(New)Question on converting

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
beautibella

(New)Question on converting

Post by beautibella »

Ok I am a little confused ok when you convert you have to make a new database to upload phpbb3 right then install as regular then go to the convert if thats correct my question is will that override your other database with your phpbb2 on it?

New Part: Ok the board path my domain I have my board is http://dreams.essenceofdreamdolls.com instead of having it like this http://essenceofdreamdolls.com/dreams so how do I put the value in because it want except it as ../dreams.
Last edited by ric323 on Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Re: Question on converting

Post by stevemaury »

Information on how to convert from phpBB2 to phpBB3 is here.

Basically, you must have both phpBB2 and phpBB3 installed on the same server. After you have finished installing phpBB3 you will have the option to convert your phpBB2 board using the built in converter. The information it asks you for is related to the phpBB2 installation and can be found in its config.php file on the server. All of your users, posts, forums, PMs etc are converted. However, styles and MODs are not (with the exception of the birthday and attachment MODs which are supported by the converter). The phpBB2 database is not converted per se, it is merely read and converted/moved to the new phpBB3 database, so if it goes wrong your old board will not be affected at all. At the end of the conversion, once you're happy it's all working, your phpBB2 database and files can be backed up and removed if you so wish. They are not connected to the new installation in any way.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
beautibella

Post by beautibella »

O ok thanks so much.
japagun

Post by japagun »

in conversion you don't lose your old DB......
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

japagun wrote:in conversion you don't lose your old DB......
Is that a question?

if so, then the answer is no, you do not lose your old database.

at the end of a successful conversion, you will have both phpbb2 and phpbb3 side by side each capable of running independently of each other.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
beautibella

Post by beautibella »

yes that's the question thanks so much.
japagun

Post by japagun »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
japagun wrote:in conversion you don't lose your old DB......
Is that a question?

if so, then the answer is no, you do not lose your old database.

at the end of a successful conversion, you will have both phpbb2 and phpbb3 side by side each capable of running independently of each other.

robert
no its not a question........ ;)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”