Mail problems in 2.0.5?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Abducted

Post by Abducted » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:52 am

i dont understand why, but the error in emailer.php started 4 days AFTER the upgrade to 2.0.5 !!! (i am using phpbb plus1.2). Some users get this error and some users DONT !!!!

lrgrthnlf

SMTP and using 'sendmail' - setting envelope "from"

Post by lrgrthnlf » Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:27 am

I started using SMTP awhile back, as one thing I found was that the SMTP "mail from" was being set to the webserver's UID when SMTP was not being used. All the bounces were going to my ISP's tech guru :)

Maybe an option be added to specify additional arguments to sendmail executable/php routine such that one can explicitly specify the email address that should be used for the SMTP envelope sender, and not just the From header?

The envelope sender not always the same as email from address.

Additionally - has anyone else noticed that certain emails (especially topic notifications) go out with a to field that looks like:

To: <>

? ... This causes problems with some remote MTAs that have strict spam checking.

wonderman

Post by wonderman » Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:39 am

Okay "support team", how about finaly fixing this damn problem?! If you don't know what the problem is just change that mailing feature like it was in 2.0.4, but do something, our boards really look dumb displaying some stupid error messages for a month.

Xuxa

New registrants, we STILL get an error

Post by Xuxa » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:21 am

Although I've applied your patch, we're still getting the error as described within << >> , below:
:roll:

<< Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 246
File : /XXXXXX/xxxxxxx/XXXXXXXX/phpbb2/includes/emailer.php >>

:P The patch did work as far as mass-emailing, your quote:
Acyd Burn wrote: All of you having problems with Mass Emailing, could you please apply the following 'patch' and tell us if it helped and if the other mail related functions are retaining to be operational too?

Open includes/emailer.php:

FIND

Code: Select all

$this->extra_headers = (($this->replyto != '') ? "Reply-to: <$this->replyto>\n" : '') . (($this->from != '') ? "From: <$this->from>\n" : "From: <" . $board_config['board_email'] . ">\n") . "Return-Path: <" . $board_config['board_email'] . ">\nMessage-ID: <" . md5(uniqid(time())) . "@" . $board_config['server_name'] . ">\nMIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=" . $this->encoding . "\nContent-transfer-encoding: 8bit\nDate: " . gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s Z', time()) . "\nX-Priority: 3\nX-MSMail-Priority: Normal\nX-Mailer: PHP\nX-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2\n" . trim($this->extra_headers) . (($cc != '') ? "Cc:$cc\n" : '')  . (($bcc != '') ? "Bcc:$bcc\n" : ''); 
REPLACE WITH:

$this->extra_headers = (($this->replyto != '') ? "Reply-to: <$this->replyto>\n" : '') . (($this->from != '') ? "From: <$this->from>\n" : "From: <" . $board_config['board_email'] . ">\n") . "Return-Path: <" . $board_config['board_email'] . ">\nMessage-ID: <" . md5(uniqid(time())) . "@" . $board_config['server_name'] . ">\nMIME-Version: 1.0\nContent-type: text/plain; charset=" . $this->encoding . "\nContent-transfer-encoding: 8bit\nDate: " . gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s Z', time()) . "\nX-Priority: 3\nX-MSMail-Priority: Normal\nX-Mailer: PHP\nX-MimeOLE: Produced By phpBB2\n" . $this->extra_headers . (($cc != '') ? "Cc:$cc\n" : '')  . (($bcc != '') ? "Bcc:$bcc\n" : ''); 
To clarify this, the only change is the non-trimming of $this->extra_headers at the end of the line.

:arrow: Is there anything else you can help us with? Specifically with 'Failed sending email for new registrants'

:?:

Presto

Post by Presto » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:22 am

i know we're getting the software for free and blablabla but yes, something has got to happen now
this is not good for us and not good for phpbb
invisionboard for example is getting more populair everyday by things like this

Xuxa

Post by Xuxa » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:57 am

Presto wrote: i know we're getting the software for free and blablabla but yes, something has got to happen now
this is not good for us and not good for phpbb
invisionboard for example is getting more populair everyday by things like this

:oops: thanx for the input. 8O

:arrow: I want to keep phpbb though. :!:

l3gol4s

Post by l3gol4s » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:18 pm

Warning: fsockopen, pfsockpen, show_source, php_uname, ini_get, ini_alter, ini_restore, ini_set, getrusage, mysql_list_dbs, get_current_user, set_time_limit, getmyuid, getmypid, dl, leak, listen, chown, chmod, chgrp, realpath, tmpfile, link() has been disabled for security reasons in /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php on line 111

