I need help with my forum

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
maegernillion

I need help with my forum

Post by maegernillion » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:53 am

I have a forum and my hosting just did a migration, after that my web site is down. I tryed to upload a backup and it ocurred a problem but after the solution it came another problem, when i try to enter it shows me the following error:
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: sql_db in /home/www/melkorsite.idohost.com/phpBB2/includes/db.php on line 60[
and i don't know what to do.

Please help me.
Last edited by ric323 on Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic icon changed

momentum

Re: I need help with my forum

Post by momentum » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:06 am

Sounds like your host has changed the database type. Have a look in your hosting admin panel and see if you can figure out what sort of database you're now supposed to be using, then check your config.php file to see what the board was previously using. Post back here with the results.

Craig.
QOTY: phpBB is free, good hosting is not. - robert (Lumpy Burgertushie)

ChrisRLG
Former Team Member

Post by ChrisRLG » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:10 am

minght also be incompatability of a php4 to 5 upgrade.

Please supply details of the versions of PHP and MySQL that are running now - and if possible what was running before.

Please provide us with the information necessary to assist you by filling out the Support Request Template.
phpBB: The All Important Rules - Bertie Bear 3.0 - No support via PM system - use the forums please.
phpBB v2: Retirement (1/1/2009) : phpBB v3: Read Me Topic - Custom BBCodes - Support Template
Matthew 7:7"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and a door will be opened to you."
My Links: MS MVP (Consumer Security) - Malware Removal:University - Own Forum: Custom BBCode testing

espicom

Post by espicom » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:40 pm

Check your config.php script and the contents of the db/ directory, and make sure the database type matches what your server uses, AND that the corresponding database driver is in place. The names are CASE SENSITIVE, and "mysql" is not the same as "MySQL". If the file names are missing or screwed up (mixed or upper case, should be all lower case), make them match.

The error you are getting means that phpBB was unable to read a database driver from the db/ directory, so it did not know how to create a database "object" to talk to.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

maegernillion

Post by maegernillion » Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:10 pm

I did the following thing, i changed the dbhost, instead of localhost i put another i saw on an old version of config.php that i have, and for a moment it seemed to work, well, it didn't enter the website but at least it didn't show the error, it just showed an internet explorer error.
Another thing i did is to change the type of php, on my server we can change it from php 4 to 5, but it began to show the error again.
I contacted the technical support of the server in order to review if my config.php information is ok.
How else can i know what my db server uses in order to change it on the scripts?
Well, thanks guys for your patience and collaboration

espicom

Post by espicom » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:44 am

Your db/ directory should have the following files in it:

Code: Select all

db2.php
index.htm
msaccess.php
mssql-odbc.php
mssql.php
mysql4.php
mysql.php
oracle.php
postgres7.php
In the config.php script, there is a line that looks like:

$dbms = 'mysql';
The only legal values between the single quotes are:

db2
msaccess
mssql-odbc
mssql
mysql4
mysql
oracle
postgres7
Now, of course, only one of those applies to your database, but, if you put in:

$dbms = 'MYSQL';
it isn't going to work, because the file MYSQL.php doesn't exist in the db/ directory, so it can't read it. Unlike Windows, most web servers don't treat MYSQL.php and mysql.php as the same file...

The version of PHP used won't affect the error you're getting about being unable to instantiate the class sql_db; it comes from not being able to read the correct file.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:51 pm

and the bottom line is that it is up to your host to tell you how to make your site work since they messed it up by whatever they were doing.

I would really be yelling at their tech support if it was me.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

maegernillion

Post by maegernillion » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 am

Espicom, thank you very much, at least i could reactivate my website. As you said, the possible values between the quotes were those who you mentioned, i changed the values i had and i put `mysql` and that was it.

Now Lumpy, believe me, i have yelled into my tech support because the first error was trying to upload the database backup, but when it show me this error in particular, they told me that they couldn't help me because they don't offer support to thir party codes.
The rest is history because i came here, jeje.

Thanks guy, really, you were really helpful, specially Espicom for being patient and splaning well.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”