subSilver update

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
subBlue
Former Team Member

subSilver update

Post by subBlue » Mon Oct 01, 2001 11:59 pm

Hi folks,
The subSilver theme now on this forum has been updated. It's now leaner and meaner than ever! I've done some serious optimising of the layout code and utilised CSS instead of nested tables the previous design used. This means big speed improvements (especially on Netscape 4 which was very slow before). The trade off is that with Netscape 4.x some of the table borders are no longer visible since it doesn't support as much CSS. Everything should look the same in quality browsers.

There are also new style options when posting messages: underline, fontsize and font colouring.

Note: if you have font sizing set in you sig then you need to update it. The font sizes are now defined by CSS in terms of pixels: 9-26

The PM section is also properly themed now and the polls are a little smoother.

Another nice little feature is the different coloured post icon next to unread replies when viewing a topic.
There is also new quote styling

Code: Select all

and also code display:
<!-- DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" -->
<!-- <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"> -->
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
Which brings me onto the final point of html standards. I've tried to to make all my templates XHTML 1.0 transitional compliant (although it says HTML4.01 in the header, it actually checks out for XHTML 1.0).

If you are looking to start creating your own templates based on subSilver then this version is the one to use. It's now in the CVS ready and waiting.

Enjoy :D
Last edited by subBlue on Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Tue Oct 02, 2001 12:10 am

Just to add here (since most/all will read it(!)) ... remember to run the convert_privmsgs.php in the develop directory when updating via CVS. If not your PM system will not work.

Remember also to add the required additional fields to the _config table, max_inbox_privmsgs, max_sentbox_privmsgs and max_savebox_privmsgs ... set them as desired, they can be altered via the general configuration in admin.

AlieXai

a small bug...

Post by AlieXai » Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:00 am

in privmsgs_body.tpl, line 60 should be changed FROM:

<td align="left" width="100%"> <span class="nav"><a href="../PSO/%7BU_INDEX%7D" class="nav">{SITENAME} {L_INDEX}</a></span></td>

TO:
<td align="left" width="100%"> <span class="nav"><a href="{U_INDEX}" class="nav">{SITENAME} {L_INDEX}</a></span></td>

subBlue
Former Team Member

Post by subBlue » Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:07 am

thanks, i missed that one!

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:10 am

Tom, just so you know, I love you :)

I love the BBCode code and quote templates you've done. phpBB looks downright spiffy now..hehe :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

Shantra

Post by Shantra » Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:04 am

No wonder why I hired him! :D

Skie

Post by Skie » Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:12 am

looks nice :)

mitsubishi

Post by mitsubishi » Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:00 am

I'll post this here because I don't know if a template issue or not (havn't had a good look at the template system yet). But it would be nice if the next/previous topic links had the read/unread icons for people like me who always forget where they are in the forum list. On v1.4 I modified the next/previous hack to display the first 30 characters of the topic name with up/down icons (never got around to using though :( ), maybe that could also be an option?

Ca5ey

Post by Ca5ey » Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:16 pm

And again: good work all!!! This looks better and better from day to day.
phpBB Fetch All 2.0.15 · http://www.phpbbfetchall.com/

TC
Former Team Member

Post by TC » Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:55 pm

theFinn wrote:
Tom, just so you know, I love you :)

I love the BBCode code and quote templates you've done. phpBB looks downright spiffy now..hehe :)

'Now'?????? As if it didn't already blow me away before....

I know I'm a newbie to you guys here, but I've been lurking on the other forums immediately after installing phpBB 1.4, and I just wanted to say that it was the installation of phpBB that peaked my interest in php as a whole, that motivated me to attempt to teach myself about php-programming, and that generally got me all excited about web development again. But this new version/gui of phpBB has really got me pumped about designing, more than ever before. devs - you've really knocked yourselves out with all the new features, and sub - what can I say? All the praise you have been receiving for this theme is more than deserved. This is the finest example of how 'it' should be done there is, period.

Again, a thousand thanks to all of you hard-working devs here. I am thoroughly impressed. May the hair on your toes never fall off.

TC

GrimmReeper

Post by GrimmReeper » Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:29 pm

Hey subBlue, Lookin good!!! But hey is there any chance on a default set of avatars?

GrimmReeper

Post by GrimmReeper » Tue Oct 02, 2001 4:32 pm

Ohh ya, I have like 1250+ avatars that I've created that I'd be willing to donate to phpBB but the only thing is that they are all videogame/anime avatars ^_^

Silverion

Post by Silverion » Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:06 pm

Whoww TOM this is really exceptional !!! I must admit that i like new java code in posting messages VERY much lol ...
Silverion
unofficial Beta tester ;-)

P.S. Sorry for my far from perfect english im italian ...

http://www.tip.it
http://www.arenascape.net/ ARENAscape MUD like browser text game im developing ..

bshockley

Post by bshockley » Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:41 pm

Looks really good. Wow, this is certainly coming along nicely.

GamerZ

Post by GamerZ » Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:53 am

WHa I luv this subblue forum theme, i just love it, simply so nice

keep it up

can i know wehre to download this theme?[/list]

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”