Emailer problem in 2.0.4

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
TangyPeach

Emailer problem in 2.0.4

Post by TangyPeach » Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:53 pm

All of a sudden, I've started seeing this error.
General Error

Failed sending email ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 225
File : /home/candy/public_html/forum/includes/emailer.php

I have no idea why it all of a sudden started. The error doesn't come up on every post or thread.

In my Admin Panel, I have "User email via board" enabled.

If anyone's had this problem before an give me a pointer or tell me how to fix this, it'd be very helpful.

Thanks.
www.thepeachpit.com

dont laugh, im new at this... *smiles*

Hack

Post by Hack » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:06 pm

Read The Sticky Above..

TangyPeach

Post by TangyPeach » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:08 pm

Hack wrote: Read The Sticky Above..

i jus did, thanks.

(seen that it was 2.0.5, so i dint bother before posting. lol, I shoulda went ahead.)
www.thepeachpit.com

warmweer

Re: Emailer problem in 2.0.4

Post by warmweer » Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:22 pm

TangyPeach wrote: All of a sudden, I've started seeing this error.
General Error

Failed sending email ::

DEBUG MODE

Line : 225
File : /home/candy/public_html/forum/includes/emailer.php

I have no idea why it all of a sudden started. The error doesn't come up on every post or thread.

In my Admin Panel, I have "User email via board" enabled.

If anyone's had this problem before an give me a pointer or tell me how to fix this, it'd be very helpful.

Thanks.

Any modding done to emailer.php or to other files which pass variables on to emailer? Are you using SMTP or not? When did the error start? (maybe your host changed some configuration). When does the error occur, registration?, bulkemail?, group request or approve?, etc..

If your board is not modded or only slightly you might consider updating to 2.0.5 (try a test board first to see if email works with 2.0.5)
Hack wrote: Read The Sticky Above..

euh? the email problems in the sticky occur with 2.0.5, but the topicstarter mentions emailer problems in 2.0.4.

Although there's nothing wrong in reading the sticky(2.0.5) I wouldn't suggest using the 2.0.5 emailer in 2.0.4, nor the 2.0.4 emailer in 2.0.5. Emailer.php is called from various files (e.g. groupcp.php, usercp_register.php, etc..) and the way the headers are built differ seriously, it doesn't work without some serious modding (and I mean serious, implying you really have to understand what you are doing, I guess this implies walking on thin ice).
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut » Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:12 pm

Primedomain wrote: Enable SMTP in Admin Panel --> General Admin --> Configuration, use as SMTP server localhost, leave username and password empty and see if it works.

If it still doesn't work, try as SMTP server the SMTP server of your hoster or your ISP as well as the respective username (if necessary) and your SMTP password (only possible, if the SMTP server supports authentication).
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

TangyPeach

Post by TangyPeach » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:35 pm

Hey, thanks for the replys. I did go back an read the sticky for the 2.0.5. and then contacted my host. He said it was something he would have to correct.

Thanks again, and yes, I'll try updating soon.
www.thepeachpit.com

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”