Moving Win,IIS,MySQL4,phpBB2 to Lin,Apache,MySQL4

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
stardotstar

Moving Win,IIS,MySQL4,phpBB2 to Lin,Apache,MySQL4

Post by stardotstar » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:52 am

[Have searched and read widely - but pretty much stalled now...]

Support Gurus,

Here are the circumstances of my problem. This is clearly a case of my familiarity with database engines and Apache/PHP configuration so I understand that the answers may lie elsewhere but I need to set the context out cause I can't find anything that progresses me in all my searches.

I have a fully configured and thoroughly tested phpBB2 forum with lots of MODs and a 4images gallery running on my test platform: Win XP, IIS, mysql 4, php4, phpBB2.

I have backed up the database (including the 4images elements) in both the forum and gallery control panels. So I have two copies of the full database from the windows platform.

The host I have selected runs Linux, Apache 2 and mysql. They do not support Win->Lin migration so I have decided to get the existing Windows:localhost site running on my Linux, Apache, mysql test platform before I commence upload to go live.

I hope I do not have to reinstall the phpBB2 since I have modded it and already placed posts, announcements and calendar entries in.

I have copied the directory structure in tact from e:\Inetpub\wwwroot\forum to /var/www/html/forum
Apache is loading my index.html which links to the forum and gallery...

I have used mysql to create the database name (empty) and assign the same username and password to it.

My phpinfo in Apache2 tells me that I should have access to mysql:

PHP Version 4.2.2
dbx
dbx support enabled
dbx version 1.0.0
supported databases
MySQL
ODBC
PostgreSQL
Microsoft SQL Server
FrontBase
Oracle 8 (not really)
Sybase-CT...

and yet I get:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_connect() in /var/www/html/forum/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 48

...when I go to index.php

so I am not reaching my database.

Furthermore, if I try to install phpBB2 to connect to the database I can launch the install.php page but when I enter all the details I get:

An error has occurred during installation The PHP configuration on your server doesn't support the database type that you chose

even though I chose MySQL4.x.

Please help me with some places to look for what is interfearing with the connections.

BTW I tried the command to import the database described in the knowedgebase article on moving,backing up and restoring etc...

mysql -u [user] -p DATABASE_ NAME < backup.sql;

but it wouldn't understand. Do I need to use mysqladmin, or do it from the mysql shell or what???

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help me hack this out.

I take it that I can migrate the site in the way I am attempting - or do I need to do a clean install on the new host and then upload the directory structure (with modded files and accessories) over the top and then do a restore???

Cheers.

garmachi

RE: Migrating from Windows To Linux

Post by garmachi » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:44 pm

Did it work?

I'm about to migrate my entire PHPBB from a Windows box and I'd LIKE to use Linux, (I'm not opposed to Win2003 server either) but I haven't the faintest idea where to start. Is there a step by step procedure for moving a PHPBB from one platform to another?

Does anyone here have experience doing this?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”