Recover lost password with only email

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
kipo

Recover lost password with only email

Post by kipo »

Hi,

To recover passwords the users have to know their usernames and the emailadresses they registered on the board. But when the users of my board forget their passwords they often also forget their usernames. How can I change this so that they only have to enter their emailadress to recover the password?

Have searched this forum, read the FAQ and the documents for phpBB 2.0.x but did not found anything helpful.

Any help is appreciated.
ric323
Former Team Member
Name: Ric

Re: Recover lost password with only email

Post by ric323 »

That is part of the security of the "Lost password" facility.
How many members do you have? Can't they just have a browse through the memberlist to remember their username.
If there's only a couple this has happened to, you can easily find the username for them using the Admin Toolkit link in my sig.
The Knowledge Base contains solutions to many common problems!
How to fix "Doesn't have a default value" and "Incorrect string value: xxx for column 'post_text' " errors.
How to do a clean re-install of the latest phpBB3 version.
Problems with permissions? Read phpBB3 Permissions
Slackervaara

Post by Slackervaara »

I manually use phpMyAdmin för this and searches in the table phpbb_user for the email address and then you get the username, but this problem happens for me only 1-2 per year.
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

You can use Forgot Username MOD, this MOD allows to recover a forgotten username by only introducing an email adress. Username will be resend.

Of course this only works if your user hasn´t forgotten his email adress he registered with.
For phpBB2 support visit phpBB2refugees.
kipo

Post by kipo »

Thank you for your answers.
ric323 wrote:That is part of the security of the "Lost password" facility.
How many members do you have? Can't they just have a browse through the memberlist to remember their username.
If there's only a couple this has happened to, you can easily find the username for them using the Admin Toolkit link in my sig.
We have nearly 30.000 members and growing fast right now. So browsing the members list is not an option. It also happens quit often. I will check out that admin toolkit if there isn't an easier solution.
Slackervaara wrote:I manually use phpMyAdmin för this and searches in the table phpbb_user for the email address and then you get the username, but this problem happens for me only 1-2 per year.
We also do this today, but with the board growing fast right now the situation is getting out of hand.
Dogs and things wrote:You can use Forgot Username MOD, this MOD allows to recover a forgotten username by only introducing an email adress. Username will be resend.

Of course this only works if your user hasn´t forgotten his email adress he registered with.
Nice, will check it out. It seems like a lot of trouble getting back lost passwords this way, but probably better than nothing or doing it manually.

Don't know what phpBB 3.0 offers but I hope this issue will be resolved in the future.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”