\wwwroot\LT\savecand1.php on line 11

please help...please also tell me the exact steps...i have windows xp 2000 and ms access 2003 edition...i need to know whats wrong. thanks. mp.
pmerkel

Problems with Installation on IIS 5.1

Post by pmerkel »

I am experiencing the same problem on IIS 5.1 on a system with NTFS. I tried to add IUSR-computername with write permissions on the access database with no success. Is there something I am missing here???

Thanks.

Phil Merkel
webcoder

More Info

Post by webcoder »

Hi,

Can u please provide more information on this....e.g. an URL perhaps? Will look forward to resolve this.

regards
WC
Life's unfair - but root password helps! ;)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”