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:111) in /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 474

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:111) in /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 476

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:111) in /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Could not connect to smtp host : :

DEBUG MODE

Line : 113
File : /data/members/free/tripod/it/l/3/g/l3gol4s/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problems on emails to new registrer users

http://www.tripod.lycos.it/build/php4u/phpinfo.phtml

Server Specs: Debian GNU/Linux - Bi PIII 1Ghz - 1 Gb RAM - Kernel 2.4.x
Hosting Company: http://www.tripod.lycos.it
Server Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
PHP Version: PHP-4.3.2
MySQL Version: 3.23.52

Abducted

Post by Abducted » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:29 pm

Using SMTP i get this:

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php on line 111

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to smtp.zonametal.com.ar:25 in /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php on line 111

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php:111) in /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/page_header.php on line 623

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php:111) in /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/page_header.php on line 625

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php:111) in /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/page_header.php on line 626

Could not connect to smtp host : 13 : Permission denied

DEBUG MODE

Line : 113
File : /home/zmetal/public_html/phpBB2/includes/smtp.php

jet_Jaguar

Post by jet_Jaguar » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:35 pm

jet_Jaguar wrote: It also sends out mass email, but it doesn't do the BCC thing correctly, so everyone sees everyone else's email address, completely defeating the purpose of Blind Carbon Copy.

I believe it doesn't work because it puts an IP address before the the "BCC:" line.

Let me correct that: apparently, the users aren't actually getting the mass emails, probably because of the messed up BCC: line.
Guy Talk Forum Admin

chuckgvnw

Re: New registrants, we STILL get an error

Post by chuckgvnw » Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:58 pm

I was getting the same thing too for new registrants:

Failed sending email :: PHP ::

DEBUG MODE

There was a solution posted by Acyd Burn:

Open includes/usercp_register.php

DELETE THE FOLLOWING LINE:
Code:

$emailer->email_address($lang['New_account_subject'] . ':;');

Hope this helps.

DJ^c00L

Post by DJ^c00L » Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:53 pm

phpbb team or whatever u are

cant u just relice a new version and FIX this error?

DrAkAhN

Post by DrAkAhN » Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:25 pm

Dj have youi ever programmed anything? I havent, but i know it might take awhile for it to come out, they have to find the problem, fix it, and test it. Finding thue problem itself could take months. By "Finding the problem" i mean the source of the problem. So just be patient.

dkklein

Post by dkklein » Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:02 am

DrAkAhN wrote: Dj have youi ever programmed anything? I havent, but i know it might take awhile for it to come out, they have to find the problem, fix it, and test it. Finding thue problem itself could take months. By "Finding the problem" i mean the source of the problem. So just be patient.

The problem is not that it takes time to fix the issue. I am sure most if not all users understand that finding, fixing and testing will take some time. I work with development daily and I know that some bugs are hard to find and fix because if You are unable to reproduce the bug on a test system it is very hard to figure out what to fix.

No the real problem is that the last update from the developers is on page 3 of this topic and is posted on june 26! And that is simply disrespectful from the developers that they do not post progress updates more often. It only takes 1 minute to post an update.
Best regards Tommy

wutty

Post by wutty » Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:46 am

Badastaz wrote: i installed your phpbb 2.05 and am now ecountering errors this is the error i am getting does anyone know of a fix?

Failed sending email :: PHP :: 0

DEBUG MODE

File : /data/members/free/tripod/uk/g/h/c/ghclan/htdocs/phpBB2/includes/emailer.php

Host: tripod.lycos.co.uk
system: Debian GNU/Linux - Bi PIII 1Ghz - 1 Gb RAM - Kernel 2.4.x
MySql: v.3.23.52
PHP: 4.x

I have exactly the same problem respectively the same error message!
My host is tripod.lycos.de. Since I havent found this error message anywhere else in this thread, i assume that the problem is tripod.lycos!
Unfortunately i dont have the slightest idea how to fix this problem!

Presto

Post by Presto » Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:03 pm

dkklein wrote: No the real problem is that the last update from the developers is on page 3 of this topic and is posted on june 26! And that is simply disrespectful from the developers that they do not post progress updates more often. It only takes 1 minute to post an update.

Yes, that's true !! :evil:

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”