Understanding Avatars

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Cynthia

Understanding Avatars

Post by Cynthia »

From recent posts and reading, etc., I have come to the conclusion that no avatars are provided with the phpBB2 software. Please correct me if I am wrong. I could find none after extracting all the files from the zip file.

One has to create the avatar gallery with folders on their site and upload various avatars with each having its own folder. And the path, shown in the Configuration file, is started with images/avatars/gallery (and then each avatar in its own folder).

And for allowing those to upload their own avatar, you provide the full path: http://www.domainname.com/images/users, aso in the Configuration file.

Also, I did read on Page 6 of the Readme.html file, stored with the Docs folder that since there are security issues with PHP 3 and 4, resulting in many hosting providers disabling file uploads, that various checks have been implemented in phpBB2. Said checks are to prevent one from enabling or making use of functions which will not operate correctly on PHP as installed on your server. At this time this includes locally uploaded avatars and DB restore. Does this mean that one cannot upload an avatar?

The big question now, if I am correct in that I have to create my own avatar folders, is how do I obtain avatars to create the needed gallery? Does anyone know of a site where one may download avatars?
Wishing you a long, healthy and happy life!
Cynthia
phpBB2.04 since 5/8/03
writer

Post by writer »

I would reccomend just doing a search on google.
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Thank you Jelly Doughnut and Writer for your suggestions and links. :lol:
Wishing you a long, healthy and happy life!
Cynthia
phpBB2.04 since 5/8/03

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”