anonymous user suggestion again

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
niekas

anonymous user suggestion again

Post by niekas » Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:30 am

I'd like to suggest something that seems obvious.
on viewforum and index pages (if anonymous user posting is enabled) it doesn't visitor picked username (although its available to the script).
It would make sense to disply that username without linking to profile instead of showing thread started by anonymous and linking to -1 user profile.
"Last post by" already doesn't link to user profile but it could display picked username anyway.
The username is unique? although its available for registration.
I think that would be more sensible approach.
just my pennies.

The Flib

Post by The Flib » Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:28 pm

That was sorta garbled... I'm not sure I get exactly what you're saying...

I think that all anonymous users should have to post as "anonymous"
It gets confusing when someone posts as "Killer" and then someone ELSE regs as Killer. SO... That's a hack that I'll put on my board when it's ready to go live.
I am no longer doing any phpBB related projects. Except Vertex, which is only a front for Sphereal.

http://sphereal.com/

Shantra

Post by Shantra » Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:56 pm

If it is that he means, I think he has a point!
I have been to many boards that almost only consist of anonym posts, and thats frustrating. One way of fixing that is to add a nickname to the anonym name. Like "Anonymous (Killer)"!! The only problem would be that many anonym posters could use the same nickname.

So, I would have sticked to the way it allready is!! :)

Master of Puppets

Post by Master of Puppets » Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:33 pm

Any decent anonymous username implementation checks the registered base before allowing a user to use a name anonymously. :)

SHS`
Former Team Member
Name: Jonathan Stanley

Post by SHS` » Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:42 pm

Master of Puppets wrote:
Any decent anonymous username implementation checks the registered base before allowing a user to use a name anonymously. :)

True... but that will only check for names that are currently there. It is perfectly possible for a subsequent user to register a name that was used for Anon posting. So you'll end up with what appears initially as two identical users, but only differ by rank/title..... Not quite good enough IMO.

If they can choose a nickname, they should have registered in the first place. :)

So, as far as I am concerned, if you rare going to have guest access, either:

A) Don't allow them to choose an alias.

or

B) Let them use an alias (as current) but it shows as suggested.... Guest (Username) or some such.
Jonathan “SHS`” Stanley • 史德信

The Flib

Post by The Flib » Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:49 pm

WEll, the title of a user who posts anon is "guest"... so
TheFlib

And

TheFlib
Should Get Out More

Are two different people, or they're both me. Everyone should just reg... it takes 10 seconds.
I am no longer doing any phpBB related projects. Except Vertex, which is only a front for Sphereal.

http://sphereal.com/

Inferno

Post by Inferno » Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:38 pm

Well, I disagree with the "forcing people to register" approach. Eventually, you have 100 users registered with one post each.

And I prefer the anonymous poster be allowed to enter a username. What's the difference if an anonymous user gets confused with another anonymous user, or if that "named" anonymous user gets confused with a registered user.

My $0.02 (CAD)
Inferno
Burn baby burn!!
www.clanmch.net/phpBB2

niekas

programmers look at this from users point of view

Post by niekas » Sun Oct 07, 2001 5:14 am

Programmers take a little time and look at this from users point of view. When user is allowed to enter his personal username without registering its his temporary handle that he chose to identify himself. Although system doesn't recognize it as member its his nick.
People do not care whats behind the generated html page - how database is layed out, what does user ID means, blah blah. Thats their handle at this particular post. So due to all respect to the particular user it should be displyed in index and forumview pages along the way its displayed in topicview. Really whats the difference displaying this handle at topicview, forumview or index?
All major competing boards provide this as natural as it is (ubb, vbulletin, wwwthreads) . This feature is totally for end users not for programmers.
Of course linking to anonymous user profile is totally useless. So link to profile should be removed so it would be clear if user is registered or not.

Its already available in phpBB2 with very slight modifications. (i did it for myself, but i'm just pushing to make it main release option that would make sense)

niekas

Post by niekas » Wed Oct 10, 2001 6:02 am

I think its important issue so i'm bumping it.

niekas

Post by niekas » Thu Oct 11, 2001 6:53 pm

bump again :oops:

niekas

Post by niekas » Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:15 pm

last time bumping. It seems that i'm hitting a wall...

niekas

Post by niekas » Tue Oct 16, 2001 8:49 am

TheFlib wrote:
WEll, the title of a user who posts anon is "guest"... so
TheFlib

And

TheFlib
Should Get Out More

Are two different people, or they're both me. Everyone should just reg... it takes 10 seconds.

again you missing the point. Anonymous users shouldn't be let to use already registered usernames -> they are out of range. So if user selects TheFlib - he would be told that this name is reserved or already taken or disallowed by administrator - whatever is the option - The same function to test if username already in use that is used on register script could be and should be used.
I'm just keep on trying to point this for users who run boards where registration is not enforced. Believe me this is very important to us.

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:03 am

niekas: Umm..thats how it works. An anonymous poster cannot post with a username that is taken.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

niekas

Post by niekas » Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:41 am

yes, but untill now phpBB and it seems phpBB2 chose not to display that anonymous username in index.php or forumview.php - instead it displays that post was started or last poster was anonymous with a link to profile of user with user_id=-1.

What i'm suggesting to display THE anonymous chosen username the way it was entered by poster and display it whatever it is without a link.

For example if user posts new topic as TheFinn2 which is unregistered Index and forumview pages would show that last post was by TheFinn2 without a link to profile (which is good enough indicator that poster is unregistered) the same as forumview topic started by TheFinn2 without a link to profile.

If user doesn't enter anything we have predefined username anonymous which also doesn't need any profile since its default system account.

I already customized phpBB2 to do this with very little modifications http://www.isp.f2s.com/forum/
i hope you address this in regard of customers who use this board without requiring registration.

Believe its important for boards that run them without requiring registration and its something that annoys a hell out of me already :D :evil:- first i proposed this on 2001-01-31

http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB/view ... 34&forum=9

and you finn agreed that this the right thing to do. I wrote a hack for it soon after. I can post those few lines of code that i fixed and you can review them to accept into main release. But its elementary...

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn » Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:37 am

Plese post the code you used, its 3am and I don't want to figure it out myself :D

I agree with you that this is how it should work.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”