Creating a mysqldb for phpbb

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
firsytbase11897

Creating a mysqldb for phpbb

Post by firsytbase11897 »

I don't know how to create a db for phpbb. I want to create it through mysqlmyadmin. Can someone tell me step by step what I need to do?
phpbb2_fan

Post by phpbb2_fan »

What server are you using, if it is Lycos, you would go to your account, and click on "activae PHP4U" and also "Activate my MySQL database" if you have a different server, you might have to contact tech support since each server is different.

Hope THis Helps,
Christian
I'm Back!
firsytbase11897

I have access to mysqlmyadmin. All I need to know what to do is how to set up the tables and the other stuff that is needed in the db (I have never set up a db before).
Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion »

You don't have to set up the table structure - you merely have to create an empty DB, and remember its name.

In phpMyAdmin's main page, there should be a textbox labeled "Create new database". Type in a name for your DB there (anything sensible will do, like "phpbb2"), and click 'create'.

Then simply put that DB name in the when you run ..install/install.php (by pointing your browser to it)
firsytbase11897

Ok, thanks a bunch. I'm off to try and get this to work again.
firsytbase11897

I am still having problems. The database was already created when I got the hosting. It is a blank db. When I go to www.siteurl.com/myusername/phpbb2/install.php I get nothing.
blueadmin

Post by blueadmin »

just go to www.siteurl.com/myusername/phpbb2/

forget about the install.php on the end, put in all the data, username password, the blank database that you talked abouts name.
Ho Ho Ho merry christmas
You Stuck? Read this before askinghere and here
A_Jelly_Doughnut
Former Team Member

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

Note case sensitivity. It may be www.yoursite.com/username/phpBB2/
A Donut's Blog
"Bach's Prelude (Cello Suite No. 1) is driving Indiana country roads in Autumn" - Ann Kish

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”