Return of the "no mode specified"

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
warmweer

Return of the "no mode specified"

Post by warmweer » Thu Sep 04, 2003 9:05 pm

Just a remark (and maybe a solution) to an old problem.

History: I started with a 2.0.4 board on Lycos Tripod (free) and immediately had the typical Lycos problem (having to login twice and "no mode specified" when posting (sometimes). I applied all solutions and it worked for me (however I remember editing functions_post.php in Wordpad)

Updated to 2.0.5 and later to 2.0.6 and no problems but two or three weeks ago when Lycos introduced its extra column with advertisements, I noticed that the login at the bottom of the index-page required a second login. The login at the top works perfectly.

Just yesterday one of my moderators mentioned that he cannot reply to a post anymore, he can only create new topics (one other member confirmed this - it seems to happen once in a while).

So I read the posts here and noticed the posts about the smilies. But now I've looked at the code in functions_post.php (again) and I've seen absolutely nothing which points to a connection between the smilies and the lack of mode. However I did notice that my functions_post.php contained all little squares and then it dawned upon me. It's a new unedited version from 2.0.6 (which I've since edited using EditPlus - still the squares).

So now I've got this crazy idea that opening it in Wordpad and saving (if you then look at the file in Notepad it's readable) may solve the problem (I can't remember offhand in which php file the bottom login box is but I'm fairly certain that will also be an unedited version 2.0.6).

I'm going to try this possibility tomorrow (first get some feedback from my moderators) but thought I'ld post it here in case those with problems may want to check on that - because changing the number of rows or columns for the smilies could have chnaged the format of the file).

Hope to get some feedback on this.

BTW: no Support Template as of yet (I hope it won't be necessary)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

warmweer

Post by warmweer » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:06 pm

The smilies change didn't work.
Now I'll try using a "fixed" functions_post.php
Keeping my fingers crossed (result tomorrow)
My board's not broken, it just went peculiar

Emsley
Location: Beyoned NooBsville with tina turner beyond! i tell ya!!

Post by Emsley » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:54 pm

Turn of pop up blockers.
And any firewalls that work as pop up blockers.

Leave your forum.
Go back post and voila!!!

I was getting the no post specified as well.
And sadly i am a Lycos Free user to.
Not for much longer thogh my forum is going to a better place :twisted:
THE SLATE is clean.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”