"bulk" registration of members

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
bjc3

"bulk" registration of members

Post by bjc3 »

I recently installed phpBB and have it running at www.aka.org, the website for a national hobbyist group, the American Killifish Association. Our membership is nearly 1000 members and it changes monthly, as new people join and some drop out. I would like to be able to do a bulk registration of all members, using their membership numbers and passwords. Ideally I'd like to have an easy way to modify this each month, although once they are in, a moderator could manually remove members who have dropped out, and add new ones (this amounts to a few of each, each month).

Is there an established way to do a "bulk import" of registered members, such that our members would then just have to log on?

Thanks.

Barry Cooper
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, OR
Guitargod

Post by Guitargod »

I thought you said you had over 1000 members. I visited your site and you only have 34
bjc3

Mass registrations

Post by bjc3 »

Guitargod wrote: I thought you said you had over 1000 members. I visited your site and you only have 34

You misunderstood what I meant, or I explained it poorly. Our organization has about 1000 members. I have only very recently installed forums on our site at www.aka.org and only a limited number have so far signed up. At present, I have left it that members have to register themselves, using their membership number and password, which are assigned by our membership committee. Even though I have explicit instructions in red text on the registration agreement page, some of them still try to register using handles. When they try to join a members only usergroup, I then can't tell whether they are AKA members.

So, I would like to find a way to do mass registrations, importing from a tab delimited file (or equivalent) that would include, say, user ID (= membership number), password, and email address.
Barry Cooper
Sweet Home, OR
blueadmin

Post by blueadmin »

Try not to double post.

Do you just want their user names and passwords filled in?

If so you could try a sql query, im not sure about what it would be though, I will try to find out though.
Ho Ho Ho merry christmas
You Stuck? Read this before askinghere and here
Stefan Koopmanschap
Former Team Member

Post by Stefan Koopmanschap »

the only way I can think of is by importing a comma (or tab for that matter) delimitered (sp?) file into MySQL directly. You'd have to check the MySQL documentation for that though.
StevenW721

Post by StevenW721 »

from my limited knowledge, i believe you can do this, but you need to either set up a file with the same tab-for-tab fields or do it all manually through mySQL (which shouldn't be too bad with phpmyadmin). Also, you can stop people from registering altogether by disallowing usernames in the admin panel. Go to disallow names in the user admin panel and type in about 30 *'s and hit add, this will disallow any name from registering
The site - D3 - Blog for Web Developers
Art and Writing forum- SA Forum
The Art - Deviant Art

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”